24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Possible custom tuning product - input needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 11:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Possible custom tuning product - input needed

Time to pick your brains a bit...

I've been working on figuring out the Cummins programming for a while, and now that I've figured out enough to be able to start tuning my own truck, I'd like to see how much interest there is in a system that would allow you to do your own modifications to the truck's programming. This would be similar to the EFILive stuff the Duramax crowd has, but limited by the capabilities of the vp44 - I don't think there is any more horsepower available than any other product out there that does not tap the pump wire.

In its simplest form, the product could consist of the editor software, the download software, and the USB cable to connect the PC/laptop to the truck's OBD connector.

A more complex approach would be to create a handheld 'box' that you transfer your custom file to, and the box would plug into the OBD connector to download the file to the truck.

Please be aware that this setup would ONLY be for engine tuning, it is not capable of doing anything in the PCM (ABS, tire size, etc.)

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Old 06-02-2008, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I watched your ECM post with interest..not being an electronics genius it was far above me...But I would like to find a way to make more torque at lower rpms and keep my auto from thinking needs to shift down on a steep grade under heavy loads..my lock up switch helps alot now..but I find that the tranny settings in my 47re stink for diesel when you give it more throttle on a 6-12% grade it downshifts and you lose all power then it downshifts again.. not sure how you would adjust these but if you could I would love to get a interface and download off my laptop..By the way awesome the way you tore into that ECU and figured the whole system out...
Old 06-03-2008, 03:45 PM

custom tuning

that sounds like what we would love to have as long as it will play nice with the wire tap boxes that give us the fuel we all like.
if it doesn't work with the wire tap boxes it might be a good tool to use with the monster pump that has alot of fueling availible w/o the boxes.

please keep us posted and if its able to be marketed what kind of pricing? efi live pricing?
Old 06-05-2008, 06:09 PM

will it allow the torque management to be disabled on auto trans trucks.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:35 PM

Sadly, someone already beat you to it. It's a good idea, and one I've long wanted. Not that a little competition isn't good, but unless it came as feature packed as the "other" company, it probably wouldn't sell.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by xtoyz17
Sadly, someone already beat you to it. It's a good idea, and one I've long wanted. Not that a little competition isn't good, but unless it came as feature packed as the "other" company, it probably wouldn't sell.
Show me a product that lets you directly edit the fueling and timing maps for the 98.5-02 Cummins, and then I might think of calling it quits...
Old 06-06-2008, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Jdonoghue
Show me a product that lets you directly edit the fueling and timing maps for the 98.5-02 Cummins, and then I might think of calling it quits...
You've never heard of the adrenaline/pulse combo I take it?
Old 06-06-2008, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by xtoyz17
You've never heard of the adrenaline/pulse combo I take it?
Perhaps I need to do more research, then. From what I understood, it was adjustable and/or there were different programs available from the manufacturer. Take a look at the EFIlive product the GM Duramax guys are using - that's what I'm trying to do.

Jim
Old 06-06-2008, 11:56 AM
Chapter President

Don't let quad's product deter your effort. If you can put something out that's cheaper and will accomplish the same thing, go for it.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:47 PM

You can not map your own program with the quad.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:20 PM

Don't worry about anything deterring my effort. This is a spare-time fun project for me. If I succeed in making something that people want to buy, that will be good, and maybe I'll be able to afford some mods for my trucks! If not, oh well, it's still a fun project anyway.
If I get bored, I have a '07.5 6.7L truck in the driveway who's ECM is begging me to tinker with it...
Old 06-06-2008, 02:03 PM
Chapter President

I would be interested. I am glad you finally cracked the ECM and got some tuning done. This is big news I am surprised more people aren't interested.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by haloman
I would be interested. I am glad you finally cracked the ECM and got some tuning done. This is big news I am surprised more people aren't interested.
I think the lack of interest comes from the fact that there are a lot of 'plug-and-play' choices out there right now, and hacking the ECM won't give you the kind of power that a box with a vp44 wire-tap will.

If a product ever comes from this research, it will not be for everyone. Taking a stock ECM file, and changing the maps yourself, is not something to be taken lightly.

Jim
Old 06-08-2008, 06:54 PM

i would be interested. dont know anything bout the EFIlive for the duramax but it sounds like awesome idea
Old 06-08-2008, 07:10 PM

progress

jim keep hacking away at it. keep us post on the progress and details what can be tweeked and all thats possible to be modified.

Quick Reply: Possible custom tuning product - input needed