24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Q? replacing factory clutch- bye bye warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2002, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Q? replacing factory clutch- bye bye warranty?

???<br><br> replacing the factory clutch with a better unit ,shouldnt void any type of warranty should it??<br><br> i know i have read a few times about tapping the wire will void the warranty, but what about the clutch??<br><br>
Old 12-03-2002, 05:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Q? replacing factory clutch- bye bye warranty?

If your over the 36k mark than you should already be out of warranty anyway. Thats all the warranty a clutch should be under. If not you should ask your dealer about it.
Old 12-03-2002, 05:52 PM

im sorry, i need to elaborate-<br><br> if i was to purchase a southbend clutch to hold more power in the future, would i void the warranty of the engine or the transmission??<br><br> i know it sounds really stupid of me to ask, but ive been reading alot here lately and alot of it is getting scrambled in my brain!!!<br><br>and the truck has only 10k on it now-<br><br> and i thought that clutch/ brake pads/shoes were never a warranty item anyhow???<br><br> <br>
Old 12-03-2002, 06:00 PM

I think the clutch is covered for certain things other than thatI personally can't see why it would due anything to your warranty but I'm not dodge I sure would ask your dealer then for sure
Old 12-03-2002, 06:20 PM

I don't think the clutch would void any warrenty, but I've been told if you add any power enhancments to the engine the drivetrain warrenty is void.....<br><br><br>
Old 12-03-2002, 09:29 PM

Pat, I'm pretty sure clutch assy is only covered up to 12,000 miles, not the 36,000 figure for the rest of the truck. I don't see how they could ever tell that you changed out the clutch, even if they drive it.<br><br>Sam
Old 12-03-2002, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Replacing the clutch would just be the normal wear and tear stuff, just because you chose another company other than Dodge shouldn't be reason to void anything.<br><br>Now, if they noticed it was a huge pulling clutch, they'd suspect other modifications and be careful to look for them, and those would void any and all warranties (except outer body rust through :)<br><br><br>phox
Old 12-04-2002, 09:54 AM

They'd have to show that the after market clutch was the cause of a failure in order to deny coverage because of it. I'm not aware of any automatically-imposed restricted warranty except when they find the pump wire pierced.
Old 12-04-2002, 04:18 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Clutch and brake pads/shoes...12,000 miles warranty.<br><br>They cannot void a warranty for simply seeing something.<br>It has to cause the failure. Some dealershi*s will lie and tell you that it is void. They can restrict the warranty on the engine if a pump is failed and they see the wire on the VP-44 tapped. However, this leads me back to what I always believe...If you wanna play, you better be prepared to pay.<br><br>In regards to the clutch...I'd toss that Luk as far as you can.<br>Just my opinion. Be safe with an aftermarket clutch.
Old 12-04-2002, 04:27 PM
Administrator

I'm not saying they'll void it just for seeing the big clutch.<br>The big clutch will give them reason to go digging deeper looking for other mods, or evidence of other mods that will let them void the warranty.<br>Someone wouldn't shell out the bucks for a huge clutch for stock power .<br><br>I have no mods on mine yet, but already have evidence of mods.<br>When the dealer replaced my VP44 under warranty (at 4k miles even) they neglected to put the &quot;void&quot; stickers back on it.<br>I'll have some convincing and arguing and raising my voice if I have it in for warranty work again. I know they didn't make a note of the missing stickers, so it's my word against theirs. &gt;<br><br>Guess it's time to make all that shouting worth it ;D.<br><br><br>phox
Old 12-04-2002, 05:35 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Whats odd is some trucks have the stickers and some do not.<br>They sure would have to be snooping deep to check on the clutch...I doubt that they [techs] will look at it or maybe even know where it is... . Of course that is only from my own personal experience at one particular place. . Good point too on the stock clutch with stock power...run it til its toast and then put the new one in.<br><br>Rods 3rd gen wreaks of clutch a lot and its bone stock...I bet that Luk clutc is at the very edge of letting go with that slight increase of power on the common rail trucks. <br><br>I pretty much steer clear of the dealerships...of course its cuz I have a bit more then stock power too. ;D<br><br>eh
Old 12-04-2002, 11:15 PM

[quote author=Ram4Sam link=board=4;threadid=7827;start=0#75285 date=1038972580]<br>Pat, I'm pretty sure clutch assy is only covered up to 12,000 miles, not the 36,000 figure for the rest of the truck. I don't see how they could ever tell that you changed out the clutch, even if they drive it.<br><br>Sam<br>[/quote]<br><br> im under the impression that my 02 has a 100k warranty for the front axle, rear axle, tranny, transfer case, and engine-<br> all the electrical stuff goes away at 36k on my truck <br><br> my last new dodge i bought was a 96 INDY PACE TRUCK and NEVER EVER had one SINGLE problem with it- i have the same faith in my new one, that's why i didnt purchase the extended warranty-<br>
Old 12-09-2002, 07:08 PM

Anyone ever heard of this? If I install the D-Celerator, will it void my vehicle warranty?<br>No, the addition of the D-Celerator doesn’t void your vehicle warranty. Automotive manufacturers such as Dodge, General Motors, Ford, Freightliner, and Spartan have publicized the fact that the addition of aftermarket products does not void their warranties. There has been a lot of confusion about this issue, but federal law actually prohibits manufacturers from voiding warranties based on the addition of aftermarket parts unless they can prove that the aftermarket item caused a failure in the vehicle.