24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

pictures attached - what are these? exhaust brake and rear lift blocks?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 09:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pictures attached - what are these? exhaust brake and rear lift blocks?

OK, I'm having a heck of a time sealing the deal on a new truck. Here are some pics from a truck I'm looking at right now.

One of the pics is the elbow behind the turbo. I can see there is a pyrometer mounted in the elbow, but I don't know what the hard line is and I don't know what the blue canister is. Is that an exhaust brake? What's the hard line for?

The other two pics are of the rear springs. It appears there is a seperate block under the standard blocks under the rear springs. Although, it could be just the spring perch on top of the axle. What do you think?

Thanks.

Roy
Attached Thumbnails pictures attached - what are these?  exhaust brake and rear lift blocks?-01-dodge-d_25.jpg   pictures attached - what are these?  exhaust brake and rear lift blocks?-01-dodge-d_8.jpg   pictures attached - what are these?  exhaust brake and rear lift blocks?-01-dodge-d_9.jpg  
Old 03-01-2010, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you have u-bolts for the springs and another set for the airbags. the block has a flange off to the side as a bump stop on compression. never had a exhaust brake but looks like one. dont know what type. truck looks nice and clean underneath.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:21 PM

The rear end looks stock and freshly painted. My guess on the other is that it is an exhaust brake. Someone should come along and be able to positively identify it.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:25 PM

Yeah, I can see the u-bolts for the springs and for the airbags. I'm talking about what's between the block and the axle. Spring perches or something aftermarket?
Old 03-01-2010, 09:37 PM

Spring perch.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:50 PM

I dont know if the blocks are stock or not. but that is a bd exhaust brake. it says bd on it in the pic.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:04 PM

OK, got it...spring perches. Thanks.

Does anybody know what the hard line is that's coming out of the exhaust elbow. Not the pyrometer thermocouple, but the hard line.

Sorry. I'm not familiar with exhaust brakes. Now I realize that the brake replaces the stock elbow. Does anybody know what the hard line is that comes out of the exhaust brake? Where does it run to?

Thanks.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wish the underside of my truck looked that good..

-dkenny
Old 03-02-2010, 01:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
look and see if the truck has an exhaust back pressure gauge some where thats what the hard line is or is some kind of relief
Old 03-02-2010, 10:02 PM

I'm not sure if I'm going to pick up that truck. The salesman is frustrating the crap out of me. He tells me the bed rails were drilled for a shell, but he doesn't bother sending me pictures of it. I explain to him that I'm shopping from 850 miles away, and that I can't just go out there on a whim, so it's important that he takes pictures of any imperfections. Either he's a lousy salesman, or he's trying to deceive. Let's face it, it takes more than "it's a nice truck" to get someone to come out and look at it, especially if it's a LONG drive or an expensive airplane ticket.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by royta
I'm not sure if I'm going to pick up that truck. The salesman is frustrating the crap out of me. He tells me the bed rails were drilled for a shell, but he doesn't bother sending me pictures of it. I explain to him that I'm shopping from 850 miles away, and that I can't just go out there on a whim, so it's important that he takes pictures of any imperfections. Either he's a lousy salesman, or he's trying to deceive. Let's face it, it takes more than "it's a nice truck" to get someone to come out and look at it, especially if it's a LONG drive or an expensive airplane ticket.
someone would think that in the economy we are in that a shop would be willing to go that extra step for someone wanting to buy. also really hard for you to see how she runs. to bad it is so far away.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what about bribing someone on this board that lives closer to go have a look?
I would do it for you but I'm too far away.

-dkenny
Old 03-03-2010, 02:31 PM

It looks like the whole underside of that truck has been painted, right down to the brake lines. This would raise some red flags for me. Why has it been painted? What is the paint hiding?

Where is the truck? You should have someone go look at it for you and take their own pictures so you see what the dealer is not showing you.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:55 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
I was about to suggest what boney said. A freshly painted undercarriage is a nice touch after you get it home, but when a dealership does it I get a little gunshy.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
painting the under side is standard around hear my 01 had the whole under side paineted .some times $10 in paint is the dff, between a sale or not, if you look real close you will see a problem under the paint

Quick Reply: pictures attached - what are these? exhaust brake and rear lift blocks?