24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Saga of my new "used" truck

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saga of my new "used" truck

Some of you may know me from the few posts I've made in the past couple of months. I bought a '99 2500 LWB 4X4 CTD 5-Sp from a dealer a few months ago. Great truck, but its got issues....
So, we need a clutch. I'll be replacing the clutch in two weeks (first day off in awhile...). I've ordered and received a heavy duty pilot bearing, which I'll have a machine shop machine a flywheel for it.
It idles kinda rough, and the fuel mileage is a bit low. Just around 14. Should be at least 16 this time of year. I know the tires I have on it are probably some of the cause - but I'm not convinced its the main cause.
I have a POWER MAX II chip and controller in it. I have no idea if this is a good chip or not. I know some chips are a little heavy on the fuel consumption, while others (like the Edge EZ) are pretty fuel sensitive.
So, I took the truck in to a shop today. Central Motive Power, Inc. I know they are in several locations in the US. Fortunately, theres one here in Denver. They seem VERY knowledgeable about the Dodge 24V and all its little quirks. For $142.50, they are putting it on the dyno and their new Bosch VP-44 analysis machine. They are going to give me the real scoop on the fuel system as well as the turbo. Hopefully, they'll tell me they've never seen a better truck!!

Well, the truck threw two codes yesterday as well: PO336 (Crankshaft Position Sensor) and P1690 (Auxillary Control Output). Does anyone have a clue about these, and what that might run me to fix?

thanks!!
Nitecap.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:33 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like a good idea taking it to the shop for checkout. If I knew of one around here, for that price, I'd go too.

My CPS was replaced a couple of weeks ago. Less then $40 from Cummins. A fellow DTR member done the change. He said it was not near as hard a job as he had been led to believe. He didn't even disconnect the starter, just laid it over a cross member. Just be sure to disconnect the batteries and that the starter is reseated after you finish.

My code list shows the 1690 to be "CKP sensor does not agree with ECM CKP sensor". This too is probably caused by the CPS.

Do a quick search for CPS or CKP and you'll find the instructions for changing.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Nitecap
Some of you may know me from the few posts I've made in the past couple of months. I bought a '99 2500 LWB 4X4 CTD 5-Sp from a dealer a few months ago. Great truck, but its got issues....
So, we need a clutch. I'll be replacing the clutch in two weeks (first day off in awhile...). I've ordered and received a heavy duty pilot bearing, which I'll have a machine shop machine a flywheel for it.
It idles kinda rough, and the fuel mileage is a bit low. Just around 14. Should be at least 16 this time of year. I know the tires I have on it are probably some of the cause - but I'm not convinced its the main cause.
I have a POWER MAX II chip and controller in it. I have no idea if this is a good chip or not. I know some chips are a little heavy on the fuel consumption, while others (like the Edge EZ) are pretty fuel sensitive.
So, I took the truck in to a shop today. Central Motive Power, Inc. I know they are in several locations in the US. Fortunately, theres one here in Denver. They seem VERY knowledgeable about the Dodge 24V and all its little quirks. For $142.50, they are putting it on the dyno and their new Bosch VP-44 analysis machine. They are going to give me the real scoop on the fuel system as well as the turbo. Hopefully, they'll tell me they've never seen a better truck!!

Well, the truck threw two codes yesterday as well: PO336 (Crankshaft Position Sensor) and P1690 (Auxillary Control Output). Does anyone have a clue about these, and what that might run me to fix?

thanks!!
Nitecap.
Look up a guy named "Sticks" at Central Motive-- he's good CTD people. He usually wears a beret and has long hair-- tall thin fella, and VERY smart.

Your rough idle is mostly likely the CKP sensor. A 1999 is probably due for one. The 1690 code is one you can mostly ignore.

14mpg isn't unrealistic if you do all short trips in town on winter fuel. CKP might bring it up.

The PowerMax won't add fuel unless your into the boost. So, stay out of the loud pedal (you *do* have a boost gauge, right???) and your MPG will not be affected.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:57 PM

Thanks guys. I'll look for the links and see if I can fix myself. The shop may do it for me (for, a "nominal" fee ). I may just let them...

HOHN - yes I have a boost guage on the Power Max. It shows EGT and boost. I haven't installed a FP guage yet, but will be doing that real soon. I may just go with the isolator and get it over with... I've read that people have put them in-cab without the isolator, and even one that mounted it outside on the hood. I suppose since I'll be towing a boat thats oversize, I shouldn't tempt fate - the highway patrol will surely catch up with me if I don't isolate the fuel from the guage in-cab...

Nitecap.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:14 PM

Update

So Central Motive Power, Inc. called yesterday. They went through the truck completely and gave me a two page list of all the crap wrong with it. Two items are being fixed by them ($575):
- CPS sensor replace
- Apparently the guy who owned the truck before me had spliced a wire into the power supply for the lift pump. The amperage was very low, and Central Motive said that it would eventually make the lift pump not do its job, thus toasting my VP-44. They are going to re-wire with a new harness and relay something or another.

Other things they found are all stuff I can do myself:
batteries are both low, fan belt cracked, fan clutch not working properly, radiator fins are restricted - need to be steam cleaned, radiator cap failed pressure test, brake fluid dirty - need to flush, front left rotor heat cracked, front and rear driver side shocks both leaking slightly, rear diff oil very dirty, and the most aggrivating of all: the new fuel filter I just put in 2 weeks ago is filthy, and there are "floaties" in the canister. They recommend dropping the fuel tank and cleaning completely. The strainer in the tank is probably really dirty and not doing its job.

So, I think it was worth me getting this company to go through the truck completely. They said the motor is in great shape, and so far, the fuel system is timed properly and working as it should.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:57 PM

Nitecap, it sounds like they gave you a very thorough report. I found their website, and see that they have a location in Albuquerque...I think I'll check them out when I go through there next month. Thanks for the report!