24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Something Stranged Happend today.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something Stranged Happend today. Please Help

Today i used my truck, it had been sitting for about 4 days total without moving. I started it up and headed on down the road, it was running fine and shifting fine. I stopped at the store to get something and i left the truck running with the AC on because it was hot out. I got back in the truck and pulled out on the road and it would not shift out of first gear . I pulled over to the side of the road, put it in park and then tried it again and the same thing happend. So next time, i put it in park and turn the truck of completely and the restarted it and it shifted fine, but i could have sworn i heard a screaching type noise. So i went down the road another couple of miles and had to make another stop. This time i turned the truck of completely and it sat for about 3 or 4 minutes. I come back out and fire the truck up and pull onto the road and again, it would not shift out of first gear. . I pulled over shut it down and restarted it and took off and everything worked fine, this time no screaching noise. I ran the truck all day after that and it ran fine with no problems. I am concered with why it did not shift out of first, it just went up to 3K plus rpms with no shift. I am also worried about what the noise i heard was after the first time it happend. So to recap, it would not shift out of first today, it happend twice and that is all, after those two incidents, the truck ran great. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I checked the fluid and it was fine, right where it should be on the dipstick. Anyone else had anything similar to this happen. Thanks for you time and Input.
Old 05-27-2006, 06:16 PM

I can't really help with your problem, other than suggest calling DTT. Since it is their tranny, that is where I would start.

Don't know if it would be just a VB problem or not.
Old 05-27-2006, 06:19 PM

yeah, i tried to call the guy that built it, but he is not in his shop this weekend. I will give DTT a call, thanks for your advice
Old 05-28-2006, 01:43 AM

anyone else have any ideas as to what may have happend? Thanks
Old 05-28-2006, 08:07 AM
Banned

I by no means am familiar with their tranny, but electrical gremlins always come to mind when odd things happen, if there is any electronics to that tranny, check the connection, might have gotten a keeper tab cracked on removal - reinstall or just loose............
Old 05-28-2006, 11:33 AM

yeah there is a bunch of electrical parts to the tranny, there are two DTT boxes on the firewall on the passegers side of the truck, but i do not now enough about what they do or how they are hooked up. I will take a look around though to see if anything looks out of the ordinary
Old 05-29-2006, 09:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mike, are you sure it was first gear and not second?

The reason I ask is that Scott told me it (second gear starts) may (or may not) happen on my truck. He said if it did just stop the truck, shut it down, wait a minute, then restart.

It has not happened to me...yet.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:28 PM

It deffinetly felt like first gear start and not a second gear start. It was real peppy when i stepped on the gas and it was not laggy like i would imagine it to be if it started off in second. I will give scott a call tomorrow and talk to him and see what he thinks. Thanks
Old 05-29-2006, 05:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
have you checked the fluid level?
Old 05-29-2006, 05:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
if it is electrical related, I would say its the govenor solenoid going out.

cheap and easy to fix
Old 05-29-2006, 07:55 PM

yeah i checked fluid and it is right were it should be, thanks for the advice, i hope it is something easy and simple, thanks
Old 05-29-2006, 08:30 PM

Smile Help is here

One of my ole tricks to get a automatic transmission to stop acting up is to start the truck up when the engine is cold, put it in neutral, shove the pedal furthest to the right against the floor and jerk it into gear. That has always worked for me jk dont try that.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
One of my ole tricks to get a automatic transmission to stop acting up is to start the truck up when the engine is cold, put it in neutral, shove the pedal furthest to the right against the floor and jerk it into gear. That has always worked for me jk dont try that.

Nice....
Old 05-30-2006, 05:44 PM

I called the scott at mass diesel and described to him what the problem is and he said that it was my Vehicle speed sensor and that it is easy and cheap to replace and i can do it in my driveway. He said that 90% of the time that this is what causes the problem. Does this sound correct to any of you guys. I checked codes and i had p0501 which i think has something to do with the vehicle speed sensor.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:05 PM

You're right about the code: P0501 Vehicle Speed Sensor Range/Performance, I'm sure he knows what he's talking about!

Quick Reply: Something Stranged Happend today.