24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Power steering brake questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power steering brake questions

Ok I am still new to diesels. So my question is the power streering, power brake setup. So I assume they are connected in a way? Also I see the power steering pump but what drives it? The reasong is there is oil, or a oil type of fluid all over the front of the engine. It seems the power steering pump is leaking somewhere. It is low on fluid and the brakes are acting up, They dont have the same "feel", kinda touchy but the pedal semms lower than normal. Only had the truck about 6 weeks so far. still under warranty but I want an idea of whats wrong before taking it in. So I never thought about it, but do diesel draw a vacuum? or enough to run the power brakes? Thx. Just kinda lost on this part of the truck.
Old 05-29-2004, 04:23 PM

The vacuum pump and power steering pump are gear driven off the engine. A common problem with them is the shaft seal in the vacuum pump leaking. When making the repair, you should replace both the vacuum pump seal and o-rings. This job is not covered under the engine warranty (at least not for me). Dodge dealers used to not be able to get just the seals and would only be able to replace the entire pump ($$$). I heard that they now have the seals. Otherwise, your local Cummins shop has the parts.

That does not explain why you say your power steering fluid is low. Engine oil is what would be leaking out of the vacuum pump/power steering pump assembly. I would clean it off good, refill your levels, and check for leaks. If you look up from under the truck, you will see a chrome shaft that runs between the power steering and vacuum pumps. When they leak, you will see dripping off of that shaft.

If you want to, do a search on vacuum pumps or power steering pumps and you will get alot of info and part numbers for the repair.
Old 05-29-2004, 11:49 PM

Cool thx for the tips.