24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Question about adding cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about adding cruise control

I know this topic has been discussed before, but I've been unable in the former threads to find an answer to my specific question: I'm trying to find out exactly what parts are needed to add factory cruise control to my truck so I can call around to salvage yards to locate the parts. I know I need the steering wheel switches, I think I need the clockspring (don't know if the clockspring I already have will handle cruise or not), and what I really need to know is if our trucks use servos for cc or if it is completely electronic? The reason I ask that is in one of the older threads about this, someone said all they needed to buy were the switches and that everything else was already there--and I know my truck doesn't have a servo on it! I did check with my local dealer and he said there used to be a kit available for about $230.00 but it is no longer available and that I'd have to order all parts seperately (at great cost), but he didn't know exactly what I would need to order/what the kit included. Can anyone on here help out? Any info would be greatly appreciated (especially if you have part #'s) as I'd like to have this done before my trip to Tennessee at the end of this month.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:52 PM

not that this is the answer to your question or not, I have an electric high idle silanoid or how ever it's spelled on the side of my injection pump I got mine from harold bowers. with a push of a button it holds my rpm at 1200-1400 depending on how warm it is. you pick the right gears and you could be going 60-65, this also holds the throtle peddle down a bit. I am unsure if the truck will throw a code I know mine doesn't when I use it to go 30 mph. on cruse. the kits cost like $60. it's an idea. you can also look up the the term High idler and there is a group that made a kit that fools the truck to think you are pressing the peddle and is adjustable. take a look
Old 03-05-2007, 03:58 PM

I bought a Dodge kit from the dealer and it had the clock spring, steering wheel switches, and the vacuum servo. Everything just plugged in and worked.

My 2002 truck would have come with all-electronic cruise if I'd bought it with cruise, but the servo cruise works fine.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by the_fox_man4
not that this is the answer to your question or not, I have an electric high idle silanoid or how ever it's spelled on the side of my injection pump I got mine from harold bowers. with a push of a button it holds my rpm at 1200-1400 depending on how warm it is. you pick the right gears and you could be going 60-65, this also holds the throtle peddle down a bit. I am unsure if the truck will throw a code I know mine doesn't when I use it to go 30 mph. on cruse. the kits cost like $60. it's an idea. you can also look up the the term High idler and there is a group that made a kit that fools the truck to think you are pressing the peddle and is adjustable. take a look
This isn't quite the answer I was looking for, but I'm still interested in hearing more about this high idle kit you have--more specifically, brand & model number? $60.00 sounds almost too good to be true; I'd like to check them out for myself and jump on it if it is true!!! Do you have the URL for a website where I could find it? My search for "high idle kit" didn't turn up anything like it...
Old 03-05-2007, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by cditrani
I bought a Dodge kit from the dealer and it had the clock spring, steering wheel switches, and the vacuum servo. Everything just plugged in and worked.

My 2002 truck would have come with all-electronic cruise if I'd bought it with cruise, but the servo cruise works fine.
Now I think I may be getting somewhere...are you saying our trucks don't have any kind of servo on them if bought with c/c from the factory, or are you saying they came with an electric servo vs. vacuum servo? Just trying to get it clarified so I know exactly what to ask around for when I call the salvage yards...As I established in my 1st post in this thread the kit is no longer available, so even if I were to buy the parts individually at the dealer I don't know if the vacuum servo would be available. One other question--where does the vacuum to operate that servo come from? Do you just cut a line from the vacuum pump and install a tee? I may just go with the audiovox c/c system but I would prefer having the factory control setup. Thanks again for any and all help you guys can give me here...
Old 03-06-2007, 07:34 AM

I don't think that the newer 2nd gens came with a servo even if you got it with CC, but I think the servo-based CC will work on any 2nd gen truck.

So I think if you get the servo and the steering wheel stuff, it will just work. At least it did on mine.

As for vacuum, there should be unused vacuum ports that you just take the cap off of and plug into.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:59 PM

here is that other link to the apps high idler/ cruse https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...pps+high+idler
I sent you a PM on the other info
Old 03-06-2007, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by cditrani
I don't think that the newer 2nd gens came with a servo even if you got it with CC, but I think the servo-based CC will work on any 2nd gen truck.

So I think if you get the servo and the steering wheel stuff, it will just work. At least it did on mine.

As for vacuum, there should be unused vacuum ports that you just take the cap off of and plug into.
Sounds pretty simple to me...what all is involved with installing the clockspring & switches? Do you just pull the airbag to get at them, or do you have to remove the steering wheel & dig into the steering column? I have a couple of steering wheel pullers so that wouldn't be an issue, but I've never had to go beyond that point as far as working on steering columns. If the clockspring is part of the wheel assembly, would it be just as easy or easier to just take the whole wheel from the donor truck? Sorry about so many questions, but cruise control just isn't covered very well in the shop manual I have, and I've never seen what's hidden behind the airbag on one of our trucks. Thanks again for the help...
Old 03-07-2007, 07:32 AM

You have to remove the steering wheel so you'll need a puller. Other than that it's cake.

CD
Old 03-07-2007, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by 24vCTD
This isn't quite the answer I was looking for, but I'm still interested in hearing more about this high idle kit you have--more specifically, brand & model number? $60.00 sounds almost too good to be true; I'd like to check them out for myself and jump on it if it is true!!! Do you have the URL for a website where I could find it? My search for "high idle kit" didn't turn up anything like it...
I wouldn't recomend doing this for a cruise control alternative. A high idle kit is just that, a kit that will raise your idle, meaning the motor is not under a load. Now when your moving/towing/whatever the motor is under a load and engaging the high idle will probably have adverse affects on the pump, wearing it out quicker.

That is not even mentioning the fact that it will only hold your RPM's at a set level, from the sounds of it the idle would be at 1,200 rpms. So in each gear the make-shift "cruise" would only work at one speed and it would be directly related to how fast you are going at 1,200rpms in that gear.

In short i'd just forget about this, the kit is for raising your idle for a quicker warmup, not cruise control.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by JHew84
I wouldn't recomend doing this for a cruise control alternative. A high idle kit is just that, a kit that will raise your idle, meaning the motor is not under a load. Now when your moving/towing/whatever the motor is under a load and engaging the high idle will probably have adverse affects on the pump, wearing it out quicker.

That is not even mentioning the fact that it will only hold your RPM's at a set level, from the sounds of it the idle would be at 1,200 rpms. So in each gear the make-shift "cruise" would only work at one speed and it would be directly related to how fast you are going at 1,200rpms in that gear.

In short i'd just forget about this, the kit is for raising your idle for a quicker warmup, not cruise control.
I'm aware of everything you said JHew; I just meant I was interested in the high idle in addition to the cruise control. Thanks for your concern.
Old 04-01-2007, 11:25 AM

Well, I just got back from my trip to Tennessee, and I now have cruise control. I built my own high idle box before going on the trip, so I have that as well. For the cruise control, I called around to my local salvage yards and no one had what I needed (they all said my truck was "too new" to find parts for it there--6 years old is too new to have a wrecked one laying around?!?) Anyway, I ended up driving to Tennessee without cruise control, and the very first junkyard my father and I went to had a wrecked '01 1500 with the 5.2L V8 and cruise control. I bought the servo, clockspring, & leather-wrapped steering wheel (including airbag module) from it for $90.00 + tax. After changing out the clockspring & steering wheel, I plugged in the servo & hooked up the vacuum line, but I found the cable too short to hook up to the bellcrank. I decided to test the servo to see if it even worked before modifying the cable or APPS bracket to make it fit, so I took the truck for a drive with the cable hanging out from under the hood and engaged the cruise control expecting to see the cable move but instead the truck maintained speed on it's own! I took the servo back to the junkyard and told them it seemed to have a vacuum leak, and they took it and gave me $40.00 + tax back. So total investment for cruise control = $50.00 + tax + 45 minutes to install it, plus a spare airbag module as a bonus! Just thought I'd post this so people everywhere with cruise-challenged trucks can see how easy and cheap it can be to add cruise, and that you can even use a gasser as a parts donor...
Old 03-15-2009, 10:39 AM

This is AMAZING info!!! Exactly what I was looking for. Thanx for doing the leg work.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:18 PM

I was wondering how you made a gas servo work, I got all the parts for a gas truck but the cable was too short, I got a servo from a diesel truck but nothing happens, did you have the problem too?
Old 11-04-2009, 04:25 PM

well I may of misunderstood what you had said, how did you end up getting it to work?