24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

RATTLIN stopped rattlin today!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 09:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
DieselGeek,
It isn't a huge deal. I don't pull the bed. I have heard that can be an easy way to do it though. The way I hear it,, you loosen the bed nbolts on the right side, and remove the bed bolts on the left. Lift the bed to have easy access to the tank, and prop bed up while working on tank.

What I have always done was get on the creeper and use a floor jack with a board on it. Loosen the filler neck and return hoses, then remove them if possible. Drop the tank a little after removing the straps while supporting with the floor jack. Remove and disconnect the wiring and quick disconnect hoses fedding the engine, and remove the filler neck and return hoses if you were unable to get them disconnected before.
My return line quick connect from the engine was "welded" on so I cut the plastic line and replaced it with standard rubber fuel hose and clamps.
Install is pretty much backwards of that, except for balancing the fuel tank. This isn't too bad though, if you have little fuel in there.
When you are pulling the sending unit it is handy to have some huge Channel lock pliers or the special wrench for loosening the nut holding the sending tower in there.

Chris
Old 04-22-2004, 05:47 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a simple fix for this problem.
Go the the nearest dealer, tell them all about the problem, jack up the diesel fuel cap, drive the truck out from under it, and drive a brand new 04.5 under it, install the diesel fuel cap, and drive away happy.

Simple logic, see that wasn't hard at all.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:31 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Uhmm,,,,,,,,,,,

Originally posted by Dieseldude4x4
Go the the nearest dealer, tell them all about the problem, jack up the diesel fuel cap, drive the truck out from under it, and drive a brand new 04.5 under it, install the diesel fuel cap, and drive away happy.

Hey Joel,
Are you going to use this same method to fix the "Knock-knock" in your truck?
Old 04-22-2004, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Stamey for saving me the search!! I really appreciate it. We're going to do it one night next week... sounds easy enough after having done a couple 5th gear nuts...

And yeah, I DO want to go check out the new trucks SOOO badly. This one's paid for, but it just jeeps running so good. I'm going to wait until it strands me somewhere, then maybe it will be time to go check out a new, silver, crewcab shortbox 4x4. I saw FloorIt's truck a few months ago and swore that I will have one someday in the next year or two... dodge made them almost TOO reliable in my case...
Old 04-22-2004, 09:36 AM
Administrator

Re: Uhmm,,,,,,,,,,,

Originally posted by RATTLINRAM
Hey Joel,
Are you going to use this same method to fix the "Knock-knock" in your truck?
Trust me, I considered it very heavily.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Re: Uhmm,,,,,,,,,,,

Trust me, I considered it very heavily.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:58 PM
Administrator

psssssst, doesn't Dodge still use the same sender design?

If so, that wouldn't be a fix, but more of a temporary band-aid.

phox
Old 04-22-2004, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just replaced my Fuel Tank Module,, At first the truck would run out at 1/4 then at a little more and finally at the 1/2 tank mark. Replaced the part and have no troubles anymore. I can suck all the fuel out of the tank if I have to (I know it's bad but there isn't always a fuel tank in the middle of the ranch) I’ve put 34 gallons in before and had no trouble with the truck running out.