24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Recent trip. ? about truck performance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recent trip. ? about truck performance.

I recently towed my 5th wheel from Sarasota, FL to Ocala and back. I would like some input on my gauge readings and if everything as it should be. I tow in 3rd with OD locked out because my truck just seems to start hunting at the slightest incline or the temps start to climb slightly. North of Tampa on I-75, heading south, I came upon some long grades, not necessarily steep, but long and one after the other for about 4 miles. <br><br>My trans temp gauge stayed just a hair below 150 never changed the whole trip. They pyro ran about 6 until the grades then climbed to 8. The boost went up to 20 on the grades. I was traveling 55mph, until the grades then added peddle pressure when it started dropping to about 50mph, and the boost rose a little more. The water temp gauge (stock) stayed at just a hair above 190 the whole trip until the grades, then started to climb to near 195. I'm guessing my 5'r weighs about 12,000lbs.<br><br>Do the readings seem about right for the situation? See truck in sig.
Old 03-21-2003, 06:55 AM
Chapter President

Re:Recent trip. ? about truck performance.

Your ok on temps....I pull heavy trailers and with OD on I dont disengauge OD unless I get into a Engine Lug or high temps....these are what I watch for...EGT 1300*...Tranny temp 195*...Boost...you may see higher tranny temps driving in town (stop and go) then on the highway<br><br>I didnt think FL had any hills : other then the freeway overpasses ;D
Old 03-21-2003, 07:34 AM

Ladyram, your readings look proper. Pappyman's EGT of 1300 would be pre-turbo, your readings appear to be post turbo. If you are post-turbo on your pyro, then you are running with about 150 - 200 degrees to spare. I personally don't like anything over 850 (post-turbo), and if I ever get over that will back down. That was with my '99 3500 5sp; I haven't pulled my 5er yet with the '03 (haven't gotten the guages in yet). if your auto trans like to shift in and out of OD a lot, you are correct to lock it out for the hills. Hope this helps.
Old 03-21-2003, 08:23 AM

Thanks for the replys. <br><br>I'm pre-turbo with my pyro. Looks like everything is as it should be. <br><br>Hills in FL. Well it's all relative, you see. Any road in FL that's not flat is a hill. 8)
Old 03-21-2003, 08:33 AM
DPG

ladyram:<br><br>I don't think that your tranny should be hunting with only slight rises. I tow a 31' fiver, total weight of trailer about 11,000 loaded. You can see my sig. before the EZ, my tranny never shifted down unless encountering a significant hill. Just something to think about. Could be my DTT mods help there, but my buddies 2001 with a stock tranny and larger trailer than mine always tows in OD as well. He has the 4:10 gears, too.<br><br>DeWain
Old 03-21-2003, 08:43 AM

Ladyram, since you are pre-turbo, your EGT's are optimum - no problem. My aerobic septic guy is running a 98.5 with the auto trans, and his trans began doing the same thing as yours at about 15K miles. He treated his with Duralube, and hasn't had a problem yet. He tows a 10000 lb. backhoe on a 7000 lb. trailer (he has a Ram 2500), with about 165000 miles on it, and has had no more problems. You might want to look into that Duralube treatment for your trans. Its a lot less expensive than mods. If it doesn't help, then look at the mods.
Old 03-21-2003, 09:23 AM

GrandpasRam,<br><br>Well the Duralube may be something to think about. Although I'm not sure what that is. My dilema right now is that I'm still under warranty and have my work done at the local dealer. Only place around here that does diesel work. They will not even consider talking to me about this because they quote the owner's manual, &quot;Do not tow in overdrive&quot;.<br><br><br>
Old 03-21-2003, 09:37 AM

Ladyram, Duralube is an additive that you can get at NAPA, Auto Zone, O'Reilly's, etc. I'm not sure how much to add to the transmission fluid, but the container would probably state the proper amount. I would ask them if there are any issues with using it related to the warranty, but mods will void your warranty anyway. I had the same problem in my old gasser auto trans - had to tow 4000 lb. trailer with overdrive dis-engaged, but it isn't worth comparing the gasser to the diesel anyway. I didn't find out about the Duralube until after my oldest son bought my gasser from me, and he doesn't pull loads anyway. Hope you find the right answer soon. I know the manual states not to tow in overdrive, and I usually go by what the manual says until at least the warranty is expired. This towing with an automatic is one primary reason I went back to a standard when I got the diesel back in '99.
Old 03-21-2003, 05:29 PM

Not sure about the OD, i have a DTT trans and have no problems. Trans temp @ 150 is fine, mine usually only gets above that with stop &amp; go, sometimes all hit 180. As long as you haven't modified stock hy 35 turbo your boost will always peak @ 19.5<br>Tim
Old 03-22-2003, 12:38 PM
Banned

My stock HY35 will peak boost and hold it at 20-22 psi without throwing a code. With the Comp unplugged and wastegate enabled. With Comp plugged in and wastegate clamped, 35psi. ;D Your temps sound right. I don't tow but that's about what my temps sit at running 70mph in OD. Running 55 in OD lockout unloaded, I run about 550. These are pre turbo.
Old 03-22-2003, 12:53 PM

[quote author=BigBlue link=board=4;threadid=12531;start=0#119176 date=1048358302]<br> With Comp plugged in and wastegate clamped, 35psi. ;D[/quote]<br><br>that's not a good thing :<br><br>my truck stock holds OD up the hills to...vary rarely would it shift out of OD. ladyram, you're temps seem to be ok..especially good that the trans is only up to 150*.