24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

So confused

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 09:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im not 100% sure but on alot of vehicles you cant just plug and play in a ECM they have to be initialized and recognized with a chrysler scan tool DRB-II and pretty sure vin has to be written in. also where did you get the Ecm used junk yard, other truck. i wouldnt put in a ecm unless you get it over a parts counter fromt dodge that is exactly the same.

i have been working at car dealerships for quiet some time and i have never seen a internal ECM processo code and have the problem not be the ECM.
i would double check where you got the ecm and if there is a procedure to initialize it. thats my 2 cents
Old 04-21-2010, 08:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnh
the key trick will work on an '02
It will work but frequently only gives a companion code indicating that you have a real code and need to go get a scanner. Also, key won't clear codes. So...why futz around?
Old 04-21-2010, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jturs
im not 100% sure but on alot of vehicles you cant just plug and play in a ECM they have to be initialized and recognized with a chrysler scan tool DRB-II and pretty sure vin has to be written in. also where did you get the Ecm used junk yard, other truck. i wouldnt put in a ecm unless you get it over a parts counter fromt dodge that is exactly the same.

i have been working at car dealerships for quiet some time and i have never seen a internal ECM processo code and have the problem not be the ECM.
i would double check where you got the ecm and if there is a procedure to initialize it. thats my 2 cents

We changed out a ECM on a Dodge ram van, and after the replacement, it ran ok, but wouldn't idle, and it brought up the ABS light. Hooked the scanner up, and it was a "mismatched VIN" code for the ABS. Took it into the dealer to get it programmed, and it was fine thereafter. So my guess would in this case it's gonna have to goto a dealer, too.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jturs

The ECM is the original with the vehicle, I had not replaced it.

I did end up towing it to the dealership due to my mechanic said the same thing about the ECM, he can replace it, but he can't program it and suggested just letting the dealership do it.

So, the dealership took the truck, ran their own diagnostics on it and found a failed APPS (Accelerator petal position sensor) and a failed ECM. The APPS shorted to ground and then the ECM shorted and failed. The dealership replaced both (after testing each individually to confirm both were bad), but the new ECM was bad out of the box, so they put another one in and the truck runs great and all the issues are fixed.

Notes:

"74353 4.00 Vehicle will not come off of idle and has a rough idle.
Found code P1286 - APPS voltage too high. Ran tests and found that APPS sensor needs to be replaced. Replaced sensor and problem has changed. Idle is smoother and signal to sensor is now intermittent. Did further tests and found that ECM needs to be replaced. Replaced ECM and programmed ECM. Vehicle seems to be running fine. Vehicle now is drivable, but is driving in a de-rated condition with a CEL. Found that there is now a short to ground on the voltage supply wire to APPS. Through several tests found that the short is in the ECM. Using Mopar warranty of ECM, replaced the ECM with yet another ECM. Programmed the ECM and all checks good and drives good now."

Parts used:
53031575AH LEVER-ACCELERATOR
R5083997AA MODULE-ENGINE COMPUTER