24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Pricing out VP44

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pricing out VP44

Looking for some real world advice. I'm pricing out the VP44. They all appear/claim to perform similar. But their pricing varies by hundreds of dollars. I've seen Blue chip at the upper end and seen some that are just barely over $1K.

How do you guys know what you are getting? Do you feel better when you spend more money on the same/similar item? I just need to know if there are simple facts that actually drive price...if that exist.

FASS 150...I do plan on purchasing too.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:33 PM

I payed just over a grand for my VP44 through Midwest fuel injection. Have had 30k of trouble free miles with it. They used to have a VP44/Fass combo at a pretty good price. They also dont charge you the core for 30 days, as long as you return it..

Im not praising them, i have just had good service from them!
Old 07-27-2009, 03:07 PM

The difference in price is close to the difference in operating profit each desires. They are warrantied by Bosch through the builder. That is why HP pumps generally have far less warranty. A reman VP44 is just that, irregardless of advertised information. We all know paper lies still when it is written on. JMHO of course.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jj3500
....How do you guys know what you are getting?
Buy from a reputable dealer for best results. IMO, they do a good job.... HERE at $1,020.00
Get yourself an SO pump. Will allow more power from your mods and will work well on your HO engine.

The Blue Chip pumps are all brand new electronics and parts. They are better pumps. Just depends on your budget.
This last time around (my third) I went with Blue Chip. My CTD has never run better... but how long it lasts will be the deciding factor!

With less expensive VP-44's you get tested components but not necessarily replaced components.
If the electronics pass testing... I believe they are left in place.... so it's luck of the draw.
JMO

RJ
Old 07-27-2009, 04:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Purchased mine from my uncle who runs a bosch certified testing facility. I know he'll honor any/all warranties + some. Haven't paid for it yet but it should be under the $1k mark.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:05 PM

I got my first one for the '02 from Blue Chip as I ddin't want to have to replace it anytime soon, and has been running strong since (about 100k on it now), on my '01 funds were a bit tighter so I went with a pump from midwest fuel injection and have put about 30k on it so far with no issues.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by high bid
Purchased mine from my uncle who runs a bosch certified testing facility.....
Please ask your uncle if what I've heard is accurate.
If electronics test OK, they are left in place and reused... no matter how many heat cycles they have gone through?
Also, if this means some are in better shape than others and may last longer?

And, what Bosch considers the main reason for failure, on our trucks, would be interesting.
I recently found out there are millions of the VP-44's being used in Europe, on cars (BMW's included) ... wiith almost no failures!!

It's very hard to get good factual info on these remanufactured VP-44 pumps.

Thanks.... RJ
Old 07-28-2009, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by RowJ
Please ask your uncle if what I've heard is accurate.
If electronics test OK, they are left in place and reused... no matter how many heat cycles they have gone through?
Also, if this means some are in better shape than others and may last longer?

And, what Bosch considers the main reason for failure, on our trucks, would be interesting.
I recently found out there are millions of the VP-44's being used in Europe, on cars (BMW's included) ... wiith almost no failures!!

It's very hard to get good factual info on these remanufactured VP-44 pumps.

Thanks.... RJ
Yes, I am going to definately ask him about the elec portion of the pump as I'm about 99% sure my intermitent pump failure is electronic and not w/gear or housing lockup. You can test a pump all day long on a bench but until you replicate the same use as heat, load and cycles as on the actual motor it may not fail. I'll find out as much as I can and post the info.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:14 PM

I always laugh about the "better" VP44 pumps. Our pumps are built the exact same way and have been from the beginning.

The ultra cheap pumps are rebuilt, not remanufactured. The difference is rebuilt just replaces the failed and worn parts.

We should charge more and call them better.

Dave
Old 07-28-2009, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Fishin2Deep4U
I always laugh about the "better" VP44 pumps. Our pumps are built the exact same way and have been from the beginning. Dave
Are you saying new electronic boards on the VP-44's you sell?

RJ
Old 07-28-2009, 06:25 PM

I replaced mine from Midwest as well (actually from Tabor Alberta) about 2yrs ago 100,000kms and in excess of 4000hours of run time, still running strong! based on run time I should have 400,000kms on my truck! (one hour equaling 100kms...as if it was highway miles)
Old 07-28-2009, 09:49 PM

RowJ - I tried to get as much info out of him but it was 5pm...so here's what was found.
1. VP44 sold by them and their shops throughout TX are reman/rebuilt at the bosch center in Houston.
2. All of the pumps are completely gone thru and any w/old "style" housings or electronics are replaced w/new.
3. yes, all pumps are throughly tested and any out of tolerance mechanically or electronically the item is replaced.
4. He reiterated the same theory that the majority of failures was due to LP and inadequate fuel supply to cool the pump. Sorry, I don't have more factual info and this isn't anything new. My guess is that to get the the bear-bones facts you'd have to sit right next to one of the guys reman/rebuilding the pump in the facility and on the test bench as that persons opinion to trash a pump or rebuild it could be critical in the pump lifespan. Just more info to the everlasting VP44 debate and mysterious demise.

Last edited by high bid; 07-28-2009 at 09:51 PM. Reason: text edit
Old 07-29-2009, 08:43 AM

Good info! Thanks.
About what I was lead to believe from others.
There is still the nagging question of pass/fail on used electronics.... and is it possible that some rebuilts are less strong (barely passed testing) than others??
Anyone know the answer?

RJ
Old 07-29-2009, 08:50 AM

You beat me too it! I'm with Dave on the subject....If you waste money on somthing like a bluechip your doing just that.....wasting money.
Companys have found what a profit maker the VP-44 is. There's nothing more than the same pump with "better electronics". The only electronics available since 2002 were the better electronics. All remans use the fed-ex boards.

It's really just a scam to get your money

Originally Posted by Fishin2Deep4U
I always laugh about the "better" VP44 pumps. Our pumps are built the exact same way and have been from the beginning.

The ultra cheap pumps are rebuilt, not remanufactured. The difference is rebuilt just replaces the failed and worn parts.

We should charge more and call them better.

Dave
Old 07-29-2009, 08:53 AM

RowJ, A thought on electronics, Most companies will replace the electronics, If they pass, and were to fail, it would be well within the warranty. I've nevery gotten a pump without new electronics!

Quick Reply: Pricing out VP44