24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Read this Article

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Read this Article

http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/post-406859.html

Has a good point.. I was going to relocate the pump but may not now. This problem of failing LP's could really be jusst this. Pushing that distance may be a problem to. So' I think the stock location could be fine, just nee to upgrade the fittings to open them up. Also It wont always pull(suck) once it has a syphon it will flow just fine. But I am going to go bigger fuel line from the tank to the LP. I guess I will use th -8An because they have fittings that will mount to 3/8 like whats on the the pump. My thinking is -8an is larger than the stock 3/8 but slightly less than 1/2--so I should get less restrictive flow on the inlet side of the pump. I will also change the banjos on all lines from the pump to the filter and to the VP44. Open them up to standard barb fittings or whatever.

What do you all think.

stix
Old 07-23-2007, 09:47 PM

Makes sense, I upgraded banjo bolts from geno's and the fuel pressure never drops at WOT. My pressure is flickering right now normal to 5 psi. I bought a holley but haven't installed it yet.

where is an exploded diagram of the lift pump? I don't unstand the check ball location. I've taken old pumps apart but never seen a check ball in the lift pump.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:53 PM

basically a ball on a spring. goes up and down controlliing how big a opening is for flow. The more it springs around in there the faster it will wear out. I am going to replace the line from the tank and install a see through filter somewhere on the frame so I can catch anything from injuring the pump. What sucks is my VP is dying and I will have to replace it as well sometime. So I fiqure I will fix everything else before that. However I dont have a cracked block but it is a 53. I think I got one of the luck ones that were good.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:00 PM

The truck currently has 173xxx with a stock LP and Vp---but the lines have poorly upgraded to 1/2 but they did a terrible job thats why Im going to redue it---But I hve to wonder if the 1/2 line from the tank to the LP help the life of both pumps.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by stix
The truck currently has 173xxx with a stock LP and Vp---but the lines have poorly upgraded to 1/2 but they did a terrible job thats why Im going to redue it---But I hve to wonder if the 1/2 line from the tank to the LP help the life of both pumps.
Could have been one of the reasons, or you were a lucky one of the bunch My truck made it to 275,XXX KM when the VP and LP decided to take a dump, and that is with stock fuel lines. But anywho, interesting read, might have to rig something up.