24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Shifting Issue with NV5600

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shifting Issue with NV5600

100k roled over on my truck a little while ago so i figured probabbly a good time to change the Tranny fluid, i was also having some stick in the shifts but probably do to being so cold.

Replaced fluid with 6 bottles of Redline. Truck now has a real tough time shifting when cold. Its a struggle to get it into gear. Clutch catch point is in the same place. Cant find anything wrong except just tough to get into gear and will grind a little some times.

Whats wrong? ....Ideas
Does redline come in quarts or pints i never thought about it i threw them in the wood stove in the shop the moment i emptyed them into the top of the tranny.

Thanks
Rob
Old 03-26-2008, 06:14 PM

I just got 6 qts. of the redline mtl from summit. I'm pretty sure it only comes in qts. Are you sure you didn't get the wrong stuff and get the MT-90? I've heard of guys using that and experienceing the same thing as you.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:21 PM

What wright are you suppose to use?

I called dodge got the part # then looked up redline dealers and told them the number. However it was several days before i got to the store and they had restocked the items instead of keeping them behind the counter and so the guy just went and grabed them. It said if i remeber right Manual tanny fluid sycromesh but i am not sure.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:25 PM

Now that i think about it, it smelled like gear oil.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:43 PM

I just did a fluid swap in my NV5600 from factory to Redline MTL. First day I started using it, it was about 30° out. Shifts were better than before, not hard to shift at all.

Sounds like you might have got the heavier MT-90, which is for the NV4500's. If it is, you might want to get it out soon, its not really good for your synchro's.

I will say this about the Redline though. At first when I put it in, I actually got MORE 2nd to 3rd grind then before. A week after putting it in though, it smoothed out. Now I can't get it to grind in 3rd at all.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:37 PM

well its only been a week or two maybe 800miles.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:48 AM

I can more easily get Amsoil, or royal purple. Of the three what would you recommend and with the amsoil and royal purple what is the specific name of fluid i would need thanks ROb
Old 03-27-2008, 06:43 PM

If you wanna go with something else besides the Redline MTL, I'd go with either the Amsoil or the factory stuff. I have heard of the Amsoil breaking down overtime though for the guys that tow real heavy. I have the Royal Purple Syncromax in mine right now and I don't care for it at all. I've been told its actually slightly thinner than the other oils out there. My guess though is that the guy gave you the MT-90 instead of the MTL.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:01 PM

There are a lot of guys that are fighting their 5600's daily because of the fluid. A buddy of mine, CAN17, has tried the Pennzoil Synchromesh and Redline MTL with no success. Others seem to love one and hate another. Royal Purple Synchromax, Amsoil MTF, Pennzoil Synchromesh, Redline MTL, and the stock fluid are all people love and hate. It gets expensive trying all of these though.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:23 AM

I went and bought another batch of Redline MTL and checked every bottle to ensure it had MTL on it.

I will change it tommorow or Saterday and report back. Thanks for your help i hope this remedees the issue.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:16 AM

Hope it works out. Before I switched to the MTL I read around alot and got the same feeling that JSPulliam had - that there is no single "perfect" tranny fluid. Every single one had someone complaining about it. The reason I went with MTL is because it had the most positive compliments about its performance. It's stayin' in for me. The tranny shift far better than with the 126,000 miles old factory stuff.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:16 PM

Alright i changed it again. Still seemed to have the same issue with it not wanting to go into 2-4 easily however i never did get it up to temp probably. I am about to head out to moses lake for the sled pull, ill have a better feel for it when i get back.

WHen you all shift how long does it take for you to get into gear? especially when its cold? Im curious because maybe i am just expecting to much.

THanks ROb
Old 03-29-2008, 06:35 PM

I run 8 quarts of Amsoil and shifts are smooth temps are in the 20's to 80', trans hot or cold. It only takes the time to get it from one position to the other with no pushing at all. I don't care much for the long shift pattern, but I don't race so an extra second probably does not matter much.

Robbie.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:38 AM

Well i went to my first sled pull did not compete but i think it would be a lot of fun to if i could afford things breaking.

Once the tranny warmed up it shifted about as well as it did pry service but i really cany rember now. Warm probably 1- 1.5 sec per shift in 1,2,3,4 is this about normal.

Does anyone else have experiance with running that much extra fluid?

Thanks Rob
Old 03-30-2008, 05:43 PM

You shouldn't be waiting that long to go from gear to gear when it is warmed up.
When you changed the tranny oil this last time, did you check to make sure it was the right blend of Redline? The 5600 has clutch style synchro's and different yellow metals so the wrong lube will wear it out. There has been some discussion of using limited slip diff additive to soften the shifts a bit but the additive tended to break down in about a month or two so it was a temporary fix most of the time. I serviced my 5600 with Amsoil and really like it. With the clutch style synchro's, you will have to drive it a bit to let the new oil work into the tranny before you can really judge. If the Amsoil MTF is available, it would be your best bet unless you're SURE you have the right blend in the tranny now.

Quick Reply: Shifting Issue with NV5600