24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Relocating IAT. Need help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 12:51 AM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
Relocating IAT. Need help.

Every since I installed my exhaust brake I have been looking for a reason for lower boost levels and lower MPG. After doing two boost checks, changing to larger banjo's and fuel lines, changing out the LP for a new one, I have come to the conclusion that I must have a bum IAT. I had cleaned it first with a sprits of carb cleaner. Worked, or looked great. Then I ran for a while longer and cleaned it again. After the second cleaning I felt like something wasnt right. So before I go and buy a new IAT sensor I want to relocate it so I am assured that I wont have to deal with this again. Does anyone know where to find relocating wires or what do I put in the old hole? Where is the new spot for it? And where is a good place to buy a new IAT? Thanks for any info.
Old 06-20-2004, 06:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I remember correctly from past posts, the IAT is the only part that's less expensive at a 5 star dealer, than from a Cummins shop. I'm looking to relocate mine as well, cleaning it is an every two week ritual for me. I was thinking of buying a new one, and just leaving the old one in the OEM location, and seeing if an autoparts store would have an extension wire with the waterproof connectors. But, where to place it? In the airbox? Or, intake plenum?
Old 06-20-2004, 06:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Someone makes a kit to relocate the IAT sensor. I hope they speak up. I believe it is moved to the air horn.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:01 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
The IAT is typically moved to the clean side of the air filter box. You can find weatherpack connectors at good auto parts stores like NAPA or CarQuest. You'll probably have to ask for them, and they might need to be ordered, but they can get them. Then you can make your own extension cord.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:25 AM

Thanks for the feed back but I know there is places that have the wire extensions (I have read it, here) and there is guys that have done this. I was hoping that someone who has would chime in to give the scoop on what to do.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:34 AM
Banned

What would be the benefit of moving the IAT sensor?
Old 06-22-2004, 07:53 AM

The idea is to get it into cooler air. This will allow timing and fuel parameters to be better for power.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by BigBlue
What would be the benefit of moving the IAT sensor?
CLEANING IT.....what a pain. Having an e-brake causes them to gunk up faster than normal.

Ive been thinking about moving mine as well. Although its not listed on their website, Practical Solutions Diesel makes the extensions (http://www.psdieselproducts.com/index.html). But I see no reason why you couldnt do it yourself. Just get some of the connectors and some wire and you're good to go. Supposed to give a bit better perfromance after the IAT is moved due to temperature differences.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:34 PM
Banned

Sounds like a cheap mod for more power.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:55 PM

I wasnt really looking for any power mods (not rejecting any though either) but yes cleaning is my problem and I believe the IAT sensor is not performing correctly any more which in turn is lowering power and milage.
Old 06-22-2004, 06:12 PM
Administrator

For whatever reason, the exhaust brakes cause the intake to gunk up which gets the IAT also. Need to get it out of the gunk flow. I was looking at tapping the intake horn next to my boost gauge tap.
Old 06-22-2004, 06:45 PM

Originally posted by Dieseldude4x4
For whatever reason, the exhaust brakes cause the intake to gunk up which gets the IAT also. Need to get it out of the gunk flow. I was looking at tapping the intake horn next to my boost gauge tap.
The air filter box isnt a good idea??
Old 06-22-2004, 09:30 PM

correct me if my thought is wrong,

does the IAT control the intake heaters? if so, wouldn't driving in cold weather make the intake heaters stay on permanently if the IAT were mounted in the air box?

just a thought i had...not sure if the intake heaters could be damaged or not from running continuously.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:49 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by pgilles
correct me if my thought is wrong,

does the IAT control the intake heaters? if so, wouldn't driving in cold weather make the intake heaters stay on permanently if the IAT were mounted in the air box?

just a thought i had...not sure if the intake heaters could be damaged or not from running continuously.
IAT is one of a few conditions that need to be met for the intake heaters to stay on.

Vehicle speed is another, they'll shut off after a certain speed.

I think coolant temp is also factored in.

phox
Old 06-23-2004, 08:41 AM

I would try to find a location that is on the heated side of the manifold so in the winter it will see the proper temps. (cycling the heat) other than that it would stay on (idling and not moving). Which in the long run might damage the heat grid it's self...

Quick Reply: Relocating IAT. Need help.