24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Relocating VP44 Electronics?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 06:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Relocating VP44 Electronics?

Well, the time has come to go WVO. For 2500 including cost of tank, a Frybrid kit is looking mighty good lately. My biggest issue justifying it to myself is the heat that will be passed onto the electronics, which are already in a spot too warm to begin with.

At my current average mileage + current cost of fuel I’m on track to spend about 6k in fuel this year, and this truck doesn’t even get used for work! Trading the truck for a gasser is out the window, even if a diesel isn’t practical all the time I just like this truck too much and the few times it is practical it's worth it. Since I’m your typical self centered American, that’s a good enough reason for me to keep it right now.

Back on track…

Awhile back it had been rumored that a company had been working on a kit to relocate the electronics. Has anyone done this yet? Does anyone know who it was? Anyone have a clue how hard it would be? Is it a matter of finding somewhere to put the electronics, and extending some wiring? I’ve never had a VP44 apart, so I’m not sure if that board is attached to things underneath, or if it’s just there because that’s where they decided to put it.

Even if I can’t relocate the VP44 electronics, I’ll probably do the WVO kit anyways. If I go through a VP44 once every year I’d still be further ahead in comparison to how much money I’d be spending on diesel fuel alone. I’d have to imagine that if they dumped within the first year, it’d be covered under warranty too
Old 03-04-2008, 08:03 AM

xtoy, ive wondered about the same thing as well. im also tryin to talk my dad into getting into the wvo thing as well. we have numerous diesels in our business and farm, and it would be, i think, very economical to go to that type of set up. we have plenty of facility space at home in texas, and dad's just about ready to retire, so hell have plenty of time to do the gathering and such. i spend about $4000-$4800 a year in fuel, now that im not deployin anymore. isnt it ridiculous!!!
Old 03-05-2008, 12:47 AM

How about a cold air kit to direct some air over the vp to offset the heat from the fuel?
As I understand it there is a fairly large portion of the computer inside the VP
so maybe a heatsink for the case near that area would help some?
Dunno,I'm no engineer.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been thinking about adding a heatsink to the VP44 and blowing cooler air (not heated, underhood air) over it using a small fan and duct. It would be easy enough to both try and test. Look at the heatsink used on a computer CPU and you'll get the idea.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I saw one rig that had a "ram air" type with a flexable dryer tube going from the front grill to the VP. I'm liking the heat sink with a blower idea Gator.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:28 AM

You could always use a "bilge" blower from a marine supply. Nascar uses them to help cool their brakes and tire rims to help prevent blow outs. Get the supply air from the grill area and use a piece of flex hose