24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Problems after FASS install

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Problems after FASS install

I installed my FASS 95/95 in my 2001.
I used the supplied push lock fittings. However, I also put a hose clamp on top of them. I was just a little worried and wanted to be safe. I initially installed the line directly to my pump like the directions explained. I decided that I could just as easily hook it to the inlet to the stock filter and keep the water in fuel sensor active. So, I went that route instead.

Problem:
I now seem to loose my prime after my truck sits for a couple of days. I have to really let my starter crank the engine over to get it to start. The longer my truck sits, the longer I have to crank my engine to get it to start.

I am thinking the the washer on the fitting to the ip has a crush sleeve type of washer and it is allowing the pressure to bleed off. By taking this fitting off initially, i ruined the seal of the crush washer. The other thing might simply be I have ruined the sealing properties of the push lock fittings by putting clamps on them. Maybe the o-ring on the oem filter housing isn't sealing properly without a filter installed.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old 03-10-2009, 05:09 PM

Unless you have a problem with water in your fuel alot, I would plumb that baby right to the vp. The FASS will be removing the water from the fuel so it wouldn't be going to the filter housing anyhow. Besides that, I doubt if the water would accumulate there without a filter anyway...
Old 03-11-2009, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dennis
I installed my FASS 95/95 in my 2001.
I used the supplied push lock fittings. However, I also put a hose clamp on top of them. I was just a little worried and wanted to be safe. I initially installed the line directly to my pump like the directions explained. I decided that I could just as easily hook it to the inlet to the stock filter and keep the water in fuel sensor active. So, I went that route instead.

Problem:
I now seem to loose my prime after my truck sits for a couple of days. I have to really let my starter crank the engine over to get it to start. The longer my truck sits, the longer I have to crank my engine to get it to start.

I am thinking the the washer on the fitting to the ip has a crush sleeve type of washer and it is allowing the pressure to bleed off. By taking this fitting off initially, i ruined the seal of the crush washer. The other thing might simply be I have ruined the sealing properties of the push lock fittings by putting clamps on them. Maybe the o-ring on the oem filter housing isn't sealing properly without a filter installed.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I would once over all your fittings and look for anything wet.

Hose clamps should not be needed....but shouldn't hurt to use. Even if the hose is pushed up half way...they usually hold pretty good.

How quickly does our pump build pressure initially when turned on? If almost immediately, I would venture a guess its going to be at the fittings on the engine.

Have you done injectors recently? I have seen the connecting tube cause an issue like this.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:08 PM

No, my injectors are stock. There is no sign of leaking at any of the hose connections. I suspect that it is the fitting at the IP where I initially had the line hooked up. I snugged it down a little more and hopefully that will take care of it.

Thanks for the response.
Dennis
Old 03-12-2009, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Dennis
No, my injectors are stock. There is no sign of leaking at any of the hose connections. I suspect that it is the fitting at the IP where I initially had the line hooked up. I snugged it down a little more and hopefully that will take care of it.

Thanks for the response.
Dennis
No prob.....these fittings usually dont give us much fits...but you might inspect the o-ring with the back-up washer (its not a crush washer). Look for any cuts or any abnormalities on the sealing surface on the filter head.

Let me know what you find.....
Old 03-12-2009, 01:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
thers no need for clamps with those fittings, and it might be a bad vp overflow valve, pull the valve and check it. u shouldn't reuse sealing washers, but if they were leaking air, they would leak fuel too so look for a small leak.check your pressures too too high and u can have a starting prob, then u would just reduce pressure.