24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Rookie questions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rookie questions?

Hey guys, As I stated in another thread I just bought a 99 2500 4x4. I am curious how much of the maintenance I can do myself. I am fairly mechanically inclined. I can and have replaced several gas motors in many different types of vehicles. Chevy 350's being my most common. Some of my concerns are fuel system issues. Can I replace my own LP and VP44? Does the system have to be bled afterwards? And the same question for changing the fuel filter. The dealership want 70.00 for a fuel filter change. They said it takes a half an hour. How big is my fuel tank? Why does my mpg calculator on the headliner fluctuate from 14-22 mpg on the same roads I drive daily? What is the best oil to use? The dealership charges 45.00 for an oil change. Should I use them for that? My manual says not to use additive in the fuel. Should I not listen to that? If not why and what type of additive would be best for a guy with a semi tight budget?
I bought this truck for my daily driver and off road vehicle hauler. I'm not looking to make a hot rod out of it. I just want fuel economy and power to get my trailer queen to and from the trails. Anything I can do to improve fuel economy at 2.99 a gallon would be great.
One more thing what do all of these acronyms mean? You guys use lots of them and I am not familiar with them yet. And If I get a FASS system does that eliminate one of the pumps( LP or VP44)?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 11-16-2005, 06:26 AM

Well lets start off by saying Welcome....this is a great site with lots of info. As far as the fuel system goes yes you can change the lift pump and vp44.....the lift pump can be changed in 30 if you know what you are doing, as for the vp44 it's a little more labor intensive but it can be done. As far as the fuel tank goes I believe it will be a 34 gal tank, the reason your overhead computer is moving is because you vary the throttle due to road conditions and it basis it's information on that along with the road itself ...going up hill lots of throttle or coasting down hill. As for your oil change I have never had the dealer do mine, if easy to do and cost me $30 with 3 qts of chevron delo 400 and a fleetgaurd stratophore(sp) filter that I buy from cummins. I run delo but the oil you run is up to you.....Some people run syn. and others run dino it's all a matter of preference. As far as your fuel mileage goes if you run the truck below 2k it will achieve it's best fuel mileage. Look up top in the Tech facts section for the acronyms. And yes the fass does eliminate the lift pump. Hope this helps I sure more people will jump in and help out.

Corgrats on you purchase you won't regret it......and once again welcome to the site.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:14 PM

One more question. What is the best and easiest repair book to follow for my rig? I am a tightwad and hate paying for something I can do myself.

Steve
Old 11-16-2005, 06:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RED99CTD
I am a tightwad and hate paying for something I can do myself.

Steve
You have come to the right place! I have saved $$$$ here! Big time!
Old 11-16-2005, 07:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Welcome to the site Steve,
Your Dodge/Cummins has fuel milage and power capabilities far beyond a basic gasser but it isn't gas-n-go like a gasser either...it's a bit involved but not difficult to manage.
You need gauges to get info from your truck but more on that later..
Your 24 valver has a Lift Pump that takes fuel from the fuel tank and delivers it to your Injector Pump(VP44). This VP44 is the weak link and because it's so expensive, it deserves extra consideration. For years the guys here have been trying different things to get the VP44 to live and through basic R&D, they've discovered a few things that help most and are running up the miles.
Fuel lubes and cools the VP44 and we watch that with the Lift Pump fuel pressure. We generally like to see 13-15psi idle, 12-13psi cruising hwy speed and no less the 5-7 psi at wide open throttle(WOT). A pressure gauge installed in the cab, connected by pressure line to the outside fitting on the top of your fuel filter housing will get you lift pump fuel pressure to watch.
Diesel fuel has very little if any lubricating abilities so fuel treatments like Power Service, Howes, Lucas and Stanadyne add lubrication to the fuel. I use the treatment MFG's recommend on dosages.
There is fuel returned to the fuel tank from the fuel system and because some of it comes from a passage in the cylinder head of the motor, it's hot. This is fine in the winter because diesel fuel can gel in very cold temperatures BUT in the summer, it can get hot enough that it won't cool electrical components in the VP44. Most folks are keeping their fuel tank 1/2 full or better. We're currently looking for an end all fuel cooler that does not restrict flow or pressure.
Many folks have found that they had no lift pump pressure after they install a gauge or change the fuel filter so be ready for that.
Type "lift pump" in the search box for lots of info.
I bought a Haynes manual at my local parts store to get up on my combo quick then got the factory service manual later.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:35 PM

This is getting good. Keep the info coming fellas. I am already loving this truck to pieces. I have 310 miles on a half a tank. It costs around 80-90 bucks to fill it. My burban cost 60-70 to fill 30 gallons and gets 230 miles to the whole tank. So I am already way ahead of that pig with more power to boot. I love not having to mash the go pedal to climb sunset hill.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RED99CTD
This is getting good. Keep the info coming fellas. I am already loving this truck to pieces. I have 310 miles on a half a tank. It costs around 80-90 bucks to fill it. My burban cost 60-70 to fill 30 gallons and gets 230 miles to the whole tank. So I am already way ahead of that pig with more power to boot. I love not having to mash the go pedal to climb sunset hill.
Get that grinn off your face newbie! You don't have time to smile! You need to install a fuel pressure gauge tonight! Now drop and give me 20!

These beasts are pretty simple to maintain, but the power range is totally different from any gasser you have had. Welcome aboard Steve.

GREAT POST Clunk!
Old 11-16-2005, 10:42 PM

Well the perma grin is staying for a while. I get to test the rig out over the holiday weekend. I am towing and s_10 blazer and 30 gallon 10 horse gas powered air compressor down to my dad in California from here in Spokane, Wa.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:17 AM
Chapter President

Smile I Love Walmart

You should be able to get all of your lubs from Walmart. i get my Rotella-T 15W-40 and the Power Service fuel additive (Grey bottle) all from there and check out Genosgarage.com for the filter kits,FP guages he has the best prices.
Have fun with your new truck they are so much fun to drive.
scotte
Old 11-17-2005, 07:45 AM

FP gage

I enjoyed your post Clunk but WHERE DO WE GET THE FUEL PRESSURE GAGE?

Every newbe like me gets told to get a fuel pressure gage and get it on TODAY but I can't seem to get anyone to tell me where to order them from. The best price place would be great also. MANY THANKS,
Sonny
Old 11-17-2005, 09:53 AM

http://www.dieselperformanceparts.com/index.html

http://genosgarage.com/

Well there is a few links to start with...

I got mine through DPP and it only runs about $39 bucks for the guage! (DiPricol)
Old 11-17-2005, 11:12 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gauges

Originally Posted by Motorpool
I enjoyed your post Clunk but WHERE DO WE GET THE FUEL PRESSURE GAGE?

Every newbe like me gets told to get a fuel pressure gage and get it on TODAY but I can't seem to get anyone to tell me where to order them from. The best price place would be great also. MANY THANKS,
Sonny
I just got my delivery from www.dieselmanor.com This place is outright awesome when it comes to customer service. I'm pretty green in the diesel world myself, the sales rep gave me real life examples and I felt like I was in the right place. Check out their website or give them a call. They will talk to you and explain things in a manner that could be understood by anyone. The instructions they send with the guage kits are just plain crazy in detail, color photos, tips and all. Someone spent a great deal of time and effort putting them together.
Just thought I would share my experience, the process of ordering and getting all the right parts was as painless as can be and I got my stuff on Wednesday after ordering it Monday at noon!
Old 11-17-2005, 12:38 PM

Heres another place to check out http://www.smokindiesel.com/dodge/dodgeparts.html
Doug is a real nice guy and wil set you up with everything that you need and has good prices. If something isn't right he will get it fixed for ya. He recommends that you get a fuel isolator though and they are only problems. Just get a needle valve you that you are able to turn off if something happens. There are many different brands of gauges and there is also a test kit to get you by if you don't want to buy a fuel pressure gauge until later. I got the Isspro because they match up to the dash lights if you get bulb covers or green bulbs.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:08 PM

My setup is in my picture gallery, but it ain't purdy
Old 11-18-2005, 06:50 PM

Really to be honest get your check book out a p-pump it i have about the same mechincal experince as you i did with some help from friends

Quick Reply: Rookie questions?