24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

So vrs HO pump?? lack of power on cold start??

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 01:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So vrs HO pump?? lack of power on cold start??

Hello.... just picked up a 2000 3500 Dually 2x4 auto with 161k on the clock... everything seems good except 2 things... I have that dead spot at around 60mph around 18-1900 rpm.... and real lack of power around there... But no codes... Have not checked fuel pressure yet... SO its seems like I will be replacing the VP pump soon (cash allowing) what is the deal with the SO versus the HO ? what about the aftermarket modified pumps? I am stock right now and want to build this truck to be a good daily driver with max fuel mileage(will be posting on another thread for help with that) some decent power but not at the sacrafice of MPG... Where is most economical place to get a rebuilt pump? any tricks or weird things to know about installing one? and 2nd question, when i start the truck cold it barely moves, then when it warms up it runs normal? My last truck was a 2001 SO 2wd auto and I never had that problem...thanks for the help, sorry about the long post....
Rick
Old 09-14-2007, 07:12 AM

Could be TPS or VP related..... As for the pumps, if you are going to keep the truck at or 500 RWHP stay with the HO pump. If you are wanting more HP look into the SO pump. All bosch certified shops rebuild the pumps to the same specs. Don't be fooled into the marketing hype. I would purchase a pump with a good warranty and from a dealer you trust. Street pricing now is under $1100 exchange.

Doug
Old 09-14-2007, 07:59 AM

I bought my HO back in the beginning of February, and I had a dead spot in the power band from 1900-2200rpms the entire time I've owned it. Just put a new pump on (I went with a SO) and not only does it idle and run smoother, but that dead spot is also gone. I would check your apps first though.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Jetpilot
As for the pumps, if you are going to keep the truck at or 500 RWHP stay with the HO pump. If you are wanting more HP look into the SO pump.
Doug
I thought you could not put a HO pump on a SO truck???
Old 09-14-2007, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by can17
I thought you could not put a HO pump on a SO truck???
Hmmmm, I assumed by his post that he had an HO truck..... I see his sig is an auto so if thats the truck he should just keep his SO pump. But on another note you can install an HO pump on an SO, I know at least one guy who did that.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by emailrick1
... 2nd question, when i start the truck cold it barely moves, then when it warms up it runs normal? Rick
Start with simple stuff first.....
-Tranny Fluid level...checked running, warm and in neutral? (I assume you know this from previous CTD, but .....??)
-If tranny fluid 'check ball' removed, for better flow, it will take 30-60 sec in the morning to fill up tranny with fluid..... so does it need several minutes to warm up, or just one min. to fill up?

RJ
Old 09-16-2007, 05:11 PM

ROWJ,

Ya it takes SEVERAL minutes, at least 5-10... It is really weird, It starts perfect, almost no smoke, smooth idle... put it in gear and it barely moves. In neutral you can hold the pedal to the floor and it wont rev over 2k .... then after it is warm its just like you flipped a switch and it revs fast and pulls good. Tranny was rebuilt factory cooler bypassed no check ball.... its not the trans... the engine has no power until warm.... I disconnected both batteries,waited 30 minutes and with the key on hooked the batteries back up... no different.... I checked fuel pressure, have 10-12 lbs at idle and drops to about 7-8 when I WOT to redline in Neutral. fuel press does not change at idle cold or hot... Any clues? I have seen where fuel chips wont work until warm... I dont have any mods yet... otherwise truck runs great other than the dead spot around 1800-2000 especially when running about 60mph....

thanks

Rick
Old 09-16-2007, 05:17 PM

Also, yes its a SO truck... I was wondering "IF" I needed to put a VP on it, should I stay with the SO or look into a "modified" pump for possible future mods...?? I figured I was going to check and adjust my APPS next... Any other suggestions for Max MPG? will need to do some moderate towing too..