24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Questions about my PCM!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Questions about my PCM!!

I am in need of some answers. I have a 1998 2500 with a 24 valve. I bought this truck off a guy about a month ago. The truck has 125k and the engine runs great but my problem started when my transmission started to give me problems. When driving between 45-50 mph the transmission would shift into overdrive then back to 3rd. It would continue this until you're speed reached under 45 mph or the rpm's where under 1500 or if your speed was over 60 mph and the rpm's were above 2000. After that the truck and tranny drove fine. I was talking to a few tranny guys that I have know for awhile and they said that 98 dodges are know for this problem and most of the time the PCM is going bad or is bad. So I changed the PCM out with a new unit from dodge. Then I had the dealer burn the VIN and proper milege into the PCM. The truck had never ran right since I changed the PCM out. Here is what my problem is now. The transmission when put into drive stays in drive. What I mean is that from a dead stop the transmission never downshift to a lower gear it just stays in 3 rd all the time. You can manually downshift and the truck drives fine. Also I have no overdrive what so ever. So I dropped the tranny and rebuilt the entire unit including every solenoid, every clutch pack, an entire rebuild from front to back. I installed the tranny back into the truck with all new fluids, to find out the I still have the same problem. I just dont understand that the transmission worked fine until I changed the PCM out now I am having problems. I think either the dealer burned the wrong flash into the PCM or the PCM is faulty. Common sense says that if it was working bdfore and then I changed the PCM out and now it is not working, well . Also if anyone knows exactly what all the PCM controls I would appreciate if you could shoot me an email. If anyone had any ideas please let me know. Thanks guys
Old 07-22-2006, 07:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Q- on auto's

Sorry don't know too much about the auto's but . TDR had an article some time ago on auto's hunting. PLEASE someone correct me here. But the voltage at the PCM is tooo high ( was that the orange wire as well??, on PIN ???? _____ . If you put in a resistor and dropped the voltage below 5 Volts it was fine. Maybe hunt in TDR's site and or ask in 911. If I can help more I shall. Take care hope this helps...
Old 07-22-2006, 09:11 PM

Thanks Neveragain I will try and find TDR. I am not sure where he is located but I will try and find him. If you have any idea on how I can reach him please let me know. Thanks again

Old 07-22-2006, 09:23 PM

Sounds like the tranny is in limp mode.

When the trans computer sees a problem with its sensors or actuators,it puts the tranny into limp mode.which keeps the trans in second gear.You need to see if the trans controls are seeing any trans codes,sounds like that was your original problem.
Old 07-22-2006, 09:32 PM

Thanks huff npuff for the info. I guess I need to put an scanner on my truck and see what codes might be hiding. I didn't know that the PCM would put it into a stationary mode if it sinced anything was wrong in the system. Do you have any idea if what codes would cause the PCM to go into limp mode? If you have any other great information feel free to post it here I need all I can get. Thanks again
Old 07-22-2006, 09:37 PM

The trans has it own controller

But it talks to the engine controller.Turn the ignition key on and off three times leave it on the third time it will give you the codes on the odometer.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:05 AM

Here's the deal. I had the truck put on the scanner and this is what it said. I have 4 codes all together.

I understand what two of them are but I am not sure what 1682 and 1693 are? It doesn't show them along with all the other codes. Maybe one of you guys has a clue. If anyone has any info on any of these codes I would appreciate any advice. Thanks again huff npuff!
Old 07-23-2006, 10:35 AM

This is what I found out.

1682-Metering oil pump malfunction

1693-Turbo charge control circuit malfunction

1765-Timing solenoid circuit malfunction

0216-injection timing control circuit malfunction

Could someone explain what the codes mean in detail please. Thanks again guys.

Old 07-23-2006, 11:18 AM
Banned

Well first, the 1765 and 0216 are saying that your injection pump is shot. The 1693 code is bogus and don't listen to it. 1682 might be your problem cause I'm not quite sure what oil pump is metering what. Try having the codes cleared and see which one's come back.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:21 AM

Thanks bigblue for all the info again. If you find anymore information out on the 1682 code let me know. Thanks bro I will try deleting the codes and see which ones creep back my way. So I guess i need to start checking on an injection pump? Also do you think this can be causing the way my tranny is acting?
Old 07-23-2006, 12:05 PM
Banned

Nah. The injection pump only concerns the injectors and how the engine itself runs. The only driveability issues it causes is a dead pedal, hard starts when warm, missing, loss of power. Some give warning signs and other's just up and die. I'd say if your truck is running fine then I wouldn't worry about it until you get your trans issue figured out.
Old 07-23-2006, 01:34 PM

Yeah my engine runs fine. I haven't had any problems with engine at all, no dead pedal or hard starts just the tranny problem. I wonder if the 1682 has something to do with my driveablity problem? Thanks again for your help

Old 07-23-2006, 09:02 PM

This has to be an electrical problem........... I am not sure but I need to find an electrical schematic that shows wire identification and voltage. Neither one of my manuals have any specific information on the electrical system on my truck. Does the dealer have anything of this nature? There are no codes that would be keeping my tranny from functioning properly right unless I am overlooking something? Also the correct maxium oil pressure is ??? I guess I am just going to keep trying!
Old 07-25-2006, 01:14 PM

Ok I cleared the codes and this is what I found.

Still have the 1693

1765-trans voltage relay circuit either has an open circuit or a short

0753-shift solenoid A circuit electrical

So either I have a short or a ground problem. That is what I am thinking. Does anyone have a clue of where I can get a wiring diagram for the electrical system. I also need to find what my voltage ranges need to be when the ignition is on and when running. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Thanks