24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

same misfire as before

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
same misfire as before

ok - same issue as before (never had a chance to get to it yet). 2000 ram isb misfire when hot. i have read and read and read all info that i could on this subject and it looks like others have had the same problem as this. the truck only has about 90,000 miles on it though. a couple of months ago the vp44 and lift pump were replaced by cummins and now, another fuel problem (truck is starting to really irritate me). so, i am assuming that the injectors need replaced. here are my questions to those of you who know about injectors: (1) do i need to replace all of the injectors? or am i just looking for" the bad ones". (2) truck is all stock -should i stick with stock injectors? or are the bigger ones "free horsepower". (3) what are the best injectors to buy? brand/ size/ etc? and what ballpark price should i expect to pay?(4)exactly how hard are they to replace? any special skills or tools needed? or can anybody do it with "normal" tools . (5) will i have to replace any other seals or gaskets or etc when i would do this? or is everything i need (other than the cold beer) included with the injectors. i definately will appreciate all of the info given to me!! is there any possibility in any way that the new vp44 and lp could have made these injectors decide to fail? or is it just a coincidence?
Old 06-06-2005, 08:04 AM

I'd like to hear some anwers on this too. Mine is missing once in awhile when it's hot. My fuel pressure is good so I was thinking injectors also.

Frank569, I think the answer to which injector to run all depends on how you use the truck. If it is stock, you don't want to go too big. Contact the vendors on board here and they can help you with your choices, should it come to that.
Old 06-06-2005, 11:17 PM

ive done a little further research on the subject and from what i read, it could be a leak at one of the high pressure lines at the vp44 (i would think that i would see and smell leaking fuel after awhile though). another thing- my manual says to check for a bad injector by cracking open one high pressure fuel line at a time and see which one/ones do not change the idle. how exactly would i do that on an isb? do i just loosen the large nut on the drivers side of the engine on each fuel transfer tube? anybody??
Old 06-08-2005, 10:03 AM

yes, you simply loosen the 19mm nut at the head. But, i had the same problem with my second set of performance injectors and I had them in and out and rebuilt twice with the same miss when warm at idle. Other injectors that i put in during the rebuilding times never missed at idle, so i don`t have any leaks.

and it runs smooth as silk at idle now with stockers back in.

i can`t say for sure what your problem is but it sounds injector related, i know mine is.

as for injectors, all I can say is buy once and be done with it. Read up on everything you can on extrude honed injectors, edm injectors, big, small, high egt, towing.... its up to you. just read up and make the right choice the first time and buy the injectors that you want the first time. If i laid down the money a year and a half ago that I have spent to date on all of my injector deals, I could have a sweet set of mach 4s by now.

jason
Old 06-09-2005, 01:15 PM

jason, thanks for the info. i was reading a service manual on the subject and they were saying to acquire "special tools" and etc to do the job -i didnt know if it was really required or just b.s. i was considering a bosch brand and was wondering if i put only rv275 injectors in it- would that equate to 275 instant horsepower and ?? torque? or, would more be required to get the 275 hp ? would bosch 275 injectors be a good choice for mailnly commuting and occasionally hauling 6000-12000 lbs? are egts a concern?
Old 06-10-2005, 01:33 AM

Frank,
no special tools, just a 19mm stubby wrench. The injector puller can be one of your valve cover bolts. I am also in pgh, so if you need a hand, let me know.

I would say that 275s are a good injector. only expect about 30 hp or so from those. and no, it won`t be 275 hp. that is what bosch calls those because of the hp rating of the engine that cummins puts those in.

I would say your egts would be fine with 275s. I have run stock, stage 2 and stage 4 edm. The 2s were about the best all around for me.

let me know if you need help on the install.

Jason
Old 06-11-2005, 01:56 AM

does anyone know what would be a "good" price for a set of 6 bosch brand rv 275 injectors? one well known source that i spoke with says $480.00 (usd) for 6. another well known source says i can get the same exact injectors (says they are balanced as a set) for $335.00. thats a huge price difference for the same exact part- both sources said that they are bosch brand- not aftermarket. am i missing something? i could see maybe $25.00 difference- -but $145.00 difference? weird! also, i am told that the isb will constantly defuel itself when "burnin some coal" and that i need a $70.00 boost fooler- do i need that ? is there another way of tricking the computer?