24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Poor Fuel Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 12:39 AM

Received 142 Likes on 108 Posts
Good point about winter blend. Expect to loose up to a couple mpg with winter fuel. And then dont forget that ULSD has less BTU's than LSD which in turn has lowered our fuel mileage too.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KATOOM
Are you using the overhead display or are you hand calculating? And even at that, are you calculating the right way? I say that because there is loads of wild fuel mileage claims and then there's been guys who will use the speedo running different size tires and divide miles by the size of the tank, not the fuel uses. So inaccuracy is ramped.
i am on stock tire size
2wd
4.10 rear gear
not lifted
no extra weight

mods are exhaust / banks ram / edge juice

when i drive the truck i rarely goose it..
always go speed limit or 5 mph under.
never really sees more than 65 mph..

its all in how heavy your right foot is.

and the calculations are made manually

basing it on mileage of current fillup - mileage of last fillup / gallons of fuel added

when i tow i am getting around 14-16. 16 ft enclosed w/ 8k lbs

also add a qt of 2 stroke every fill up.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:19 PM

My mpg has dropped much more than usual so far this winter. We have had serious snow falls and very cold temps. I also added a 2500 pound block of concrete in the bed. I've had the chains on a dozen times already and pulled out a number of cars and trucks just so I could get in my spots. I can't complain too much. That big block of concrete really helps. Just make sure it is tied down good.

I'm down to about 14 around town which I'm drivng much more than usual. I do find that even going a bit out of the way to drive on the highway and avoid stop lights is better for mileage.

Even summer time mileage has dropped off. I got a high of 19.8 last summer driving 58 on the highway. Over 65 will drop mpg by at least 1. Generally 18-19 even.

Towing my GN car trailer in the summer I get 13-15 pretty consistantly as long as I stay on the highway. In town of course it drops due to the dang stoplights.

I'm beginning to suspect that the injectors are worn out and need replacing. Not going to do it this winter unless absolutely necessary.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:07 PM

Location: Then, raised central PA; Now where ever Uncle Sam sends me.
All the suggested reasons for the drop are very valid. Not sure who asked the question about more information on the truck but that would help alot. Something that would really affect fuel mileage that I didnt notice anyone touching on is valve adjustment. Do not recall seeing mileage for this vehicle but valve adjustment can really hurt fuel mileage. It about the only thing I didnt see covered. Just something else to think about.

Ben
Old 12-21-2010, 04:04 PM

You might do a search on here on 2nd gen "Poor Fuel Mileage". besides the points here, it seems thare are 2-3 sensors that can get dirty and cause poor mileage. Some can be cleaned, others replaced. None too expensive.
Keeping tire presuure up is good too, I think at least 60 psi all around, if not more in the front.
I did not see where you are, but if it is really cold, maybe a 10w-30 blend for the winter.
Just some thoughts!
Do you tow a lot? I know the 3.55's would help, but not sure if that is worth the time or money.
Another vote to check the valves, can't hurt a thing.
Good luck, hope you get it better!!
Old 12-21-2010, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by supr
You might do a search on here on 2nd gen "Poor Fuel Mileage". besides the points here, it seems thare are 2-3 sensors that can get dirty and cause poor mileage. Some can be cleaned, others replaced. None too expensive.Keeping tire presuure up is good too, I think at least 60 psi all around, if not more in the front.
I did not see where you are, but if it is really cold, maybe a 10w-30 blend for the winter.
Just some thoughts!
Do you tow a lot? I know the 3.55's would help, but not sure if that is worth the time or money.
Another vote to check the valves, can't hurt a thing.
Good luck, hope you get it better!!
The IAT and the MAP sensors can get dirty, causing reading errors resulting in lower hp and mileage, but this problem is mostly common on exhaust brake equipped engines. Years back, there was a few threads regarding relocating them or at least the IAT so that its out of the way but it didn't really go anywhere, even though a few tried it.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:18 PM

Well let me jump onto the fire.

Left Grove okla. Dec 10 arrived in central fla (3 days later) AVERAGED 21.4

drove 65 and 70. sometimes a litttttttle over.

take it or leave it.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:23 PM

Haven't taken a road trip in so long, I'm curious to see what I'd get.