24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Stalling

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 08:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks MOUSE! I run fuel conditioner in it every now and then. What is the best fuel conditioner? What other type of maintance is required to keep this thing alive?
Old 07-16-2004, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by 13FOX
What other type of maintance is required to keep this thing alive?
You might want to consider some gauges since you are slightly modded... fp at the least to monitor the lp...
Old 07-17-2004, 04:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes I know i need some guages. I am going to get some when my truck gets here to Germany. It will give me something to do on the weekends.l Just ordered a BHAF. It's an AFE filter w/heat shield and recharge kit. It will let the old girl breathe a little better. After the guages, going to order a new torque converter then a FASS to complete the projects for the rest of the year. Maybe the FASS mite come first, cuase the trans is still strong as can be even when I have dogged the crapp out of it after the mods.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:32 PM

the update

Originally posted by roadranger
Be interesting to see if the dealer considers the Fass to be a "major" mod to the fuel system and voids the warranty...

Let us know!
well, I took the truck in this morning and it took them like 3 hrs to tell me I would have to reconnect my stock fuel system before they would be able to test and diagnose a possible VP-44 problem... then it took them another 3 hrs to get me back into my truck. I've decided to just keep watching my fp and deal with the problem later. I don't feel like setting up another appointment and then reconnecting the stock fuel system. As far as the FASS and warranty I got absolutely no answer on the topic. It was a maybe, maybe not but you'll have to first reconnect the old crap so we can determine(by pressure testing) what the "problem" is. I was skeptical when one of the questions the service rep asked me before looking under the hood was whether I had made any performance mods to the injection pump.... basically telling me that they know there are problems with the stock setup but refuse to fix them.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:18 PM

Fixed...For Now

Took it to the 5-star today. They replaced the lift pump as it was only putting out 3psi. I talked with them about the injector pump and they said in about 30% of the cases of lift pump failure, the injector pump will fail soon after...but until it fails, they are not able to do anything further. Gotta love it...

The service manager went on to recommend that fuel pressure gauges be installed (They are currently recommending / doing this on all new / used diesels that they sell). Also, when the truck is out of warrantee, install a FASS.

It looks like I've got 7 months and / or 14,000 miles to have an injector pump failure...

Thanks to all that have helped....
Old 07-19-2004, 08:01 PM

Well... I left for work with the intention of dropping it off to have the FP checked and to see what new codes had arisen. On Friday it acted up 3 times on the way home from work. Got 2 miles from the house this a.m.. stopped at the light to get on the freeway.. coughed twice and died..
Had to pull the pig home with a little v6 Ford F-150.. and then had to drive it to work.. gawd I miss that big ol truck... anyhow had it towed to the dealer.. will let y'all know tomorrow what was the verdict.. wish me luck..
(out of warranty w/170,000 miles)
Old 07-20-2004, 04:57 PM
Banned

Grizzly Bear: So are you having any more dead pedal or white smoke problems after the lift pump change or what? you left the biggest detail of all out ..and BTW guys, mine has not set the 0216 code yet and is doing the same thing, just a check engine light now and dies in the morning.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:52 AM

So far so good

I have not had any further problems...yet. I am expecting the injector pump to die some Saturday night, either in the rain or snow, a million miles from anywhere.

But for right now it runs normal. No dead pedal, no smoke, no problems starting, no missing.