24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Rear Moaning

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 09:48 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Rear Moaning

You can see my other threads regarding the broken axle and the spider gear explosion, but since the broken axle, when I had to remove the carrier and disassemble the P-lok to get the axle out, I have been noticing a moan/howl that I am not sure where it's coming from. This has not changed since I did the new guts for the p-lok last week.
I did not touch the pinion at all, except to make sure it was clean of any metal that was being clung around in there. The carrier had no shims on either side, and is very tight going in, even without shims.
The carrier bearings were a little "cloudy" on the roller surface (instead of the shiny you would see on a new bearing), but they rolled smooth so I reused them.
This starts at 40 MPH, when I am giving it fuel. It is silent when coasting. I thought it might be coming from the intake but I have tried it in OD and third, so the engine RPM is significantly different, and the moan does not change. This is a 2001.5 D70, 3.54, LS.

Anyone have any idea what this might be, if it is hurting anything, and what I should do/check?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 11-10-2006, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get it to a shop and have them go over it for you. Unfortunately there is only so much we can do on our own. LEt them give it a once over and make a suggestion/evaluation for you. It may be something they can fix in an afternoon for you - before you end up needing a whole new rear . . . MHO
Old 11-10-2006, 09:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stop eating the HOT wings ,

OK, sorry, probably the pinion bearings, I would bet some "crud" got up in them.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:53 PM

Ya if i were the guess i would say that it is the pattern from your pinion to ring gear. Your carrier might need to be shimed. And yes the carrier is hard to get in because your supose to put a case spreader on but not everyone has one. When i put mine in i had to use a dead blow hammer and a pry bar. It is nice to have two people for the job. Just my 2c.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Moan on pull generally indicates the pinion not deep enough, could be from the pinion bearings or the carrier bearings. the dodges like to eat the carrieer bearing opposite the pinion, causing more clearance than needed. Never pull one apart without doing a grease pattern test on the contact.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:43 AM

My truck just developed an odd moan at highway speeds. Only under load. Also sounds like it comes from the intake... Haven't had a chance to locate the problem yet. Could I also be looking at a rear rebuild, or will a fluid change help any.
Can I run in front wheel drive only on this truck. Meaning, can I remove the rear d-shaft to isulate the problem, or is the rear shaft a slip yoke.

Thanks
Old 11-11-2006, 01:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It could be the rear pinion bearing or, your u-joint, totally unrelated to your recent problem.

I'd bet on the pinion bearing.........sorry!

Rick
Old 11-12-2006, 12:42 PM
Banned

It could be that something was not set up properly in your rear end when it was repaired. I would rule out the hanger bearing first(check it over carefully for separation/ripped/torn/lose rubber), then to u-joint(to check for looseness or sloppiness in joint or cap).

If both check over as good, then drain oil in rear diff, and do a pattern check. If it seems good, I would suspect a bad bearing(like the one you mentioned you put back in) that is causing noise. If it is out, bad pinion bearing. Go buy some proper pattern check paint, it is crucial when doing such repairs.