24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Please Help First Dodge Diesel!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Help First Dodge Diesel!!!!!!

IM LOOKIN AT PURCHASING A USED DODGE DIESEL..WAS WOUNDER WHAT THE DIFFERENCE IN THE 12V AND 24 V IS OTHER THAN 12 VALVES??? WHAT ARE COMMON PROBLEMS WITH BOTH ENGINES? WHICH ONES ARE EASIER TO UP THE HORSES?? JUST A LITTLE OF YOUR GUYS IDEAS AND THOUGHTS ON THE TWO DIFFERENT MOTORS.. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT!!!

LATER ROBERT
Old 06-10-2004, 10:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Both are great in my book. I prefer the 24v from the drivability standpoint, but a modded 12v can drive just as nice. Here's my .02. Common things on the 12 valve that I see: TPS failure, no start due to corroded 12v feed for fuel shutoff solenoid, or bad fuel shutoff relay. Once in awile a bad fuel shutoff solenoid which is a bit spendy. Cracked fuel return lines (rubber, no biggie). I also saw alot more trannies fail in the 12v days. On the 24v....oh where do I start...probably with the lift pump. We have to baby sit them so that we can hope that a good supply of fuel will keep our VP 44 fuel injection pump happy (although it's no guarantee that it will live). It seems the tranny failures started to slow down a quite a bit by 99. Maybe it's just me, but it seems I ran into a lot of weird electrical issues on the 98.5s.
As far as upping the hp, it's probably easier on the 24 valve since their are a bunch of "plug in and go" fuel/timing boxes avail. Good luck in your search of a "new to you" Cummins.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:58 AM

This site has much, much info for you to gaze through and become completely familiar if not well educated with the dodge cummins diesel. Keep you busy for hours a day, and some long nights too. Welcome aboard!! Once you get your truck, you will want to come back for any problems you may have and also how to BOMB that baby too...catch the bug and you'll be hooked.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:53 PM
Banned

Buy the newest one you can afford and you will not be sory for that!
Old 06-12-2004, 12:55 PM
CJ

I would vote for the 02 24 valve IMO thats the best looking body style and they had most of the bugs worked out of the fuel system. Of course I am a little partial just my .02 CJ
Old 06-13-2004, 08:29 AM

I'm another 02 fan myself... I've have only a rear seal go out and one bad u Joint.

Other that that I've got good power from the 4.10 gears for hualin' and a nice 5 speed trans that puts the power to the ground!

Engine wise I never seen a problem yet (knocking on wood!) 41,000 and counting. Getting about 21 MPG.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Robert

Welcome! .02 more cents for a 2002.

-Dodge/Cummins had 3 yrs to solve 2nd Gen problems before 02 came out.
-There are many on the market without major high mileage.
-Plenty of HP options and as easy to do as 12v's.
-More hp (stock) to start with.
-4 wheel disk breaks are a must, IMO. Won't find on 12v.
-Should have reasonable pick of options if willing to travel within 200 miles to pick it up.
-Find one in the 40-50,000 mile range and you still have lots of warranty left.
-I have had no major suprises with mine in 35,000 miles.
-Recommend 3.55 rear end unless towing heavy and often.

Decide what your need for options and what you would like, then get on the internet. You don't say where you live but start your search at 50 miles and work your way out till you find exactly what you want.
Anyway, that system worked for me; only thing I didn't find was my favorite color. But found one under 20,000 miles (in Jan, 2003) when was willing to settle for under 50,000.

Rowland

PS, Don't forget www.carfax.com when you find one you like.
Old 06-15-2004, 01:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi,

I searched for 3 solid months before we got our '99CTD. We LOVE it! I started out searching for the perfect match to all the features I wanted, ended up settling on a couple of things. Wanted std tranny, got an auto. Held out for leather interior, though!

Definitely carfax it. We had to get one long distance and couldn't afford to also go and inspect it ourselves, so I paid one of the online inspection services to do it. They did the inspection really fast, but I wonder what their qualifications are! Turned out being a Michigan truck the exhaust system was pretty rusted, and the muffler broke loose from its entrance pipe. The inspection said the exhaust system was fine! Odd, since they did note the small amount of rust on the inside of the driver door frame - no biggie, just discolored at this point.

Also, we dealt with a used vehicle dealership. I asked about rust, and he said no problems. Well, these guys hardly inspect these vehicles. In my imagination, they check the vehicle out thoroughly, so don't make that assumption or you'll make an *** outta u and me! Also, I think those idiots drove the truck between when we bought it and got it delivered. There was a bumper dent that was not mentioned when we asked about body damage, and the inspection didn't turn it up either. There were 5th wheel rails installed with a rubber bed mat when we bought it, but without mentioning it they removed the rails and installed a new (cheap) bedliner. Well, we wanted those rails! And, the over-rail liner was covering a dent on one of the rails that I think happened in their care - probably were trying to hide it with the new liner!

Not much I can do about these things now. Still adore the truck. Getting a 4" exhaust system online. Getting rail caps, too. So, beware if you have to deal with dealers and grill them about EVERYTHING! Get pictures, good ones, from all sides and angles. The ones they sent me were "overexposed." When the perfect CTD turns up, have your financing already set to go, because they get snapped up so fast it is blinding!

Good luck!

betsycam
'99 2500 CTD QC LB 4X4, white, black leather, stock everything
Woodside, CA