24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Pricing out VP44

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 09:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mysterync
If they pass, and were to fail, it would be well within the warranty.
Not if wire tapped...right?

I've never gotten a pump without new electronics!
Value your opinion, as always, but .....how do you know? Anyway to tell?
I've seen too many remanufactured pumps, with supposedly the latest upgrades, fail in th 40,000 to 60,000 miles range. My second included.
Something is less that brand new.
With the latest upgrades, like Fed Ex electronics, these pumps should be better, and lasting longer than original factory issue.
What's suspicious to me is - no one that rebuilds these pumps is talking about how great they are now.... or how they are better.

I was told by the owner of a Bosch approved rebuilding station that if a pump has the newer electronics board (Fed Ex, I guess) and passes testing, it gets reused!

RJ
Old 07-29-2009, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RowJ
Not if wire tapped...right?

Value your opinion, as always, but .....how do you know? Anyway to tell?
I've seen too many remanufactured pumps, with supposedly the latest upgrades, fail in th 40,000 to 60,000 miles range. My second included.
Something is less that brand new.
WIth the latest upgrades, like Fed Ex electronics, these pumps should be better, and lasting longer than original factory issue.
What's suspicious to me is - no one that rebuilds these pumps is talking about how great they are or how they are better.

RJ
Wire tapped is a big issue, Regardless they'll fight you if they can on warranty, just like anything else
Every pump I've bought, I've bought from the same vendor, Asked the same question. Does this pump include new electronics? Whats the Warranty? I've been very careful when it comes to my customers. I keep the information documented and if it fails under 100K and the companys still in buisness, I go to bat for the customer.
The pumps should last 100K in all honesty, I've yet to have a replacement pump fail in 4 years now with correct fuel pressure, Correct fuel volume. There all junk no matter how you look at it, it's a poor design. But we do have methods to prevent a early failure. For Instance, My 01 had the pump replaced at 52,321. I've Since sold the truck and for a little history it made 599RWHP fuel only , 636 On water, and later made 839 on spray. It's well over 120K at this point and is still on the same pump. It's getting a new block now, but it's getting the same vp back on it.

A good sign of new electronics is the quality of all of the terminals, here's a link that shows the electronic setup, It'll make it easier to understand the concept of replacement. If it's new, It's got the new fed-ex electronics according to every fuel injection shop I've talked to. Now, remember all of the information I've provided is from personal experience , the information provided by bosch, dodge, cummins as well as the guys in the fuel injection shops. So far the fuel volume and pressure approach has served me well!
Old 07-29-2009, 12:06 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
RowJ, A thought on electronics, Most companies will replace the electronics, If they pass, and were to fail, it would be well within the warranty. I've nevery gotten a pump without new electronics!
My question exactly...how do you really know it has new electronics as they're all "shiney new looking". My pump wouldn't begin acting up until after full warm up and in use. IMO, once the electronics began to heat up intermitent failure would begin. This type of scenario is very difficult to replicate on a test bench and if not replaced, then the "new owner" of my old reman/rebuilt pump gets the problem. I'm not doubting you but unless you're sitting right there w/the bosch tech you really don't know as they're pushing them thru as fast as they can and if they pass they're shipped to vendors, etc. Trust me...I'm on your side and we all know cost cutting in the market is in full force.

Last edited by high bid; 07-29-2009 at 12:07 PM. Reason: text added
Old 07-29-2009, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by high bid
My question exactly...how do you really know it has new electronics as they're all "shiney new looking". My pump wouldn't begin acting up until after full warm up and in use. IMO, once the electronics began to heat up intermitent failure would begin. This type of scenario is very difficult to replicate on a test bench and if not replaced, then the "new owner" of my old reman/rebuilt pump gets the problem. I'm not doubting you but unless you're sitting right there w/the bosch tech you really don't know as they're pushing them thru as fast as they can and if they pass they're shipped to vendors, etc. Trust me...I'm on your side and we all know cost cutting in the market is in full force.
I completely agree, I've just been spending a little more time asking when I order the pump in hopes that atleast they would be honest enough to let me know. The key for us is keeping documented paperwork on each pump, Make notes of what the sales person indicates about the pump, Make sure the warranty information is on the invoice and so on. Then If Somthing Happens we go right back to them, Show them the information we have regarding the issue and what we were told. When I create a P.O. on a VP-44 all of the information I've been told is on the P.O.
I'm not even sure if the issue comes in the new or old board issue. New electronics are just as prone to failure, new stuff breaks too.
I think the problem is poor design.
I'm not sure on the truth of the matter but I was once told by a bosch guy that the VP-44 was designed for regulated gravity flow or 12 PSI pumped from ground tanks or tanks in the bottom of the gen set. The Fuel was pretty much cool at all times and supply wasnt an issue. Again, I'm not sure the truth behind it. but it's a thought! Mike out at inglewood sells fuel coolers for the duramax's. It goes in the spot of the factory fuel cooler, there were some figures regarding the cooler and the effect of warm fuel returning to the tanks and the effects of hot day on fuel temps in the tank in the first place. Heat soak has long been a problem with these pumps hasnt it? I'm not sure that tank temps would have any effect at all on the life of the pump, but we know the pumps are fuel cooled. If we've got cooler fuel and plenty of supply to the pump, the electronics would have to run cooler? I've seen guys try CPU heat sinks and fans somewhat like they did on the PMD for the 6.5 GM.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:00 PM

I know the pumps we are sourcing have new electronics.

The Fed Ex spec is a bit misleading as all replacement computers are virtually the same.

What fails on these boards is the soldered connections. This is primarily due to the lack of use of tin. Thank goodness I have tons of old stock for my personal use around. The new connections just fail.

There are some builders out there that fixed the failed part only. These pumps will not hold up as long.

Remember, the VP44 starts to die the moment it's put into service. Kinda like people that way....

Dave
Old 07-29-2009, 01:21 PM

Great explanation....I hope I last more than 60,000 miles.
In the fed ex upgrade, your saying all the electronics are basicly the same?
That was my impression from everyone I've talked to.

Originally Posted by Fishin2Deep4U
I know the pumps we are sourcing have new electronics.

The Fed Ex spec is a bit misleading as all replacement computers are virtually the same.

What fails on these boards is the soldered connections. This is primarily due to the lack of use of tin. Thank goodness I have tons of old stock for my personal use around. The new connections just fail.

There are some builders out there that fixed the failed part only. These pumps will not hold up as long.

Remember, the VP44 starts to die the moment it's put into service. Kinda like people that way....

Dave
Old 07-29-2009, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Fishin2Deep4U
...What fails on these boards is the soldered connections. This is primarily due to the lack of use of tin.
Thought it was Lead??
That's what I had heard the EPA cracked down on in solder.
Not a biggy....still a connection problem.

RJ
Old 07-30-2009, 08:08 AM

What fails on these boards is the soldered connections. This is primarily due to the lack of use of tin.

You mean there are unreliable "cold solder joints" that are the culprit?
Old 07-30-2009, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by jj3500
...You mean there are unreliable "cold solder joints" that are the culprit?
Found the post on this subject (from former NASA engineer) I thought I had 'bookmarked' but had not......
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...8&postcount=22

Followup here.....
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...1&postcount=27

RJ
Old 07-30-2009, 11:33 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Good info, thanks. I'm holding on to all of my receipt, warranty paper work and the recorded conversation of my recent VP44 purchase. With consistent clean fuel psi 24/7 it "seems" that the only or more relevant element of failure is the electronic portion of the pump. And you better believe that if it fails on day 364 it's going back for free replacement....but we all know how Murphy and his Law come into every plan. Good discussions.