24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Still having Shifting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Still having Shifting Issues

I am still having trouble shifting. I have change the tranny fluid, I am certain that I have 6 quarts of Redline MTL in the transmission.

She does not want to shift easily in 1-4, just plain difficult even when warm. If I am stopped I can run through all the gears after I get into one of them very easily.

Ok so tranny fluid ruled out. Clutch is not slipping. What could it be and how do I fix it?
Old 04-12-2008, 05:26 AM

Hey just take a peek at my thread. It might help. https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=200472
Old 04-12-2008, 05:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chances are good the Pilot Bearing is not allowing the imput shaft to spin free enough for the sycros to work. Another pilot bearing issue is not being able to get into gear when stopped.

Dave
Old 04-13-2008, 07:24 AM

Unfortunately, by the time the pilot bearing gets bad enough to start causing hard shifts, the transmission is ruined. I know this first hand. Pilot bearing went out and caused input shaft bearing to wear out and this caused the hard shift issue described above. Rebuilt trans, new clutch (old one got oil from trans on it) and a real pilot bearing (took flywheel to machine to have them cut it and install) fixed all shifting issues. Now shifts as fast as I can move the shift lever (cold or hot). I also run 8 quarts amsoil (yes this is a lot, but the transmission builder strongly recommended this amount and type).

Robbie.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by RPegram
Unfortunately, by the time the pilot bearing gets bad enough to start causing hard shifts, the transmission is ruined. I know this first hand. Pilot bearing went out and caused input shaft bearing to wear out and this caused the hard shift issue described above. Rebuilt trans, new clutch (old one got oil from trans on it) and a real pilot bearing (took flywheel to machine to have them cut it and install) fixed all shifting issues. Now shifts as fast as I can move the shift lever (cold or hot). I also run 8 quarts amsoil (yes this is a lot, but the transmission builder strongly recommended this amount and type).

Robbie.
How are you putting 8 quarts in? Through the top?
Old 04-13-2008, 08:49 PM

If you put the truck in gear and keep the clutch depressed, will it start moving on its own? mine did this and was hard to get in gear-was the clutch slave cylinder assembly.just my 2cents.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:39 PM

No catch point hasnt changed any. Clutch is fine.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:41 PM

I did not run the truck for awhile about a week (fuel prices) and now im driving it again for work and its shifting alot better.

The tranny change probably only has a hundred or so miles on it do the fluids have to get worked in or something?

Do you think it would hurt if i poored another 2 quarts in on top of the 6 quarts i have already with a stock tranny?

Thanks Rob
Old 04-13-2008, 11:49 PM

I added Lubegard gear fluid supplement. Napa stocks it next to the grease. The directions say to add 3 oz per quart, I added 2 bottles to 6 or 7 quarts of fluid. Hope this helps, Sam.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Thundercraft
How are you putting 8 quarts in? Through the top?
The builder of the trans (Southern Gear in GA) drilled and tapped another fill plug that is about the same level as the top bolt in the pto plate. I filled it through the top until it ran out their new fill hole. It did not run out until I had poured almost 8 qts in. I put in the plug and dumped the last remaining couple of ounces in. Shifts great with no leaks anywhere. They supplied the oil and the new fill plug, so I figured they knew what the trans needed. They also gave me a 1 year unlimited mileage warranty. So far no problems.

Robbie.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:52 PM

Thanks maybe ill poor some more in just for giggles when i get a chance but shes shiften great now. So im not gonna complain.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:55 PM
CCB

HELP! I think my slave or master cylinder went out... Here are my symptoms, let me know what you think. VERY VERY hard shifts if even able to get it in gear at all, stand still or moving. With the transfer case in neutral I can shift through all the gears smooth as silk. If I shift the transfer case to neutral put it in first with the clutch in I can barely get the transfer case back into 2H and the truck starts moving (clutch still in) This all started today pulling around 7000 lbs on the interstate...
What do you guys think.