24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

problems help me troubleshoot.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
still stumped. pulled injector and the tip is fine. scoped the hole and nothing looks unnormal. I have not found any material in my oil yet. I cannot understand the excessive ammount of fuel that is being sent out exhaust. if the piston was not sealing I would be putting fuel in the oil. also when turning the engine over by hand noticed a slight tighter spot when cyl #1 would be going on down stroke from TDC. used a temp reader this time and in the 3 min of idle injector #1 was 20 degrees cooler than the other. I didn't want to run the truck that long. also noticing that when I was starting the truck after priming it back after pulling the injector. when it was turning over but not firing yet it sounded normal not a bad clang clang sound untill it fired up and then it would do the sound? the next thing friends and I were going to try is pull gear off injection pump and then rotate engine and see if rough spot that was felt turning it over is still there. If I spun a main bearing I dont think I would have the oil pressure that I do have. I dont have a rod stuck through the side of the block from what I can tell my head/ valve train is good. any Ideas. would it be worth pulling front cover. or would you pull the oil pan first and look underneath? I know it can be done probley just a pain to pull the pan with motor in the truck.

Last edited by DIESELWRKS; 06-12-2010 at 09:58 PM. Reason: add more
Old 06-13-2010, 06:02 PM

If everything looks normal in the cylinder, pop the injector. Hold off tear down untill you rule out fuel problems. I would next try unhooking # 1 injector and starting truck. Is it still noisey? With no metal in the oil either you have no hard part damage or caught it very early. Good luck
Old 06-14-2010, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by wmcclay
If everything looks normal in the cylinder, pop the injector. Hold off tear down untill you rule out fuel problems. I would next try unhooking # 1 injector and starting truck. Is it still noisey? With no metal in the oil either you have no hard part damage or caught it very early. Good luck
sound still present with injector no supplied with fuel when running. so ouch I think is coming
Old 07-02-2010, 02:15 PM

okay so word from sourceautomotive so far is had to pull head #5 piston looked like something smashed up on it. pulled head found no exh valve .. piston destroyed and will check on cleaning up cyl to see how bad the walls are. next pull pan and check underneath
Old 07-02-2010, 08:55 PM
Banned

I was going to suggest a leak down test before pulling the head. That would let you know what shape the rest of the cylinders is in & also where bad one is leaking before pulling the head.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:16 AM

didn't think of this my exhaust side of the turbo could also have been damaged pending if any of the valve chunks got spit out. so more $. I know the bottom crank etc. are pretty stout on our trucks but what is the chance that it did any bottom damage on this. I'm hoping the piston absorbed most of the damage being softer.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:33 PM

so head is repared. all pistons once measured are under minimum specs so I will be replacing them all with mahle pistons. puting new bearings since its apart. the mach 4's are sent off to Don to check them and clean them in case. HTT 62/14 is being sent to high Tech to inspect and possible rebuild the exhaust side. slowly getting there.