24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Sounded Like A Backfire!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounded Like A Backfire!

well i'll tell the whole scenerio so you get the picture.

i was just sittin around at the gas station yesterday with my girlfriend and some buddies of mine. we were all talking about my recently added edge ez and if it made it smoke more, and i said "oh ya, you betcha, just wait and i'll show you when i leave". so then the time rolls around that i gotta get going, and of course i stick to my word. i fired my truck up, let it warm up a little, then started to lean in to the go peddal, and hard too, keep in mind, i'm still parked, not moving, so i'm revving it up. then it went something like this, swooossshhhhpopswoooooossssshhhh with a little bit of sputtering action when the "pop" hit too. after that the truck ran fine, and has been thus far, but i didn't think it was possible for a diesel to backfire, so does anyone have any ideas on what that noise might have been? i've reved it up and everything after that, and it just won't do it again. but it still worries me.

thanks for any help, i know it was a long post, but i had to draw you in
Old 06-03-2006, 02:15 PM

just refreshing my thread to the top, anyone have any info for me?
Old 06-03-2006, 05:25 PM

You just barked the turbo by letting off the go pedel to fast. It can cause damage to the turbo. I believe what is happening is that the back presure is causeing a reverse spin on the impeller blades of the turbo. Too many times of that & you will be looking for a new turbo.
Old 06-03-2006, 05:47 PM

When mine did that Dodge had to put a new injector pump in it.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:36 AM

no, it wasn't the turbo barking, i know what that sounds like and i've done that too, but this was a constant rev and it popped, spitted, and sputtered as the tach climbed higher in RPM. there was also a very short break in the smoke coming out, by that i mean, when it did the poppy thing, it didn't smoke, but very quick.

and dodge, did "dodge" put the new pump in when the turbo barked or are you saying it did the poppy thing too, just confused?
Old 06-04-2006, 02:12 PM

No my turbo didn't have anything to do with it my injector pump was bad. I was doing the same thing as you, revving it up in neutral and it made the same sounds. Check your codes and see what you get. I took my to Dodge b/c I was under warranty and they replaced it.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:23 PM

ok dodge, i'll check the codes, i'll keep ya posted!
Old 06-04-2006, 04:26 PM

ok i pulled the codes with the on off on off on trick and i got P0236, i did a search but didn't sound like anything. what do ya'll think?
Old 06-04-2006, 04:54 PM
Banned

thats exactly what my truck did when the IP went bad...its prolly starting to slowly die.

when i would start it, anytime i tried to rev it, the thing would pop and sputter terrible, sometimes poured white smoke. a week later it got a new VP44
Old 06-04-2006, 05:00 PM

ok, i was scared of that, so i wanna let you all know that last night i ordered a fuel pressure guage so when that gets here i'll hook it up asap too. that'll tell me something too, right?
Old 06-04-2006, 05:32 PM
Banned

it could, if you have low pressure that will def show if the VP is slowly dying, but its quite possible that could die with good fuel pressure too.

if it is starting a slow death, the good thing is you may have time to save money before it goes completely. i bought my truck in july 04 with 0216 code already showing (but i had no idea what that meant at the time) it made it all the way to june 05 before i made an appt to have it replaced...and even then i hadnt been stranded, i just had the dead pedal syndrome and the popping when trying to rev sometimes.

ps- p0236 is just the over boost code, basically saying that your MAP sensor has gotten a reading that is above the normal boost parameters
Old 06-04-2006, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by getblown5.9
it could, if you have low pressure that will def show if the VP is slowly dying, but its quite possible that could die with good fuel pressure too.

if it is starting a slow death, the good thing is you may have time to save money before it goes completely. i bought my truck in july 04 with 0216 code already showing (but i had no idea what that meant at the time) it made it all the way to june 05 before i made an appt to have it replaced...and even then i hadnt been stranded, i just had the dead pedal syndrome and the popping when trying to rev sometimes.

ps- p0236 is just the over boost code, basically saying that your MAP sensor has gotten a reading that is above the normal boost parameters

you know my truck has never showed a overboost code.. adn im runnign twins.. haha
Old 06-05-2006, 03:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by storx
you know my truck has never showed a overboost code.. adn im runnign twins.. haha
the beauty of a boost fooler...my truck with banks bighead wastegate always had the overboost code til i put a comp in...that took care of it
Old 06-05-2006, 10:00 AM

Ridiculous what is your truck? Year?
Old 06-05-2006, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by DODGE4X4
Ridiculous what is your truck? Year?
what do you mean, isn't it im my signature...well if it ain't showin up on ur end i have a 2002 Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel.

btw, may i ask why.

Quick Reply: Sounded Like A Backfire!