24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

POWER STEERING pushed fluid out cap of pump?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
POWER STEERING pushed fluid out cap of pump?

While my truck was sitting in the garage for the past two nights, not running, a large puddle (1/2 quart) appeared under the truck near the left front tire. There is no trail of oil or trail of drips indicating that it had been leaking as I drove the truck in two days before. One side of the pump is wet from oil running down so it appears that power steering fluid was pushed out the cap of the pump and onto the floor. There is no oil spray in the engine compartment indicating that it was not leaking while running. The reservoir is now showing overfull (I did not over fill it), but when I start the truck, the power steering does not assist turning, the steering wheel turns very hard. Any ideas on what would cause this?

I have not had time to fully troubleshoot the issue, does anyone have any ideas? pump? sector? help!
Old 10-11-2006, 10:36 AM

Do a search for a pump seal kit , remember that in the back side of the P.S. is the vacume pump , not sure but it may be sucking oil from crankcase .
Old 10-11-2006, 12:13 PM

Black oil in the reservoir would mean engine oil forcing past the vac pump seals into the p\s pump.

No black oil? could be the valving for the hydroboost accumulator leaking - that 'reserve' ps fluid would overflow the reservoir.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by gmctd
Black oil in the reservoir would mean engine oil forcing past the vac pump seals into the p\s pump.

No black oil? could be the valving for the hydroboost accumulator leaking - that 'reserve' ps fluid would overflow the reservoir.
Nope, oil is definately not black, the oil on the floor and in the reservoir is clean. It definately seems like it came out under low pressure. It seems to have leaked about a half quart on the floor and then stopped. Where can I learn more about the hydro boost accumulator?
Old 10-11-2006, 01:06 PM

Do a search here or on the 'net for Bendix Hydroboost - main unit is not generally repairable, but the accumulator may still be available for replacement.

Be very careful - the accumulator contains nitrogen under very high pressure.

GM, Ford, Dodge all the same but for pressure rating.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The hydraulic boost accumulator should provide enough system pressure for 2 or 3 stops should the engine quit running. If you want to check the accumulator, start the truck and run it for a minute or so. Now, shut the truck off and apply the brakes. If you don't have any assist, the accumulator has lost its charge. When this happens (i.e., the accumulator loses its nitrogen charge), it will blow fluid out of the power steering pump reservoir since this pump supplies the hydraulic boost system (steering and brakes).

Rusty
Old 10-11-2006, 02:23 PM

Thanks for the info, this helps alot. I found a picture and a supplier for a Bendix Hydro boost.

dw
Old 10-11-2006, 04:01 PM

If the acc has lost it's charge, you won't have any reserve braking with engine off, nor will it blow ps fluid out the reservoir
Old 10-11-2006, 04:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No, it will blow the fluid out of the reservoir when the pressurized nitrogen is released into the hydraulic system as the accumulator loses its charge. I've reworded my earlier post to clarify this.

Rusty
Old 10-11-2006, 08:03 PM

Agreed..............
Old 10-11-2006, 10:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your pump is now air bound thats why it wont work. Check the level once it starts and see if it goes down. Look closer for the leak.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:36 AM

Ran the truck last night for a few minutes, power steering came back, oil level was low, topped up the oil level. The brakes seem to be power assisted while running, the power assist seems weaker than before the accumulator blew out (takes a little more foot pressure to brake), but still seems power assisted, is that normal in this situation. And, just as has been described in the above threads, the power assist went away immediately when the truck is shut off. Therefore I am assuming my accumulator is shot.

QUESTION - What is the risk of running the truck as it is now? Is the oil contaminated by the gas in the booster? With power assist from the pump but no help from the accumulator, is there any issue with driving the truck as is for a few weeks?

Thanks all
Old 10-12-2006, 12:30 PM

It's safe long as the engine is running - you'll need to be constructed like Arnold Schwartzenegger to brake it if the engine dies, tho.

The accumulator screws out of the 'booster, and is usually available seperately - just pop it out and pop the new one in, iirc.
Old 10-12-2006, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by gmctd
The accumulator screws out of the 'booster, and is usually available seperately - just pop it out and pop the new one in, iirc.
Any Idea on what the part number would be or where I could find it? Is dodge the only source or would a jobber be able to find?

dw
Old 10-12-2006, 04:30 PM

NAPA, or Dodge - Ford and GM also, maybe.

The color is the operating pressure rating - Gold for GM, Blue for Dodge, etc

Quick Reply: POWER STEERING pushed fluid out cap of pump?