24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Procedure for coolant flush....

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Procedure for coolant flush....

Could someone please give me the run down on the best way to do a coolant flush on my 2002??? I need to get all the new dex cool out and replace with a better product!!! Thanks!!
Old 08-03-2007, 09:40 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Use the drain on the driver side of the radiator to drain the coolant. You can pull the t-stat housing to flush the system clean, then use low psi compressed air to get the rest of the water out. Close the drain and back fill the system through the t-stat housing to help prevent getting trapped air.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Heres a nifty trick I came up with.

Take the top hose off and pop the thermostat housing off too, remove thermostat, replace thermostat housing, be careful not to damage the gasket. Now reverse the top hose and point the long end over the grill. Be ready with a catch bucket. Also take the radiator cap off.

What I did was let the water pump do the work. I would start the engine and let the water pump pump coolant out of the upper hose while having a garden hose keep the radiator full. Remember the flow path. The water pump draws water from the radiator via the lower hose, then circulates through the block, then out the thermostat and into the radiator via the upper hose. I did that and until the flush water was clear and non-frothy. Then I drained the block and radiator, and blew out the heater core too. I then refilled the system with a 50-50 mix of distilled water and Fleetguard ES Compleat diesel coolant. That is the same Fleetguard that makes our filters, they also make coolant, and it is dyed a very nice shade of blue, no more nuclear green.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:46 PM
Chapter President

Usually what I do is find out which heater hose is the inlet and outlet. Remove the outlet hose, connect your garden hose to the outlet side of the heater core and turn on water, low of course don't go crazy. This will back flush your heater core and entire system. I just leave the radiator cap off and let it run. You could also remove the inlet side of the hose and just watch it and when it starts running clear your ok. Drain off the water in the radiator and add your favorite brand of coolant. Sometimes, I'll just do it both ways on the heater core hoses, to really get it all out and of course flush the heater core to remove sediment from there as well.

Of course drain off your coolant into an approved container for recycling so we won't poison ourselves, wildlife, etc, etc.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:48 AM

You do not need to replace the G0-5 coolant, I mentioned this in my reply to your other thread.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice idea on the flushing,

However I have another silly question, is there (I can not find it) a petcock drain /tube under or near the bottom of that huge radiator?
If so tell me,, My manual just says "drain it" hahaha Duhh..
I had to replace thermostat and ended up removing "just enough green blood" to get to it w/out draining it all out.
Thanks loads,,
Pappy~~
Old 11-13-2007, 04:10 PM

Petcock location

Its on the drivers side of the radiator (bottom of course) mine is a small plastic one that you turn 1/4 turn counter clockwise then pull it out while turning another 1/4 turn.
I had to replace the O-Ring on mine. Just used small vice grip pliers and 'popped' it out. (after I had backed it up the 1/4 turn and pulled while turning a bit more)
My O-Ring was creased so was leaking. Other threads have recommended some waterproof grease to minimize sticky O-Ring on next use. (its also probably much easier to put back in).
I had forgot to buy the grease when I got the O-Ring and had some small trouble getting it back in. With a new ring I couldn't get it to 'bite' the threads (for lack of a better words since it isn't really 'threaded') so I tapped with a small hammer till it 'popped' in place. No more leak!!