24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Stalling

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stalling

I have a '00 4x4 2500 86,000 miles (100% stock) and have experienced a couple of concerning events lately. About 2 weeks ago, I was cruising down the highway (unloaded) at 70 MPH and all of a sudden the motor cut out. There was no response to the accelerator (didn't notice any smoke) This lasted for about 5 - 10 seconds and then picked back up again and returned to normal. Now yesterday, I am idling in the driveway (only about 2 minutes from a cold start) and the engine starts missing badly. Again, no response at all to the accelerator and heavy blue / whitish smoke coming from the tail pipe. It chugged / missed for abou0t 5 - 10 seconds then died. I tried to restart (key still on) but all it would do is crank. I waited a couple of minutes (key still on) and retried but it would only crank (not even a hint of firing). I turned the key off, waited a few more minutes and tried to start it again. It started, coughed, blew more smoke and then returned to normal. Drove it yesterday and today with no hint of a problem.

I checked the codes on the odometer but it displayed the P1693 Error in the ECM code. I do not have a code reader handy to dig further...yet. I also do not have gauges for the fuel pressure. I am guessing that I might have an injector / lift pump problem. I am going to get the codes read as soon as I can and see if that give more info.

Am I on the right track or is there another likely cause?
Old 07-13-2004, 01:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lift Pump! Open the hood and locate your lift pump down by the #6 cylinder below the fuel filter housing. Get in the cab and turn the key to the start position (but don't start the truck!) wait for about 5seconds and bump the starter (not starting the truck!), you should hear the lift pump start to self prime and it should run for 25seconds before its quits. If you don't hear the lift pump start to prime, more than likely that is your problem and in that case replace it. The symtoms you describe above sound like it the lift pump and that's were I would put my money. The 2gen. 24V's are prone to premature lift pump failure. You should go ahead and replace the L/P. Can get one at NAPA or Cummins shop for around $160.00. Don't go to the dealer, they'll rip you off. Hope this helps and let me know how it turned out.
Old 07-13-2004, 03:15 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Well, even if the lift pump buzzes it doesn't mean it works.
Easy way to find out is to hook up a rubber hose to the fuel port towards the inj. pump and do a flow test. ( I think the amount it should deliver is in the tech facts section)

Based on your symptoms the chances for the injection pump being bad are quite high. Try to get the codes read, and look out for a P0216. (P1693 is a code that says that there is a code in some companion module)

AlpineRAM
Old 07-13-2004, 04:35 PM

Grizzly, the 1693 code meand there is another code set in the ecm from the sound of your symptoms you may be looking at a vp-44 problem mine had symptoms similar to yours when the vp-44 was in death mode. check fuel pressure at the bango fitting on the pump, pull codes, and see if there any related pump codes present, i will bet there is, good luck.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:02 PM

I could be wrong, but since your under 100k miles, the Cummins 100k warrenty should cover both the lp and fp. When I took mine in a few months back, I thought that I was gonna have to pay my extended warrenty deductable (shot lp) but they handed me my keys and I was on my way, w/ a new lp. Good luck.
Old 07-13-2004, 07:59 PM

Thanks for the help and am glad to see that I am on the right track. I am borrowing a code scanner tomorrow and hope to learn more. Weather depending, I may do a flow check on the lift pump as well. After which I am going to give the 5-star a call. I have the extended warrantee as well as the Cummings warrantee so I hope to get out of this one without a big "OUCH".

If the lift pump is bad, I am thinking about replacing it with a FASS or other option so I (hopefully) don't have to deal with the LP again (The current LP was replaced with the 2000 recall already).

I'll repost when I know more...
Old 07-14-2004, 11:13 AM

When the Lift pump goes bad- and they DO quite frequently- that puts a heavy strain on the VP-44 Injection pump and can cause early failure of the Injection pump.

Your "dead pedal" symptoms are classic for the VP-44 failing. Pretty soon it will degenerate to the "failure to start hot" symptoms. Then it will just drop dead on you leaving you on the side of the road.
Even if you put a Fass system on, the damage has been done to your VP-44, and it's dying.

No matter which Lift Pump system is used, it ought to be mandatory to install a Fuel Pressure gauge to determine WHEN (not if) the lift pump dies- in order to save your VP-44 Injection pump from imminent failure.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:08 PM

let me chime in on this topic because it appears I can no longer avoid the inevitable. In April I put on a FASS system and stupidly, I forgot to check my codes before the install. As I was sitting around with my brother shooting the breeze I remembered the code check and showed him how to do it since he essentially has an identical truck to mine. I checked them and showed P1693 and the dreaded P0216... I knew then that I would eventually have to replace my VP-44. Recently I've noticed things such as decreased fuel economy, "good" smoke under acceleration and yesterday I got the dead pedal twice. The FASS will help some(3 months in my case) with the dying VP-44 but death is inevitable. I'm about to call my local Dodge dealer and set up a hospital visit..... wonder how they are gonna view the FASS and warranty work.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:29 PM

[i]Originally posted by graphitecumnz

The FASS will help some(3 months in my case) with the dying VP-44 but death is inevitable. I'm about to call my local Dodge dealer and set up a hospital visit..... wonder how they are gonna view the FASS and warranty work.
Be interesting to see if the dealer considers the Fass to be a "major" mod to the fuel system and voids the warranty...

Let us know!
Old 07-15-2004, 03:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When will my vp44 bite the dust? My ctd has 129,000+ on it now. Changed out the orginal lift pump at 104,000. It worked great, but changed it out to be on the safe side. Is their a milage limit on the vp44. How exactly can I tell if it is still ok?
Old 07-15-2004, 03:50 PM

13FOX Depends on how it is maintaned, The VP-44 has a mind of it's own. My VP-44 went 140,000 miles before the lift pump killed it. I have heard of case's where they have exceeded 200,000 with proper lift pump replacement and monitoring of fuel pressure.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:36 PM

Originally posted by roadranger
Be interesting to see if the dealer considers the Fass to be a "major" mod to the fuel system and voids the warranty...

Let us know!
I should know early next week. I set my appointment for Monday morning... Right after I discovered the code in April, I contacted a guy at Cummins in KC and he didn't see a problem with the mod but it really depends on the service manager at the dealership I take it to. I live in Wichita so there's no tellin'. I had really good service on my 1500 with this dealer so I'm hoping for the best. I thought that I had read, perhaps on TDR, that when they put in a claim for warranty work on the VP-44 they have to send the pump back to Bosch for the approval... there is nothing physically different about the pump, i.e. no pierced wire(s) to visually void the warranty....

the VP-44 should last a reasonable amount of time as long as it is properly lubricated.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:44 PM

So Far

The lift pump runs for a few seconds when the key is turned on...most of the time. If I remember correctly over the last 4 years, the lift pump should run every time the key is turned on. So it looks like a flaky lift pump to start with.

I also pulled the codes and found that there was two P0234 Turocharger Overboost Condition errors. What is the typical cause of this error? Boost Pressure Sensor (had one fail in 2000)?

Looks like a trip to the ******* is in my future...
Old 07-15-2004, 09:21 PM

Re: So Far

Grizzly_Bear_69
fill in your signature so it's easier to tell what mods you may have on the truck...
Old 07-15-2004, 09:24 PM

Thought I did...sorry.

The truck is 100% stock.

Quick Reply: Stalling