24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

still have code 1693

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
still have code 1693

Just replaced my vp44 to get rid of code 1688 which worked. My problem is that it will still not keep 60mph up a small hill on the highway. When I first got the truck it would accelerate very easy. I checked my codes and got the 1693 which I had before. I know this is a lack of comunication between the dodge ecm and cummins pcm. I had it at the dealer last week and they did not get this 1693 code. I am going to have to take it back to the dealer to see what they get unless anyone has any ideas it sucks driving this truck the way it is
Old 01-27-2007, 01:05 PM
Chapter President

You must be fuel or air starved, have you traced the routes for each? (Turbo hoses for air, fuel filter path for fuel, FP before and after filter, etc.)...
Old 01-28-2007, 12:02 AM
Banned

same boat
I just put a new vp44,apps,mapsensor,3 new carter lift pumps, and now getting a FASS150gph.

few thousand or so and I also still have a p1693.
now my 20,000thousand dollar CTD just sets in a garage.
Good Times

Im just kinda shopping ECM's now.
Ill be "darned" if I have some dealer work on it.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:36 AM

Ya checked all the fuel and air stuff. These things will not set the code 1693 though. I have a juice w/ attitude monitor coming in any day, I will the be able to diagnose my problems hopefully a little easier
Old 01-30-2007, 01:54 AM

I just found the 1693 code today using my OBDII reader. No MIL, and no other codes were found with the reader. I'm wondering if I need to take my truck in to a shop to further diagnose the codes? I do feel that my IP is just beginning to take a dive.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:37 AM

No man I dont think that it is your pump. If it was your pump you would get a 1688 or 0216? You probly have the same prblem as me. I am going back to the dealer tomorow because they bto do not know what that code means but was going to investigate.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:58 PM

Took my truck back to the dealer today they have no idea what the code 1693 is. The mechanic even talked to some other diesel people and they do not know. Anyway the code has disapeared for several days now. I am going to tow a trailer this weekend and install my edge with attitude hopfully. Iwill then know how bad it is actually running
Old 02-02-2007, 12:09 AM

I'm in the same boat, er truck. Will have my Juice/Attitude installed soon. Just need to get the correct harness and I'm in buisness. Don't plan on tapping the VP though because of my weak tranny and possibly weak VP.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:18 AM

For me, the 1693 comes and goes. I drove from Modesto to Fresno with the bright yellow engine light on; checked the codes via triple key twist and got it. After I loaded my sister inlaw's Sebring on the trailer...started up...no light...no codes I am dumb founded
Old 02-02-2007, 01:11 AM

both my 98 and 2002 have the 1693 constantly. it doesn't trip the check engin light though
Old 02-02-2007, 05:41 PM

i recently had a issue with the VP acting up...i changed the fule filter and primed the cannister with tranny fluid....no check engine light and the truck runs like a champ now...i guess there was vavle or something stuckin the pump but its all good now!
Old 02-02-2007, 06:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The 1693 code tells you that there is a code that can only be retireved via a diagonostic tool, like what the dealers have, I used a Snap-on scanner to retieve mine. In my case the code was tripped after I unplugged the ECM to do the APPS reset. Its a soft code and if the problem goes away on its on(like it did after I re-connected the ECM plug) the code will automatically clear itself after "X" number of start ups and shut downs(5?). If your truck is struggling to make 60mph you definatly have a problem and an edge won't help it.

I don't know how the timing gear installs onto a VP but when you installed the new VP is it posible that the timing slipped like can happen to a p pump?
Old 02-04-2007, 12:15 AM

I had an odd thing on mine, the air filter indicator said 100% (and I wasnt sure if that meant 100% good or 100% blocked) and as it is a new truck to me, I checked the filter visually.
Wow! I dont think it had ever been changed in 77,000 miles, it was gross, had moths and 1/4 inch of gunk on the ribs.
Replaced it and now there isnt a whistle when the turbo spools up ! But the indicator still says 100%...
Old 02-04-2007, 02:47 AM

Did you reset the indicator? Mine has never worked when I got the truck with 275,000 miles on it.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by cLAYH
The 1693 code tells you that there is a code that can only be retireved via a diagonostic tool, like what the dealers have, I used a Snap-on scanner to retieve mine. In my case the code was tripped after I unplugged the ECM to do the APPS reset. Its a soft code and if the problem goes away on its on(like it did after I re-connected the ECM plug) the code will automatically clear itself after "X" number of start ups and shut downs(5?). If your truck is struggling to make 60mph you definatly have a problem and an edge won't help it.

I don't know how the timing gear installs onto a VP but when you installed the new VP is it posible that the timing slipped like can happen to a p pump?
I realize that the edge will not solve my problem I want it more for the trouble shooting end of it as I have no gauges. There is a half moon key on the shaft of the pump I think that it would be hard to screw up. I have not seen any codes for about two weeks now. I wonder if it was set from the bad vp44. Truck still runs like crap was towing a aluminum snowmobile trailer with two sleds (1400 lbs) had it to the floor on a number of occasions to maintain 60mph. I am going to look at my apps again. I can hear the motor trying to pull but just dosen't go. Does anyone know if apps will cause this or does it make the motor not respond at all, and would I get a code for sure if this was the case. thanks

Quick Reply: still have code 1693