24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Protecting my investment

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 08:23 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Protecting my investment

So now that I've had my CTD for two plus years completely stock, what should I do to protect this investment and what would you suggest for priorities? I plan on keeping it for as many years as I can and have read with interest the posts on the VP44, LPs, Juice, etc. What should I save up for? I have some mechanical ability, but haven't worked on diesels since the 1970s and those were boats. I've been taking it to the dealer for normal services but somehow, I'm not so sure I would want to go that route if the IP failed. So anything I do myself would have to include detailed step by step instructions. I don't know any local diesel mechanics in NH. Anyhow, here's how I use it:

1) Previously about 10k miles a year but that will likely double or more since my Subaru blew a head gasket - so let's say 20K per year or more.
2) Live in New Hampshire so cold starts will happen in the winter.
3) Only plow my own driveway.
4) Mostly regional/local driving except once a year (just put on 3300 miles to FL and back).
5) 2 horse bumper pull trailer that is used frequently during the year (mostly local) although last trip was to SC and back in Feb. Most trips are 200 miles or less.
6) If I could get my 2001 30' Sportsman (that killed my 95 Suburban) back, I would take it out west for vacation probably every year.

Thanks for any advice,
AJG617
Old 03-25-2007, 10:54 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess you know that having a fuel pressure gauge is a must to keep an eye on the lift pump.

Maybe, switch over to 5w40 oil in the winter.

Try to fill up at high turn over diesel fuel stations.

Keep the bands adjusted in the transmission. Its a pretty easy job to do if you don't mind getting some tranny oil in your face.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:43 AM

Plug it in during the cold weather.

Along with fuel pressure gage, with towing I would recomend a EGT gage, install pre turbo in the exhaust manifold. A tranny temp gage, and maybe boost. I don't have a boost gage yet.
In the cold weather a good fuel additive. Lots of threads on that.
Do a search on the VP-44, someone just posted step by step instructions on changing it.
Where is your 30' sportsman trailer?

Good luck, enjoy your retirement. Out west is a great place to see.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike D
I guess you know that having a fuel pressure gauge is a must to keep an eye on the lift pump.

Maybe, switch over to 5w40 oil in the winter.

Try to fill up at high turn over diesel fuel stations.

Keep the bands adjusted in the transmission. Its a pretty easy job to do if you don't mind getting some tranny oil in your face.
Thanks Mike,
Not many high turnover fuel stations in the immediate vicinity. Daily price per gallon seems to drive turnover. Regarding the 5w40 winter oil, do you have any preferences? Local Dodge dealer I use puts in 5w30 Mobil. Have to pay them a visit this week for another oil change.

What do you look for in the fuel guage - a massive drop in pressure or a gradual drop, or maybe either?

Thanks,
AJG617
Old 03-28-2007, 08:39 PM

Wink

I would like to echo the fuel pressure gauge suggestion. My CTD is proof as to the benifit of a fuel pressure gauge it saved my VP44 when my OEM lp went south for the winter. It saved me $1100 for a new VP44. pipergsd