24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Still Need HELP! TC SLIPPING???

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still Need HELP! TC SLIPPING???

I am having a new problem with my 2002 47RE Tranny. At 55 / 60 mph the tach will rev up 100/200rpm in OD if I get on it to pass, say on a small grade.
I have read all the post here about TC failure and the "hunting" 3rd/OD problem and can not find a match to my problem. NO SHUDDER!! on mine, just a rev up of the engine and then the revs adjust back as I accelerate.
I am running an edge EZ on a stock truck.

OK, I have orderded the filter and will do the other "hunting fixes" but my question is;

HAS ANYONE HAD A TC SLIPPING THAT DID NOT CAUSE A SHUDDER, ONLY A TACH REV INCREASE THAT GOES AWAY AS SPEED INCREASES????? (At 55 / 60 mph the tach will rev up 100/200rpm in OD if I get on it to pass A CAR IN OD)
Old 01-17-2009, 07:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't consider myself an expert on these trannies, but here is what I think is going on.
The third gear hydraulic circuit is leaking, this drops the pressure for lock up.
Put a gauge on the line pressure port ( middle tap passenger side), read it and compare it to the front port.
If they are the same , this is ideal. I bet you will see more that 5psi difference. Front port is third gear and is lower than line.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:48 PM

After reading your post several times, it sounds like the tc is acting normal. When accelerating ( when passing cars, hills), the ecm will disengage the tc first, then if needed downshift the trans. You can really notice this when the od is off,in 3rd gear, with a steady gas peddle, turn on the od. the tc will unlock, shift to 4(od) and re-lock the tc.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:33 AM

Just curious what happens when you kick it out of OD? Does the "shudder" go away?
Old 01-18-2009, 06:34 PM

next time your tc locks up, just lightly tap the brake while it is locked while you are still accelerating. if it disengages you are kind of ok, doesn't mean it is working right, just that it is locking, allegedly, if nothing happens, then there may be a problem with your tc.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:46 PM

Sounds like you are overpowering the stock setup. Get more gonads for tranny.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:44 AM

Gellibee asked;
"Just curious what happens when you kick it out of OD? Does the "shudder" go away?"

It does not "shudder" that's what is strange, it acts just like when your in 3rd locked and then goes to 3rd unlocked and back to locked when under load. I thought that OD should never go unlocked? As dozer12216 said; "Sounds like you are overpowering the stock setup".
My edge EZ puts out 600 ftlb of torque and I think I read somewhere that the stock TC handles 550/600 ftlb???????

Any other ideas????
Old 01-19-2009, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by RAM123
Gellibee asked;
"Just curious what happens when you kick it out of OD? Does the "shudder" go away?"

It does not "shudder" that's what is strange, it acts just like when your in 3rd locked and then goes to 3rd unlocked and back to locked when under load. I thought that OD should never go unlocked? As dozer12216 said; "Sounds like you are overpowering the stock setup".
My edge EZ puts out 600 ftlb of torque and I think I read somewhere that the stock TC handles 550/600 ftlb???????

Any other ideas????

I dont think your overpowering the TC mine had an EZ and 80hp injectors and mine would not do as you describe. I think you are describing normal hunting (electrical noise issues or as J-fox stated a pressure loss issue) if you had a shudder I believe the TC would be slipping.

again I dont know enough to diagnoise your issue, but I'd start with eliminating the electrical noise, then take it from there
Old 01-19-2009, 11:09 PM

A slipping lock-up clutch does not have to shudder. A rise in rpm is a first indicator. That was how mine failed.
I don't think the clutch is unlocking with only a 200 rpm rise on a stock converter? You can test per hic316 instructions to tap the brake.

Once you verify it is slipping then drive it very easy and avoid anymore slipping of the clutch. It will save destroying the transmission with clutch material.

BTW, if the lock-up clutch is slipping there is NO cure except for replacement. It doesn't stop there. As J-Fox mentioned you need to find the root cause of the TCC failure. It may simply be the power increase from the EZ. My transmission was perfect except for the burned TCC at 95k. Often there is inernal problems that are cured with a competent rebuild plus upgraded valve body.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:08 PM

Thanks for all the inputs so far. I have the "FILTER UNIT" on order and will try that with an APS reset and ground cleaning etc.

If my Tourque converter is just starting to slip, based on extra torque from from Edge EZ mod, will a valve body upgrade and fluid hole "drill-out" help give me more TC clutch pressure??????

Thanks, BILL
Old 01-20-2009, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by RAM123
Thanks for all the inputs so far. I have the "FILTER UNIT" on order and will try that with an APS reset and ground cleaning etc.

If my Tourque converter is just starting to slip, based on extra torque from from Edge EZ mod, will a valve body upgrade and fluid hole "drill-out" help give me more TC clutch pressure??????

Thanks, BILL
Does it do it with your mystery switch on?? If it does it is slipping.
A shift kit will do wonders, look at my cp I am running my edge on level 5 with no problems.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Fueling around
BTW, if the lock-up clutch is slipping there is NO cure except for replacement. It doesn't stop there. As J-Fox mentioned you need to find the root cause of the TCC failure.
Once a converter clutch slips you cannot recover. It must be replaced. A transmission clutch pack can survive some slippage.
A valve body upgrade is a very good start.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:57 AM

Thanks again, I will keep everyone up to date on progress, the filter should be here within the week!
I've got a quote for ~$1200 for Billet TC clutch replacement and valve body valve upgrades + drill-out of fluid pressure hole. This quote is from a southern AZ independent that seams to know his stuff? He put the computer on it and test drove it, concluding I should correct the lockup noise problem before considering a TC change. The lockup/noise problem he saw was at 50 mph and min throttle and not my "60mph+ passing on a hill slipping TC symptom".
Old 01-21-2009, 03:54 PM

If think is RFI noise, try this. Get a old ignition condenser and hook lead to alt output and mount to alt hsg. Could check brushes for arcing also.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:21 PM

TC Slipping UPDATE

Ok, got my noise filter today and installed it on the truch computer per instructions. The filter has a torroid and capacitor to filter noise. Will test drive it tomorrow to see if it solves the 45/50mph unloaded TC unlocking.

I also called the folks at DTT and talked to one of there techs. He was very helpful and said before you think about a new TC do the following. Drain the ATF4 out of the tranny, lossen the valve body and let that drain too. Then change the filter and replace the fluid with DextonIII and see if the "loaded under power" slip is gone. (on a hill ~60mph, see above posts). He also said if I get any shudder add a tube of the red Lube. He also said that the Wally World Hi-Tech ATF4 (that I am using) is know for this "slipping" problem more than Mopar ATF4.

My question is have any of you done this fluid swap and with what results?

Thanks, Bill

Quick Reply: Still Need HELP! TC SLIPPING???