24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

smoke under hood

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
smoke under hood

hey guys I finally bouhg tmy 01 Dodge dieser 6 speed ad man do I love it... the only thing that I'm not liking is that the irrors arn't power but everything else is well except the seats ... but anyway the mirrors tilt down when drivin and I cna' tfind any set screws or anything and I was wondering if anyoine has any ideas and nother thing that I noticed that when I'm driving at about 110KPH which is about 65 or so MPH... I will pull over and there is a lil bit of smoke coming out of the hood from behind the passenger head light and I'm just wondering if anyone knows what it is...
Old 09-04-2004, 05:06 PM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
Thick smoke or a light haze? Open the hood and see where its coming from. I bet your seeing the vapors coming out of the breather bottle mounted on the front of the engine. Not much you can do to stop the vapors except for moving the end of the hose down and away from the engine to help stop the radiator and engine from gunking up.
Old 09-04-2004, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its a very light haze I cna see it best at night. and when I open the hood there is nothin at all thats smokin or steaming or anything... so it cna't be all that bad I don't think
thanks bud
Old 09-04-2004, 10:38 PM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
With your engine OFF, open the hood. Located at the front of the engine there is a 3/4 in. hose that goes upward then curves downward. Attatched to the bottom of the hose there is a black bottle between the block and the radiator fan. This is the catch bottle for the engine vent. These engines are not a closed loop design for emissions so the oily vapors exit there. The idea is to empty the collected oil in the bottle everytime you do an oil change but guys have realized that the oily vapors dont just sit in the bottle. They fly around because of the fan and get everywhere. Including the radiator, which is bad. After a while the radiator will clog up from oily crud and cause problems. The solution is to get a 3/4 in. connector at the hardware store and some extra 3/4 in. heater hose. The amount of hose obviously has to do with where you route it. Take off the bottle and connect the new hose to the old running it down under the engine to wherever you desire. Also a electrical conduit holding bracket will hold the hose to the block. My vent goes all the way to the fuel tank. Mainly you DONT want to let the hose dip at all causing a spot for oil to collect and block the vent, which will probably blow an engine seal. Hope this helps.