24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Pulling to the Right

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulling to the Right

alingement shop cant seem to get my truck to drive straight. both passenger side ball joints and track bar replaced in nov right before the first time i took it in. tires are brand new and every combo has been on the front and even a different brand new pair was put on to rule out radial pull. been to different shops and still the same outcome. alingement was set so it would pull to the left but it still pulls to the right. any suggestions/ideas? thanks in advanced for the help.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:32 PM
Banned

My buddy has an 01' HO that does the same dang thing and nobody can figure out what will solve it. He has put all sorts of different parts up front and it still pulls like crazy..........they were trying to dupe him into buying this crazy expensive adjustible ball joint they said was guaranteed to fix his problem. For the price they wanted to charge I could have delt with it pulling a little bit!!!

So I'm curious as well if anybody knows what causes this, he is extremely frustrated to say the least!!

~Nick
Old 01-24-2006, 01:51 PM

i almost went that route. about 6 months before i bought new tire i had it alinged and was told the same thing, i need an adjustable ball joint. the ball joints i replace, im assuming they were adjustable, were mounted on a cam type piece and offset in the housing. but havent heard anything about an adjustable joint this time around. so has anybody tried an aftermarket adjustable ball joint?
Old 01-24-2006, 03:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You should try this first.

Take the right front tire and put it on the left side and vice a versa. If it does not pull as much or very little you may have a bad belt in that tire that you just put on the left side.

If it still pulls have the front end shop raise the Caster Angle on the right side. Remember, the roads have a camber to the right built in for drainage. Old timers would automatically raise the caster to counter the camber in the road.

I had a real bad pull when I got my truck. Every time I had the front end alligned I had them raise the caster a little. It went to far until it pulled somewhat to the left. Next time in lowered it and going down the road straight now and has been for several years.

You might try another front end shop as well.

Dave
Old 01-24-2006, 04:03 PM

Well if all else fails you can try to adjust the caster yourself by using this method. Ive heard of a few that have tried this and it has worked for them, but i personally have not tried yet but thinking about giving it a try. Read the entire post so you get the idea of what to do. Ive also read so post over on tdr about this also.

http://www.pavementsucks.com/forums/...hp?topic=33840
Old 01-24-2006, 04:39 PM

mine pulls slightly to the right for about a year but its not getting worse...and i just had the allignment done and it didnt solve it...i aksed them to just let me know if they see any loose parts and it turns out my outer/right tie-rod end is not very sturdy......the whole dodge front steering parts aren't really made beefy enough for the weight of a cummins...if u love ur truck and plan on keeping it id go with aftermarket parts as u replace these things...im sure people will send u some links
Old 01-24-2006, 05:07 PM

I thought it was normal. Mine's done it since time began. Doesn't pull hard nor does it seem to wear the tires. Probably just the crown on the road. Surely DC couldn't have designed it that way
Old 01-24-2006, 07:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try disconnecting the front sway bar. Mine pulled right until I removed one link and now it wants to pull left.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:42 PM

thanks for the replys guys. ill check out that post and maybe this weekend i detach the sway bar. im taking it back in to have it alinged this weekend. this shop, third one ive been to, is supposed to have the lastest and greatest. i dont think its the crown in the road, ive driven about 8000 miles since the first alingement(nov 05) and the only time it drove straight was with a cross wind. maybe dc did make it this way? has anyone had any experience with the adjustable or offset ball joints. thank in advance for your replys.