24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Replacing your manual trans and just can't get it to bolt up?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Replacing your manual trans and just can't get it to bolt up?

Well...keep trying. But first, don't waste three hours with the trans in neutral thinking you're spinning the input shaft when you spin the output shaft. Also, don't work on a slanted driveway with the truck facing up hill - go downhill. Remove it uphill, removal is ALWAYS easier than installing. Also, don't waste your time getting the oil from Quad4x4 - just go get the Syntorq from your local parts store - it's the exact same and cheaper (no shipping).

And one last thing - just put a new clutch in if you're not already doing it (mine fell out in pieces w/ a cracked spring-plate). And spring for the Kevlar from South Bend - it's soooo nice and smooth!
Old 12-27-2007, 02:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is funny! My best experience was with a truck (not pickup truck, a 5 ton truck) tranny that my army buddy and I remove and re-installed without any lifting devices. That was fun, that thing probably weighed 300# and one of us tried to shove it in while the other tried to thread in a bolt, just one for God's sake to keep it from falling out on top of us. All we wanted to do is replace te clutch but we didn't have a spare input shaft and decided we can use the tranny's shaft to align the clutch. Its just wonderful how youth and energy can substitute for a lack of brains
-P
Old 12-27-2007, 08:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by darrenG
Well...keep trying. But first, don't waste three hours with the trans in neutral thinking you're spinning the input shaft when you spin the output shaft. Also, don't work on a slanted driveway with the truck facing up hill - go downhill. Remove it uphill, removal is ALWAYS easier than installing. Also, don't waste your time getting the oil from Quad4x4 - just go get the Syntorq from your local parts store - it's the exact same and cheaper (no shipping).

And one last thing - just put a new clutch in if you're not already doing it (mine fell out in pieces w/ a cracked spring-plate). And spring for the Kevlar from South Bend - it's soooo nice and smooth!
What parts stores carry Syntorq? I haven't seen it anywhere.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it was Kragen here, so Schucks or Checkers will have it.