24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

shifting problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shifting problems

I am having trouble shifting into all gears at all times and was wondering if any body had any ideas what it might be. I was told that my clutch was not disengaging all the way an my input shaft was still barely spinning. The problem did start after having a new input shaft, syncrhos, and bearing kit. I also had a new south bend clutch put in right before and there was no problem till the tranny work. The transmission shop said i needed to bleed my clutch and the guys who installed the clutch seem to think that that is not right so i was wondering if it might be my slave cylinder or something?

If you guys have any suggestions it would
help. Thanks.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:55 PM

have someone try to turn the driveshaft by hand with the clutch depressed in 4th gear,engine off
lift the rear axle from the ground to check for disengagement.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:33 PM

ok i will what does it mean if it doesn't spin?
Old 09-15-2004, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
I believe it means that your clutch is not disengaging completely.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:22 PM

Originally posted by tenbrooks
have someone try to turn the driveshaft by hand with the clutch depressed in 4th gear,engine off
I am stumped by this?!?! By turning it with your hands, you would have to overcome the torque it takes to move your truck forward, right? If you are looking for a little slop, I can understand using your hands but don't know if that indicates a clutch problem. If you are in fact trying to twist the driveshaft a few revolutions, then you would be moving your truck and that would take a lot of work.

Help me understand this more.

Pat
Old 09-15-2004, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by tenbrooks
well I did this and there wasn't any play in the drive shaft. so if anybody else has any suggestions i am open to them.

And are there any conditions to look for to know if my slave cylinder is going out?
Old 09-16-2004, 05:30 PM

There are a couple of things that will cause the clutch to not release properly. One is the slave cylinder losing pressure--fairly easy to spot because most all slave failures are due to a leak--look under vehicle for fluid. Also check the inside of the truck up at the firewall for any brake fluid (master cylinder leaking). If no leaks are found, and fluid level is correct, start looking towards the clutch being installed improperly, flywheel not being resurfaced before installation of the new clutch, pilot bearing in back of crankshaft damaged and hanging up on the pilot of the input shaft. A good test for this is to start the engine in neutral, then slowly engage first gear with your foot on the clutch, if the engine rpm drops, or the vehicle moves forward, then most likely the pilot bearing is dragging on the input shaft. If all else fails, make sure castrol syntorq fluid was used in your transmission. Hope this helps.