24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Removing Oil Filter for an Oil Change?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 08:46 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
This is what I've been using for every oil change since it was new.

I put a protective cover over the B+ alternator bolt, so coming in contact with it has never been a problem.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Shovelhead
This is what I've been using for every oil change since it was new.

I put a protective cover over the B+ alternator bolt, so coming in contact with it has never been a problem.
Likewise, I've wrapped an extension with eletrical tape for this very reason....you dont want a short.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
See ya'll are smarter then me, I did it once, lost the 110 amp and a few days later lost the regulator portion of the PCM. All my lessons I learn from pratice

Just offering fair warning, been there, done that
Old 02-28-2005, 10:32 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
I keep seeing references to putting a plastic bag over the filter, the question comes up at to why. No oil leaks on removal, the level is down about an inch or so in the cannister, you would have to dump it to leak any, I never have a drip. Three different engines and they all worked the same, the commercial engine and filter is even lower than the Dodge.
I work on about 30 of these trucks, and have been for years. On removing the oil filter, most of them come off without a mess, but about 25% of them like to barf out a couple ounces of oil. No rhyme or reason, can't relate it to oil temp, or how long it's sat. The plastic bag seems like a good idea, you just have to know which trucks to use it on.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:26 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
See ya'll are smarter then me, I did it once, lost the 110 amp and a few days later lost the regulator portion of the PCM. All my lessons I learn from pratice

Some of us are fortunate to be able to learn from the experiences of others.

Ed
Old 03-01-2005, 06:47 AM

I keep seeing references to putting a plastic bag over the filter, the question comes up at to why. No oil leaks on removal, the level is down about an inch or so in the cannister, you would have to dump it to leak any, I never have a drip. Three different engines and they all worked the same, the commercial engine and filter is even lower than the Dodge.
I do it so I can be lazy when I pull the filter up out of there; if it's in a bag I can tilt it any old way pulling it out rather than threading it through the obstacles.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:05 AM

I just got this filter wrench at AutoZone.

My local Sears didnt have it. Lifetime warranty , made in China
Got 3 gallons of Rotella T, now I just need the filter from Genos and I'll be all set for my first oil change.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:13 PM

OK, so I got this strap wrench today, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to use it. The strap is really stiff and I just can't tell how to use the sucker.

Old 03-16-2005, 10:26 PM

strap goes around the filter (at the top) and your ratchet (or extension) fits in the square hole at the top of the wrench.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:35 PM

Well ok
Filter wrench against + alt bolt = large shower of sparks,dead resistors and rectifier in alt and 130amp fuse in the under hood fuse box
Worst part was I KNEW BETTER
Old 03-17-2005, 12:52 AM
Banned

I can usually spin mine off by hand but if that doesn't work I bring out the really big screwdriver and hammer. Everything comes off with a big screwdriver and a hammer.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:23 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have a set of oil filter sockets for the ones that don't come off by hand. Have a pattern that looks like the ribs on the bottom of the filter with a 3/8'' drive.
Set of five covers almost every oil filter made and costs about $20. Not so necessary on a Cummins but sure come in handy on compact cars where there is very little room.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:46 AM

Infidel, thats what I use too. Bought mine at NAPA for about 10 bucks. On my 04 I use a ratchet and an extension, comes right off.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:24 PM

I use K&N oil filters they have 1 inch nut on the bottom of the filter. I use a socket with a extension on it.
Old 03-18-2005, 01:23 PM

All of us Humongous Channelock users have gotta be VERY alert where the jaw of that wrench is when gripping that filter! That alternator hot bolt is in JUST the right spot to hit the wrench.
I read on both TDR and DTR, of the many sad stories of suddenly dead alternators and PCM regulator problems after an oil change.
I guess I really lucked out the first couple times not realizing just how close that alternator hot bolt was to my channelocks!

The swivelling handle, metal band type filter wrench I originally bought (like SHOVELHEAD has a pic of) won't fit on my 97 as the metal hoop won't detach to go around the filter. I can't get the hoop under the filter because the steel automatic transmission cooler lines are in the way...

The gallon ZipLock bag over the filter is great as I have to slightly tip the full filter to get it to come out of its hidey-hole because of those aforementioned hard coolant lines in the way.

Bottom line?... the socket drive nylon strap wrench looks like the ONLY way to go if you can find one! I can guarantee, when I run across one I will surely snap it up!

Keith

Quick Reply: Removing Oil Filter for an Oil Change?