24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Shell/Jiffy Lube

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shell/Jiffy Lube

Since Shell owns Jiffy Lube Im wondering if anybody else knows this. Does Jiffy Lube use/have rotella T for diesels?
Old 03-05-2007, 06:46 PM
RAF

It has been some time now. I thought Pennzoil owned most of them?
Old 03-05-2007, 07:22 PM

I thought shell owned pennzoil now
Old 03-05-2007, 10:43 PM

When I was in WA state, most of the Jiffy Lubes had the Shell Rotilla for diesels. Give the one you want to use a phone call.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:10 PM

I'd recomend NOT going to a jiffy lube at all, regardless of what kind of oil they have :P. Chances are they aren't actually using the oil they are charging you for. Wasn't it jiffy lube that some news team investigated and it turned out they "claimed" to have done certain jobs but hidden cameras all over the vehicles proved that they did barely any of it...
Old 03-06-2007, 12:16 AM

Ive heard stories like that too but cant you watch in the truck while they are doing it? I do my own in the summer but in the winter I dont have the motivation to do it anymore. No garage and at 5 degrees and snow all over the ground Im not crawling around under the truck Ive also thought about taking my own oil and filter and saying here put this in Although most places that repair or maintain vehicles get all testy and mad if you show up with the parts or equipment because then they cant charge you 20 or 30% more than you pay at walmart
Old 03-06-2007, 03:35 PM
RAF

You need to look for the independent owned stores. You have a better chance of them doing a good job. The one near me was an independent for a long while. Pennzoil bought most of the stores in this tri state area. Soon after that the work quality went down hill.

Mainly I blame it on minimum wage. The independent would pay better than min. The company would only pay min.

Who do you think would push to sell more and do more (not better)to gain comission?

Trending Topics

Old 03-06-2007, 06:27 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're dead set on using the quicky lube places, bring your own oil and filter, then watch them like a hawk.

I'm still taking mine to the Dealership for oil changes.
No garage, not much driveway, don't trust Jiffy Lube.

phox
Old 03-06-2007, 07:30 PM
Banned

Ditto Phox,
Cummins is too nice and too expensive to take it to Jiffy Lube. FYI, I started doing my own changes or taking my cars elsewhere when I caught the idiot checking my tires and letting the air out of all of them so that every tire was set to 28 lbs, not what the manufacturer recommends. I had taken my wife's Suburban there the week earlier. Sure enough, 28 lbs all the way around.

regards,
AJG
Old 03-06-2007, 07:40 PM
Banned

i take my own oil and filter. i also write the milage and date on the filter for two reasons. so i know when it was done and the other is so i know they used the right one.

brett
Old 03-06-2007, 09:40 PM

Lost our brakes 750 miles down the Baja due to Jiffy Lube topping off the master cylinder with power steering fluid. I will never use those idiots again.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:05 PM

I have a friend that worked for Jiffy Lube, and he confirmed my fears about their practices. Not changing oil filters because they were out, but still charging you, using whatever oil and amount they had that day, and not changing tranny fluid at all were all the norm.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:06 PM

I also have an old friend who worked at a jiffy lube, same story. He also worked at a midas, they would tell him to bill the customer for the high end parts but buy and install the cheapest parts available, if they replaced it at all. I've had good experiences in the past with the local valvoline oil change, always older knowledgable employees, who when asked would use the oil off the shelf in bottles instead of pumping it from the bulk drums, just to alleviate any doubt.

If I ever need anything else done there is a local shop that's been privately owned for many years by the same elderly man, probably the best shop i've ever come across. But mostly I do my own work until I need equipment I don't have and can't afford :P.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:36 AM

Sound advice in this thread. Jiffy lube installed a non-turbo air filter in my brothers flowerstroke (did I mean Powerstroke?). They bought him a new motor but that's not the point. I have gone there when time was short and caught them leaving my intake duct disconnected and my oil dipstick laying across my radiator! Bottom line, those hacks ARE NOT certified mechanics and they have no business under your hood. If you are new to automotive maintenance and have found your way here, then you can get all the info you need to do it yourself and do it right!

Last edited by PChouinard; 03-07-2007 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Bigotry
Old 03-07-2007, 12:44 AM

Amen to that!

Quick Reply: Shell/Jiffy Lube