24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Repair Manuals

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 06:42 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Repair Manuals

I'm thinking about buying a repair manual and need some ideas on what to buy.

I primairly want something for my 1999, but would like for it to also cover all ISB's. I would also like it to include ODB II code information with reccomended repair information.

Thanks,
Old 01-12-2006, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know exactly what you might be looking for, but for all ISB's you might would want to get a cummins repair manual. I bought a repair manual for ymtruck off Ebay. it is a Haynes, and is good when it comes to detailing out stuff. I think I got it for like 10.00 plus shipping which was cheaper than AutoZONE and others.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:11 AM
Chapter President

Thanks for the info. This is along the lines of what I'm looking for.

Does the Haynes book cover ODB II codes and repair hints?
Old 01-12-2006, 08:45 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
www.techauthority.com for the ONLY manual you should need.
It's the FACTORY service manual.

'99 Ram Service manual
Old 01-13-2006, 01:20 PM
Chapter President

I went ahead and picked up a Haynes manual today at AutoZone. It's not exactly what I was looking for, but it seems to be a pretty good manual.

When I get time, I think I'll see if I can find something more detailed on a CD.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:52 AM
Chapter President

I found a few cd's, but really can't afford them right now. Does anyone have a cd that details what ODBII codes are and the possible fix? Any chance you could zip it to a file and send it to me?

Thanks,
Old 01-25-2006, 07:26 AM

Sorry the Haynes was not what you were looking for, wish I could have responded to your post earlier, as I just looked in the manual to see if it covered OBD II codes, and noticed that it does not. It is pretty much for mechanical fixes, and is very good in that respect. it also has all the wiring diagrams also.

If you can get me the codes that yours is throwing, I can look up the possible fix for you. but i think we have the same manual, haha.

Find out what the code is, and then go and look up that part in the maual. It should tell you about replacing it, or fixing the problem.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:35 AM
Chapter President

Thanks for responding,
I don't have any codes now. I bought an Actron Code Scanner and plane to use it to read codes for other members, etc. The thing works great, but the code definations are sometimes mumbo-jumbo to us rookies. I'm looking for something that uses the code defination to narrow down the probable repair.....in plain English.

Originally Posted by HappyGA
Sorry the Haynes was not what you were looking for, wish I could have responded to your post earlier, as I just looked in the manual to see if it covered OBD II codes, and noticed that it does not. It is pretty much for mechanical fixes, and is very good in that respect. it also has all the wiring diagrams also.

If you can get me the codes that yours is throwing, I can look up the possible fix for you. but i think we have the same manual, haha.

Find out what the code is, and then go and look up that part in the maual. It should tell you about replacing it, or fixing the problem.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:49 PM
xmr

just go to google and key in the code and usually it will give you exactly what you are asking for.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:31 PM

XMR, can you give an example of a code you put into Google? I would be interested in seeing what it brings back, but don't have a correct code to put in.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Shovelhead
www.techauthority.com for the ONLY manual you should need.
It's the FACTORY service manual.

'99 Ram Service manual

You said it all Ed.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:04 PM

I'll second the Google suggestion. I've found that it works quite well. Normally just use the code, such as p1693 and the word Dodge to help narrow it down, and you should be able to find the correct definition pretty quickly.

For example, SWMBO had the Check Engine light come on on her 99 BMW and took it to AutoZone to have them read the code. They gave us the code and said it was something like a transmission solenoid (something along those lines) that should have produced symptoms inconsistent with the fact that the car was running just fine. I googled the code and found that on a Bimmer it actually meant that a secondary air injection pump that runs for 3 seconds or so when you first start the car had gone out. No sense in rushing to fix that, we decided.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:34 PM
xmr

The actual site that google sometines directs you to is http://www.obd-codes.com/ find the code on the site then click on it and it will tell you what to look at to correct the problem.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:01 PM

Here's a good source of codes: http://www.allpar.com/fix/computer-codes.html
Old 01-29-2006, 09:27 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by xmr
The actual site that google sometines directs you to is http://www.obd-codes.com/ find the code on the site then click on it and it will tell you what to look at to correct the problem.
Neat site...thanks for the link.

Only some of the codes were blue highlighted and gave the repair info. Do you have to sign up as a member to get all of the definations?