24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

power to run LP

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question power to run LP

I was wondering if anyone knows where the power to the LP comes from. I just changed mine today, trying to save the IP, on a 1998.5 24v. My system isn't bleeding by bumping the starter. Old pump ran when hooked up to 12volts, off the engine. I didn't think about checking out the new pump befor install. Have checked all the fuses and the fuel relay-would like to ohm out the wires, but with out the schmatics all I can do is the scratch the head rutine. By the way I am new here-so howdy everyone. I am comeing to relize the 24v's are much diferent than my 93

Thanks for the ideas
Old 03-19-2005, 07:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The power comes from the ECM. I forget which way though. The ECM may just be providing ground and the pump is hot on one side all the time the ignition's on.

Chris
Old 03-19-2005, 07:47 PM

check for power at the fuel sys relay in the pdc, you can jumper there to see if you have good continuity, be careful about ohm loading the harness as the ecm is touchy.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:06 PM

Thats an idea, I will short the wires together at the relay and ohm at the plug. Outch the check engine just started comeing on. When the sun comes up will check that. Thanks for the ideas
Old 03-19-2005, 08:22 PM

Thats an idea, I will short the wires together at the relay and ohm at the plug. Outch the check engine just started comeing on. When the sun comes up will check that. Thanks for the ideas
Old 03-20-2005, 11:33 AM

u get it running yet..dad
Old 03-20-2005, 04:16 PM

DN55 & grease:
Your signiture please?
Thanks man!
Old 03-20-2005, 07:13 PM

Well got 12 volts to the pump-runs great, gonna do a manual switch for right now. All went well except for too much blow back pumping oil all over-yes a blown head gasket! Anyway torn apart waiting to order parts tommrow from Cummins, slam her back together to cross country in a week. Would like to O ring it, but not enough time, this time. I look at it this way, gonna get profecent at changing the head for O-rings next time!

Thanks for the ideas
Old 03-20-2005, 09:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by dieselnut55
Well got 12 volts to the pump-runs great, gonna do a manual switch for right now. All went well except for too much blow back pumping oil all over-yes a blown head gasket! Anyway torn apart waiting to order parts tommrow from Cummins, slam her back together to cross country in a week. Would like to O ring it, but not enough time, this time. I look at it this way, gonna get profecent at changing the head for O-rings next time!

Thanks for the ideas
Instead of a manual switch, just hook the hot wire to the output of the ASD relay in the box. It will turn off and on properly. Ground the other wire to the frame and it will work as new except that it will not have the lower voltage to start. If you just wait for the wait to start light to go out it will start just fine.

If your engine is stock, why would you need o rings.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:27 AM

Smile

he wants to o-ring it cuz when he gets back from the trip hes gunna hop er up probobly(sp)
Old 03-21-2005, 05:38 AM

That sounds like an idea, would prevent an extra switch on the dash. The reason I want to o-ring it is because this is the 2nd head gasket in this truck. I knew the people that owned it befor me, and they had some troubles with it. Mostly because it was young kids driveing it too ruff, with a full load draging behind them. Fact it was in the shop more than on the road. I know it has been gone through completely, and know the indivual that did it. You are probably right-all I need is stock.

Thanks for the input all