24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Passing up good deals left and right

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Passing up good deals left and right

Hey yall, in my quest to find the 12v 3500 5 speed that I want I've been passing up some great deals on similar 24v trucks. I mostly dont like the idea of all them electronics and all. I hear about the fuel pump or lifter pump going out alot. I'm wondering how common that actualy is.<br><br>What about the other electrical components, and common failures to consider?<br><br>I imagine that one of these motors will be a bit more expensive to Bomb huh? Not looking for super high HP or anything, just enough to have fun in when not towing.<br><br><br>Today I looked at a black 99 quad cab 4x4 3500 with a 5 speed and power windows/locks, ect. Real nice truck, flip over goose neck and everything. The guy was only asking $15K. That's a purdy good deal around here.
Old 01-16-2003, 11:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Re:Passing up good deals left and right

Sounds like a dang fine deal from here. The lift pump is a problem, but 600 bucks (the cost of 2 lift pumps from DC), will get you an aftermarket pump and steel braided lines that are larger in diameter, better for the injector pump, and later bombs. This can be done cheaper, but it isn't wise to skimp on the lines. I know from experience.<br>And if it has less than 100K, the lift pump is still covered, if you want to trust the dealer to change it.<br><br>I have a 24v so I don't know about ths cost of mods. I have heard that 12v is cheaper but I don't know how much.<br>on the 12v you have to worry about that killer doewl pin. Not a big deal to do the preventative fix, from what I understand. However, there's a rumor that the 99's also can experience the dowel problem. You can see the KDP thread for more info.<br><br>I suppose anything you get will have its own issues, so you just have to get what you like.<br><br>Chris
Old 01-17-2003, 11:08 AM
Banned

The lift pump isn't that big of a deal. There like 150 bucks from Cummins. Very easy to replace. And unless you really rag on it, I don't see a problem with it. And like Stamey said, if it's got less than 100K on it, it's still covered by warranty. For almost 400 bucks, you can do a complete upgrade of the fuel system if you want. Different fuel pump and larger lines.
Old 01-17-2003, 06:32 PM

Thanks yall. I'm thinking I will end up with a 24v. I realy like their interior better. I'm going to San Antonio again tomorrow to look at a couple more trucks.<br><br>Gauges (fuel pressure, pyro, and boost), exhaust brake, intake, and stacks are going to be the first mods soon as I find the right truck. ;D
Old 01-17-2003, 07:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it has low miles you better jump on it that is one heck of a deal. The 24 isnt that hard to bomb and the lift pump is not that of a big deal.
Old 01-17-2003, 07:59 PM

I'm just not sure I want a black truck. Been there before and regreted it. They look awesome, but to hard to take care of.<br><br>This is one of the trucks I'm looking at tomorrow. The other one is set up the same, but it's a white 4x4.<br>
Old 01-17-2003, 08:34 PM

I just bought a 99, 5spd. Came from Texas to me in MO. Gave a little more than your silver one. Mine be white ;D. Found it had a bad lift pump second week I had it. Less that 100k and had to fight with a local dealer here nearly 2 weeks to get it replaced. Important - Know your dealer! I could have picked up new LP from my Cummins shop for around $165 and done it myself. Lesson Learned.<br><br>Look at that 99, the original LP had exposed electrical terminals on the bottom. If it doesn't it may have been changed before. If it does and you change it later you'll neeed an adapter pigtail available from Cummins or DC. I think the Cummins $165 price also included that pigtail. <br><br>Happy Shopping
Old 01-17-2003, 08:43 PM

Wish I had a Silver one. Mine's white, which isn't bad, but a little &quot;plainer&quot; than the silver, to me.<br><br>Chris
Old 01-17-2003, 08:47 PM

Plain? White is clean.
Old 01-17-2003, 08:54 PM

Every vehicle I've owned but two have been white (one was a red and white 85 Blazer 4x4 and the other was a 92 Honda crotch rocket motorcycle that was red and white) and I'm kinda sick of it. Looks too much like a fleet/service truck. I want something differant this time around. <br><br>Thanks for the tip 99Guy, I'll check on that.
Old 01-18-2003, 08:40 AM

[quote author=NAIL BENDER link=board=4;threadid=9730;start=0#93347 date=1042858039]<br>Plain? White is clean.<br>[/quote]<br><br>No, white hides dirt. But for me, white is better than black because my former daily driver, before the truck, was a black BMW with black interior. I kept a thermometer in the car. Coming out from work on a summer day I got into the car and the interior temperature was 140-150 degrees. It took better than 3/4 the ride home for the AC to overcome the heat that was radiating out of all of the interior components. I was tryin to get away from that.<br>Black's OK if you're in a cool area or have a permanent shady parking spot.<br><br>Chris
Old 01-18-2003, 08:46 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey CT, I have the same truck you are describing it sounds like. Bought brand new and now coming up on 117000 and I have replaced the lift pump once, four shocks, one belt, two batteries, and six tires. I pull up to 26000 with mine with no problems. Just added the EZ a couple months ago. Sounds like you are pasing a good deal there if the truck is in good shape. You can see pics of mine on page two of the members photo section under dieseldude4x4's pics and hobbies.<br>The lift pump is not that big of a deal if you have a gauge and monitor it.<br>Good luck.
Old 01-18-2003, 08:50 AM

[quote author=dieseldude4x4 link=board=4;threadid=9730;start=0#93431 date=1042901184]<br>You can see pics of mine on page two of the members photo section under dieseldude4x4's pics and hobbies.<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Yeah, and check out his chrome stacks, if he put those pics out there. They look really good. A very professional install.<br><br>Chris
Old 01-18-2003, 11:18 AM

Yea, I've been looking at them pics since I joined the board. They're a little too tall for my taste, but other wise look awesome! That's one of the trucks that has inspired me to want to put stacks on soon as I get a Cummins.<br><br>Speaking of wich, it's bout time for me to leave to go look at them truck. See yall. 8)
Old 01-18-2003, 10:03 PM

Central Texan,<br><br>I bought my truck from Eagle Diesel back at the end of July. I would be a little wary of dealing with them.<br><br> First off, it took them a MONTH AND A HALF to get me the title and new plates for the truck. It had handicapped plates on it (parking was great, just kidding ) But seriously, I called them when my paper plate was about to expire and they fed-exed me a new paper plate (I was in College Station at the time). When the second paper plate was about to expire I happened to be back in San Antonio and I stopped by and was like ummm where's my stuff and the bank wants the title?? They gave me 2 more paper plates.... ***??? I finally got the new plates in september.<br><br> Also, apparently the windshield had been replaced by the place they got the truck from so it had no stickers on the windshield, inspection or liscece. They wouldn't cover the inspection. <br><br>Also, I got approved for the truck on a monday and I had talked to them about switching the bolted on brushgaurd and bumper with another truck they had with a un-molested stock bumper. I told them when I called them with the news of my approval to go ahead and switch the bumpers. I picked the truck up on the following saturday... brushgaurd was still on....<br><br>Lastly, that warranty they offer with the trucks ain't worth a crap. The injection pump (not $150 lift pump, the $1350.00 injection pump) went out on my truck in the middle of august. EVEN if I had the Elite or premium, whatever the top-o-the-line upgrade on the warantee was it still wouldn't have covered it. Yeah it'll cover a alternator, or if you grenade the motor or trans but not the injection pump... pretty important part on any diesel vehicle if you ask me... motor could be fine but you still can't drive it with out a working injection pump.<br><br>Don't get me wrong, the guys there are real nice, and they have a decent selection of higher mileage trucks, but service is questionable.<br><br>Just my $.02<br>

Quick Reply: Passing up good deals left and right