24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Remote start for Christmas. Do i want it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 12:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Remote start for Christmas. Do i want it?

My parents got me a remote starter for chrsitmas....Im wondering if i even need it or want it. All the reading of wash down and stuff, sounds like letting it idle to warm it up, could hurt it. I allways plug it in when it gets cold, and when i go out to start it, i let it warm up for a few minutes, then i crawl down the road before i hit the highway. Even on the highway, i still take it easy, until i see the temp gauge moving....So, basically, my question is, could i spend the $250 on something better? I dont mind walking out in the cold and listening to it turn over and fire....Im always looking/listening for a new sound or problem...What do you guys think?
Old 12-27-2009, 08:55 AM

Darn.... Momma is bugging me, saying go get it installed...How do i explain to her its not good for the "wash down effect" on a cummins?
Old 12-27-2009, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This past January we were in a real bad ice storm.When we lost power,I plugged my camper into my truck and left it idleing so we would at least have heat and a few lights.22 hrs later I shut it down.After we had pulled to a different part of the state,that hadnt been affected by the storm.I've never had a problem with wash down even after leaving it running that long.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I allways plug it in when it gets cold, and when i go out to start it, i let it warm up for a few minutes,
You pretty much answered your own question. Whats the difference if you start it and wait a few minutes or the auto start starts it and you wait a few minutes in a nice warm house? Its a no brainer to me.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:59 AM
Chapter President

If someone gave me one, I would run to have it installed.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:13 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I have never been a fan of those things. When it's -25 out, I figure you have one chance to get that engine successfully running, and I'd like to be there when it happens.

Additionally, I have never been impressed with the lack of quality I usually see in the installation of these products. Have seen too many poor splice jobs cause problems down the road.

Just my opinion.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:44 PM

Good answer Torqueman.... These trucks have enough ghostly problems, no reason to make more!
Old 01-02-2010, 12:51 AM

Love mine
Old 01-02-2010, 07:55 AM
Chapter President

Washdown???? You got bathtub injectors?? Hmmm, drive by a truck stop on a cold wintery western new york night and see how many trucks are out there idling so the driver does not end up a frozen block of ice by morning. These trucks run 100k a year, go nearly a million miles or more? Washdown.....I say hogwash. Let her idle in the morning, I do and no problems. Leave her plugged in from the time I pull back up to the door til the next morning. Start her up, let her idle 10, 15-20 minutes. That short amount of time will not be a problem, idling for 22 hours straight as stated above, that's extreme. But I've seen blizzard's up home in WNY keep trucks locked in at the TA for days, you know them truckers are not all sitting in the TA watching the tube and sleeping, their out in their warm trucks, idling. If your concerned do oil samples. Take off slowly up the road cause the engine is warm but the tranny oil, differential oil are not.