24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

POWER STEERING pushed fluid out cap of pump?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gmctd
NAPA, or Dodge - Ford and GM also, maybe. The color is the operating pressure rating - Gold for GM, Blue for Dodge, etc.
I found a supplier, it is from hydroboost rebuild shop. I saw on another site that if the accumulator loses its charge it would become loose in the hydroboost casting and you would be able to wiggle the accumulator. I can't wiggle the accumulator. Can the accumulator lose its charge internally and not come lose? Can the accumulator lose its charge due to a failue of the hydroboost unit, and if so when I replace the accumulator will the new accumulator lose its charge through the same hydroboost failure?
Old 10-13-2006, 12:44 PM

Doesn't jive with my recollection, but last I rebuilt one was over 6 years ago, and I've slept some since then, so you would probably be better served to call and ask the shop for specifics - specifically for the later Dodge versions.

If they got pictures, can you point me to the site with the diagnosis?

However, two things can happen - the acc leaks it's charge and blows the fluid out of the reservoir OR the valving goes south, and the acc merely unloads the reserve fluid, pushing the fluid out thru the reservoir.

In the first instance, you crank the engine, and top off the reservoir - kill the engine and fluid doesn't over-flow again.

In the second instance, you crank the engine, top off the reservoir, kill the engine, and you got fluid on the garage floor ag'in, and ag'in, and ag'in, ad infinitum - it'll keep on dumpin' long as you keep on refillin'.

Either way it's a big problem.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:08 AM
Banned

Wink

My PS fluid came out from the cap this summer. Seems to only happen when it's real hot outside. 90°+ w/ lots of low speed turning. Level is right on. Truck does not have Hydroboost. I run Royal Purple EZ MAX fluid.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Hemi Dart
My PS fluid came out from the cap this summer. Seems to only happen when it's real hot outside. 90°+ w/ lots of low speed turning. Level is right on. Truck does not have Hydroboost. I run Royal Purple EZ MAX fluid.
Same here... But I'm running standard P/S Fluid. Strange part is it's not below the add mark yet. Same drool down the side of the P/S pump and down the front alxe... Clean fluid... But it only did it once and thats it...

As for the power brakes... Might work fine. Even with the key off I get about 5-6 hits on it before it dies. So its not the accumulator...
Old 10-14-2006, 09:19 AM

That can happen when the reservoir is over-filled even a little, so you mignt consider the p\s cooler from the factory towing package - bolts right in to the factory provided location.

Or even better, an aftermarket cooler - really helps with jacked suspension and over-sized tires.

And towing, of course.