24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Puke Bottle?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Puke Bottle?

So what is the easy way to first clean the puke bottle, and secondly relocate it so the front of the motor/axle/radiator is not covered in oil?

Thanks
Old 09-25-2007, 06:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
just get rid of it.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:36 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check this thread.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by mini14
just get rid of it.
So instead of it catching some oil then overflowing, it just dumps it all onto the front of the truck? No thanks
Old 09-25-2007, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by ytodd
So instead of it catching some oil then overflowing, it just dumps it all onto the front of the truck? No thanks
Unless you're truck has serious blow by, you won't see any on the underside of the truck. I can crawl underneath mine and not find any oil from the tube back.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:48 PM
Banned

i've posted my personal fix on the site before but never got any interested listeners. you sound like a good prospect, so try this. get some scotchbrite and cut it so it makes perfect wraps inside the bottle, i use two layers = two pieces to cover area from bottom of bottle to just below the threads. make sure the seams don't line up with the holes and offset them like piston rings. this setup acts as a makeshift coalescing filter, and seems to work fairly well.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by duner
i've posted my personal fix on the site before but never got any interested listeners. you sound like a good prospect, so try this. get some scotchbrite and cut it so it makes perfect wraps inside the bottle, i use two layers = two pieces to cover area from bottom of bottle to just below the threads. make sure the seams don't line up with the holes and offset them like piston rings. this setup acts as a makeshift coalescing filter, and seems to work fairly well.
That sounds very interesting, and practical. I am having a hard time picturing it...do you have a pic?

Thanks
Old 09-26-2007, 12:22 AM
Banned

i can take it apart for pics if need be but it's not a set in stone kind of deal. i just made it up as i went. it may work just as well if you coil the scotchbrite up and stick it in the bottle. just make sure you cut it short enough to fit tightly against the sides of the bottle and still cover the holes completely. i buy the scotchbrite in the bundles at Sams' Club so the whole deal cost me maybe a nickle. it would be nice to see if this works on the higher mileage trucks as well. i just went out and did a smear test on the fan and there was only a light coating of dirt. before i "filtered" the bottle there was always a coating of oil. anyway, it only costs a few cents to try it and only takes a few minutes. it would be cool to see if it works on more than one truck.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:39 AM

I spend $15 and bought a length of 1" heater hose & 2 "L" connections and attached it to the frame rail infront of the driver side tire. I'll have pics up by the weekend.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by duner
i can take it apart for pics if need be but it's not a set in stone kind of deal. i just made it up as i went. it may work just as well if you coil the scotchbrite up and stick it in the bottle. just make sure you cut it short enough to fit tightly against the sides of the bottle and still cover the holes completely.
That makes sense to me now. I will give it a shot and let you know.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:45 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Diesel
I spend $15 and bought a length of 1" heater hose & 2 "L" connections and attached it to the frame rail infront of the driver side tire. I'll have pics up by the weekend.
you will have to change the heater hose every year, oil destroys it, ask me how i know
Old 09-26-2007, 10:24 PM

Here ya go! Tech right up I did.

I know there are alot of guys out there with this problem, so hear is a simple, $10.00 fix. The 12 & 24v engines have an oil collector that sits on the front of the engine. The collector (Pill box) fills with oil and when the engine is on an incline or decline the oil runs out and is sucked through fan and builds up on the radiator causing overheating issues.

Hear is what you'll need:

-6ft of 1/2 PCV pipe
-2, 90deg female couplers
-1, 90deg female/male (non-threaded) coupler
-1, 90deg female/male threaded coupler
-1, straight coupler female, threaded on one end, non-threaded the other end
-1ft of clear vinyl hose
-2 hose clamps
-1 can of black paint (I used flat)

Thanks to MPM1973. His initial idea I made a few changes.

Tye
Old 09-27-2007, 03:32 AM
Banned

i used the buckshot method. but i made a few changes. i used all flex tube cause i had it laying around. except the 90 degree bend where it goes over the tps. i got tired of cleaning everything.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by johnh
you will have to change the heater hose every year, oil destroys it, ask me how i know
not enough oil flows through it to cause damage, i agree I will have to change it but in 3-4yrs, but I guess from your statement u had problems in 1yr
Old 09-27-2007, 09:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See my picts..... I simply relocated the bottle to the outside of the frame.

Quick Reply: Puke Bottle?