24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Rear End Oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear End Oil

Well, I now have a new problem. I changed the Rear end Oil a couple of weeks ago and all was well use synthetic with the additive. I drove the truck this morning about 100 miles and notice that it seems to be leaking oil from the rear end. I use the gray permatex sealant around the cover but it seems to be leak from the top and running down the cover. My question is I know I am going to have to pull the cover again can i reuse the same oil if it is drained into a clean pan or will I need to put new in. Also should I use synthetic or is regular 85w-140 with the additive ok? Seems to have stopped leaking after cooling down so that leeds to another question why is it only leaking while warm?
Old 04-16-2004, 07:33 AM

Im at work so I cant look at mine, but is it possible the oil is coming out of the vent tube?
Dont know if I would try to re-use oil after draining, would be to easy to get a piece of dirt or something in it. Seems cheaper to use new oil and not worry than to save 50$ and wonder, thats just me though. Good luck

DuaneW.
Old 04-16-2004, 07:44 AM

Rear end oil

Brad,
Yes, there is a possibility that the oil is coming from the vent, so look closley at your diff cover and the vent at the top of the housing. It could be that you didn't clean the cover and housing surfaces well enough, when I do mine, I scrape both surfaces with a razor blade and then use a small wire brush, then I go over both surfaces with some acetone, or maybe you didn't get enough RTV around the cover. The bead of RTV needs to go around the cover and completely around the holes in the cover. Also, don't re-use the oil, just put in new, yea, it's costly, but not as costly as a new differential ! Just my .10 cents. Good luck
Chip
Old 04-16-2004, 09:34 AM

If you find you have to pull the cover off....consider giving the 'red' RTV from DC to seal it back up a try. Expensive, like $16 tube, but its super tacky and seals up really nice. Haven't had a leak yet. Since first trying it last year, I now use it for just about everything need RTV
Old 04-17-2004, 09:44 AM
Lest we forget

Brad Gray
When you take cover off, clean up good, both surface's. take clean cover and put contact surface down on a good flat cement floor. Put both hands on out side of cover and swirl around while pushing down on cover. Pick up cover and look at contact side, this will show you the high spots on your cover, and they will be their. I then file off the high spots for better contact on the pumpkin. This is what I do everytime I change rear end oil. I been useing valvoline Durablend 80-90 gear oil synthetic blend $5.00 a qt. Takes about 3 qts. This works for me.

Waam Holland, Mich.