24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Sleeve for dana 80 axle ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sleeve for dana 80 axle ?

I have a disc brake dana 80 and have change the rear axle seal twice and its leaking again what size is this sleave if anyone knows cant find one in a parts store around here.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:47 AM

Couldn't tell you what size you need. Save yourself a second trip and lug the heavy axle shaft with you to a bearing shop that stocks Speedy Sleeves. They'll mic it for you and give you the correct size. Took my yoke in and that's how they knew.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:34 AM

its the seal that goes on the axle housing itself about 3 inch in diameter this is on a disc brake rear end
Old 08-02-2009, 09:56 AM

if the rear diff vent/hose is plugged it will cause axel/pinion seal leaks, usually folks replace seals and then it still leaks, then they find the plugged vent, if you have not checked yours its worth cleaning, (pay attention where the hose enters the diff, remove hose and use a screwdriver to see if nipple is clear)
Old 08-08-2009, 06:57 PM

More Power, I understand which seal your talking about, but the use of a sleeve is for the surface the seal is making contact with, as in the axle shaft. Inspect the area on the shaft that the rubber lip of the seal would be touching. If there is any sign of a groove then the seal will not be able to do it's job. This is where the Speedy Sleeve is used to make for a new contact surface. A bearing shop will be able to measure your axle's diameter and set you up with the proper sleeve.

Now if there is no groove or any other indication as to why the seal would not hold the oil back, and it's not leaking from where the seal is pressed into the axle housing, try coating the seal lip and the entire shaft with gear oil before inserting.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by FFmike
More Power, I understand which seal your talking about, but the use of a sleeve is for the surface the seal is making contact with, as in the axle shaft. Inspect the area on the shaft that the rubber lip of the seal would be touching. If there is any sign of a groove then the seal will not be able to do it's job. This is where the Speedy Sleeve is used to make for a new contact surface. A bearing shop will be able to measure your axle's diameter and set you up with the proper sleeve.

Now if there is no groove or any other indication as to why the seal would not hold the oil back, and it's not leaking from where the seal is pressed into the axle housing, try coating the seal lip and the entire shaft with gear oil before inserting.
You are talking about a semi-floating rear end. The full float seal surface is on the spindle, which if he is taking to the shop to be measured, would require taking the whole rear end out.

Get a set of calipers and mic the seal surface. I ended up going on Chicago-Rawhides side and finding the part number for the speedi-sleeve. I found the right ID/OD, but the depth was too long. I installed it and took a cut off wheel and trimed it to fit, then dressed the ends with a file. Been good for two or three years. A plugged vent caused it, btw. For the installation tool, I used a 3 foot long piece of PVC pipe that has a 3" ID. Take the speedi-sleeve to Home Depot and find a pipe that will fit. The installation tool that came with mine would defintely not work to install on the spindle.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by Tate
You are talking about a semi-floating rear end. The full float seal surface is on the spindle, which if he is taking to the shop to be measured, would require taking the whole rear end out.
Not sure which is which, only going by my Dana 80 DRW disc on my truck that had a leaking axle seal when first got truck. Found out hard way when almost lost truck in lake at boat ramp b/c gear oil coated set of parking brake shoes and wouldn't hold, even with engine off and in gear, loading boat by self.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:20 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FFmike
Not sure which is which, only going by my Dana 80 DRW disc on my truck that had a leaking axle seal when first got truck. Found out hard way when almost lost truck in lake at boat ramp b/c gear oil coated set of parking brake shoes and wouldn't hold, even with engine off and in gear, loading boat by self.
A full floating axle assembly (like your D80) does not have axle shaft seals. The only seal at the wheel is the inner wheel bearing seal in the bearing hub. It is pressed into the back of the bearing hub assembly and rides on a race on the spindle. The speedi-sleeve to repair the problem slips over the raceway on the spindle.

This has nothing to do with the axle shafts.

Like Tate said, if the OP wasn't able to measure the spindle himself, he would have to take the entire housing to a shop as the spindles are an integeral part of it.

Only a semi float rear has axle shaft seals....and there was never a 3/4 or 1 ton Dodge that had a semi float rear.