24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Reman Injector Pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reman Injector Pump

I have the code p 0216 on my truck, and want to go ahead and find an injector pump for it for when it finally dies. Where is the best place to get one. My truck is my daily driver, so if it goes down, I am stranded.

What degree of difficulty if there in installing the injector pump?

I have worked on gas engines since I was sixteen and can do everything on them, but never worked on a diesel. Ihave decided if I am going to drive it, then I am going to work on it. That will save a pile on labor charges form the DODGE DEALERS
Old 01-26-2005, 02:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
You best bet, for a new one, is CumminsStuff.com. I got mine for about half price there. This was not a reman, it was new. Used, heck you can find them on Ebay. I have heard on here of some shops that do remans that the poster has been pleased with, but I do not know any names off hand.
The pump changing job is not too bad. The hardset part is getting the gear off on the front, because you must have a special puller, or the resources to rig your own. I have to uses pieces of a puller and other bolts, and I think they were metric. It's been 9 months though. Maybe someone else can confirm what what's needed for the puller.
The lines can be a pain to reseat, but don't overtighten them because you'll crack the delivery tube in the head, then big leaks.

Chris
Old 01-26-2005, 05:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Stamey
You best bet, for a new one, is CumminsStuff.com. I got mine for about half price there. This was not a reman, it was new. Used, heck you can find them on Ebay. I have heard on here of some shops that do remans that the poster has been pleased with, but I do not know any names off hand.
The pump changing job is not too bad. The hardset part is getting the gear off on the front, because you must have a special puller, or the resources to rig your own. I have to uses pieces of a puller and other bolts, and I think they were metric. It's been 9 months though. Maybe someone else can confirm what what's needed for the puller.
The lines can be a pain to reseat, but don't overtighten them because you'll crack the delivery tube in the head, then big leaks.

Chris
A steering wheel puller works just fine. On the lines, I have had the best luck by seating and tightening the pump end first. Snug, wiggle, snug wiggle, tighten.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
HID, are the gear threads metric? I remember having to run a die down the 2 bolts I dug up to put in the gear, but I cannot remember if I used the die to convert them from metric to American or visa-versa.
I have a generic puller set I used, and had to rig the bolts in the frame of the puller a little, mostly because of clearance since I did not want to pull the shroud.
I've done this twice, but things are fuzzy since it was so long ago.

Chris