24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

something for you to ponder

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
something for you to ponder

Having taken in alot of advice from you all, and done a lot of reading in this forum, i have invested in a FPgauge, having installed it today. I think the it may have been the most useful thing iv'e done in a long time, The FPgauge reads as follows:

11 psi @ idle
6-7 psi @ wot
9-10 @ cruising speed.

At least it's working, all be it not to well, my question to you is--
Is it still covered by any warranty, the truck has done 51,234 miles, i am not the original owner and look to your left to see where i reside. I don't know how long the warranty lasts for, but i do know the original dealership it was brought from. It would be intresting to know here i stand.

Some input into which pump i should get would be a great help, as i can't see me having much luck in the warranty dept.

Thanks guys
Old 10-31-2004, 06:49 PM

That part is covered by the 100,000 mile warranty. Mine was replaced free and I am the second owner. Are there DC dealers over there that will service it?

If you end up buying out of your own pocket, I would either replace it with another stock pump purchased from Cummins (that should be your best price) or take the jump up to the FASS system.
Old 10-31-2004, 06:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
First things first, you might want to change your fuel filter if you haven't done so already. The numbers are pretty close to being in the "good" range so change the filter and see if the numbers improve. If they don't improve I would just monitor the gauge for a month or two. Gauges are susseptable to error just like anything else, and your gauge could be off. +or - 2 PSI is normal for guage accuracy IMHO.

IF you do need a LP for your truck stick with stock for now. PN#3990082 You won't need anymore pressure until you start adding bomb's. Buy the LP from a Cummins dealer, not a Dodge dealer. You'll save up to $215 USD.

My $.02 worth.

Good luck mate!
Old 10-31-2004, 07:26 PM

I agree those #'s arent that far off of normal. If you put your new fuel pressure gauge in post fuel filter it could very well be a dirty filter. Mine runs 14 idle 11 cruise & I can pull it down to 9 wot pulling a heavy load.

Good luck from this side of the pond.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:50 PM

Thanks for the answers, first i changed the fuel filter only about 50 miles or so, which with hindsight was a good thing as it was very dirty.

Secondly, yes i take the point that the gauge might be inacurate, and should allow some tolerance, perhaps some of the fliud spilt in the isolator when i put it together, but i don't think so, i'll also bleed the fuel again to make sure.

Here in the UK we have Chrysler dealers and MB dealers they are in no way affiliated as dealerships.

At what point is it best to get a new LP, ie: what should be the minimum acceptible PSI readings, before it becomes esentual for renewal. Thanks again...
Old 11-01-2004, 01:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My minimums are....

10 PSI idle
8 PSI WOT

Anything below 5 PSI is a no go. Is your gauge pre or post filter?
Old 11-02-2004, 09:44 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: something for you to ponder

Originally posted by ade's ram
Having taken in alot of advice from you all, and done a lot of reading in this forum, i have invested in a FPgauge, having installed it today. I think the it may have been the most useful thing iv'e done in a long time, The FPgauge reads as follows:

11 psi @ idle
6-7 psi @ wot
9-10 @ cruising speed.

At least it's working, all be it not to well, my question to you is--
Is it still covered by any warranty, the truck has done 51,234 miles, i am not the original owner and look to your left to see where i reside. I don't know how long the warranty lasts for, but i do know the original dealership it was brought from. It would be intresting to know here i stand.

Some input into which pump i should get would be a great help, as i can't see me having much luck in the warranty dept.

Thanks guys
Others have covered the warrantee issue.

Your FP sounds fine to me.

JLH
Old 11-02-2004, 07:45 PM

Actually...DC now uses a volume test as opposed to pressure test. I don't recall the numbers, but know it's in here somewhere.